Smart VoLTE and VoWiFi

Discussion in 'Smart Communications' started by Adarna, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

Watch the video for the benefits of WiFi Calling.

Anyone heard rumors of Globe or Smart adopting WiFi Calling?

Telcos like TMobile, Vodafone, Verizon have WiFI Calling.

This feature allows their customers to make cellular calls and SMS even when cellular signal is bad through WIFI.

This is different from Globe's AirBoost as no additional hardware is required to be installed where the dead signal area is located.

#1 Adarna, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    WhoisPMN likes this.
  2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

There's a little-known service from Globe called AirBoost. If you have a Platinum account or if your household has enough post-paid subscribers (I can't recall the minimum required cumulative plan amount), you may be able to request this.

The way I understand it is that they put a device that connects to your home broadband (regardless of the provider) and the device provides a 3G signal to that spot of area in your home that does not get 3G signal from their cell towers. This is preferred instead of the traditional repeater (which is both undesirable technically and illegal as well).

3. Adarna

AirBoost is not the same thing as WIFI calling. WIFI calling does not need additional hardware from your telco.

I have a lot of beef with Globe. They wasted so much of my time.

At the time of application I was a qualified Globe Platinum subscriber but various Platinium CSR gave me a run around and false information as to qualifying for it.

I eventually got an internal Globe document that disproved all their lies.

My guess is they wanted me to get more Platinium accounts and their lousy Fiber plans.

It took them so dang long to move on this that I just ended up converting all our Platinum accounts to P599 SIM only postpaids with unlimited calls to duo, globe & tm, unlimited text to all domestic networks and 3GB of data because they're a-holes.

And even that conversion took them over 12 months to do. They are currently rebating me for it because I submitted everything on time.

Rebate is so large that I do not have to pay any bills for over 4 years.

#3 Adarna, Oct 5, 2016
    rdy0329 and Sunil_K like this.
  4. oj88

You could have started with that.

I'm fully aware that they're not the same. But in this particular archipelago, that's the closest you can get to routing your carrier plan/subscription through the internet. Unless others can chime in or knows of any service offering that is similar to WiFi Calling, you should probably be looking at a secondary carrier (ie. dual-SIM) that has a signal where you need them to be, or get online subscription services that will allow you to call local mobile numbers and landlines from the internet (ie. Skype, Viber Out, etc.)

5. Adarna

oj, AirBoost was the farthest from my mind and not what I was asking about.

In fact the video explains what I was talking about and I started with that. :)

So anyone else here have inside info when Globe or Smart will do this?

#5 Adarna, Oct 5, 2016
  6. oj88

Look, I wouldn't know what's on your mind. I am simply suggesting an alternative solution to your problem, which is weak/no carrier signal. There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

7. Adarna

My apologies for being testy.

The people I communicate with only feature phones that can only do SMS and cellular calls so installing apps on their end is not possible.

WIFI Calling is a feature any telco can easily do and help reduce costs on their end in needing to overlap WIFI hotspots and micro cellular sites.

8. oj88

Though I can't and don't represent the telco industry, I can only hypothesize that they probably don't have enough demand to make the service viable. Also, they always brag about full nationwide coverage with 3G and/or 4G so offering WiFi calling might indirectly undermine their claim. That's probably why Globe kept Airboost buried under several web layers and is pretty much unheard of by their mainstream call center agents.

Again, just my opinion.

But to revisit my suggestion earlier, you can try a subscription using Skype. They have a monthly subscription worth $14.49 (about P700). It includes 200 minutes of voice calls (landline and mobile calls combined). Or you can opt for Pay-as-you-go type... 12¢ per minute and 6.6¢ per text message. (Those are US¢. That's around P6 per minute for calls and P3.25 per text).

Again, it's an idea worth considering if the ability to communicate with your people is critical to you and the only connection you have is the internet via WiFi..

EDIT: Just realized this as it may be a show-stopper for you. The main disadvantage here is that, they can't call you. Unfortunately, the service that allows you to have a PH number that your people can call locally, that is then redirected to your Skype account, is not yet available.

#8 oj88, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    raypin likes this.
  9. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

basically wifi-calling is telcos answer to viber/whatsapp. only advantage is you dont have to install a 3rd party app.

10. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Been waiting for this for ages! Globe should absolutely offer this, most smartphones can be equipped with special settings so they can take advantage of WiFi Calling out-of-the-box. I mean, if Globe can pre-install apps (GServices, etc) on the Android phones they offer, they can do so with WiFi Calling settings as well. For iPhones, no need for that as it is configured on the carrier update file, they can even push it out to older iPhones going back to iPhone 5S.

With WiFi Calling, they wouldn't have to roll out as much AirBoost hardware than they do now.

11. Adarna

It's 2018 any hope of enabling Wi-Fi Calling? This would be really useful for those with lousy signal at home.

12. neilrg

Globe so far only offers WiFi Calling to select postpaid customers with eligible Samsung phones:
    Note 5
    S7/S7 Edge
    S8/S8+
    J7 Pro
    J7+
    Note FE
    Note 8

Ang tagal sa iPhone :(

13. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

My sister got a message that wifi calling is enabled for her mobile number (S7). They're on beta test but an updated carrier profile could in fact bring it to iPhones (6 and up) in the near future.

14. neilrg

Yeah, it’s only a matter of time. By the way, what’s your sister’s feedback on WiFi Calling?

15. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's clearer ala HD Voice (depends on who you talk to) connecting time is about the same, voice delay is minimal.

Adarna likes this.
  16. neilrg

I hope they roll out this year.

Adarna likes this.
  17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...was just at my sister’s house. She got a carrier setting update notice from smart on her iPhone Xs Max re: wifi calling. It is now active. We tried calling from a location well inside her house where there was no Smart cellular signal ( or Globe for that matter) and we were able to make several outgoing calls.

2C01926E-3B76-4F8E-AEAA-4415665EDCDF.jpeg 493C23FE-4354-425B-9BC9-9DC8CA2E173C.jpeg

Second pic shows no signal bars on her smart (or globe) numbers but the call(s) went through, crystal-clear audio ( like having 4 bars).

Checked settings for her Globe line. Wifi calling cannot be activated or enabled.

No more dropped calls for smart subscribers owing to poor or no cellular reception.

Globe wifi calling for iPhone is probably on the way. Looking forward.....

#17 raypin, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Dekra, Fervish, Juice and 4 others like this.
  18. AVG

AVG Active Member

My mom has Note 8 but when I tested the feature its not yet working :( I’ve been waiting also for Wi-Fi calling for years with our local telcos, since I got to taste of it with T-Mobile, no more deadspots kahit no cellular signal. I heard that smart has It already pati VoLTE sana Globe din.

19. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

How do we know if wifi calling is activated or working? I have a globe sim inserted in my s10 and you can toggle wifi calling. When i insert it on my iphone there is no toggle option.

20. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Even if it is not activated and the phone detects you have WiFi connection and weak to no cell signal, it will ask you if you want to enable WiFi calling to complete your call. My wife just tried it - we were at one of the Ayala Malls where Smart signal is pathetic, but she was on a Globe MiFi. Tried to make a call and her iPhone SE asked if she wants to continue via WiFi calling - she activated it and the call went through.