wi-tribe WiMAX

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by bluedragonph, Jan 31, 2010.

1. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I was intrigued by the three-page ad by a new 4G service called wi-tribe. What is this all about? How does it work? How much is 4G subscription? I hope this won't be too expensive. Check out www.wi-tribe.ph

2. ruprup

ruprup Member

Re: Wi-Tribe What is this?

It might be like WiMax although faster.

As I read in the website, they are backed up by San Miguel

3. ekacpuc

ekacpuc Member

I was at greenhills this afternoon and i saw the Wi-Tribe stand and inquired, the promo girt replied that is was an internet service provider committing a 1MBP internet service. Well for other details they got hold of my business card and told me that i would be receiving a call from them the soonest.

What i saw at the stand was a Motorola modem. Looking forward.........

4. geloph

geloph Member

the motorola modem was a turn-off for me cause I was expecting mobile 4G Internet.

If this has a sim I wonder if I can use the sim for 3G devices say an iPhone or an iPad? I am scouting for a globe visibility replacement in time for April or May would-be gadget. :)

5. bluedragonph

I also thought it was a mobile internet. The website states "completely portable".

6. geloph

geloph Member

I went to Greenhills and saw their booth. Talked to a guy and asked where the product was -> he pointed at the bulky motorola modem (looking like a router). I was expecting a USB device.

7. bluedragonph

Hmmm... that's too bad :( if that is the case, what's new with a 1Mbp internet then? I'm confused.

8. mmarc

mmarc Member

is this available even outside metro manila?

9. dcph172

dcph172 Member

i think initially its for metro manila only. or atleast GMA. but am sure it will be available in the provinces soon cos my dad said san miguel will be providing them this wi-tribe thing for use sa office (in the province) since my dad's company is somewhat related in a six degrees way with san miguel, or something like that. goodbye commclark.

10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

....if it is powered by batteries and no other external antenna and even if it is the size of a router, I'd buy........however, what's the coverage area? 1 mbps is pretty good if it is portable and self-powered. Wimax ba sila? Seems to be the way to go for this kind of service......fast deployment, less CAPEX, much wider coverage..........

11. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

no rates on their services though. but the headquarters is near my old office. might just drop by.

12. kenok

kenok Member

I've read from somewhere that their 1mbps service is at 1000, monthly.

13. bluedragonph

Someone in sulit is offering this at Php998 per month.

14. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Just spoke with their CSR and it looks like there are still a lot of areas that are not covered like in Quezon City Del monte, banawe, D. tuazon, Quezon Ave area. Also in Pasig Valle Verde area and green medows in Quezon city. The CSR told be that they can guarantee a 1mbps signal since they do not share a phone line and since they are using 4G. As of the moment they only have 1 plan which is the 1mbps plan for 998/ month. You can bring the modem anywhere downside to this is you need to have a power supply to plug the modem in.

15. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

Subscription cost is Php 998/month for speed of up to 1Mbps though they say that real speed is close to 1Mbps since there are a few subscribers.

Modem is the Motorola CPEi 150

cost is Php 4,000

3 plans available:

1. Free modem, 24 months lock-in period
    2. Pay 50% cost of modem (Php 2,000), 12 months lock-in period
    3. But the modem at Php 4,000, 6 months lock-in period

16. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Looks like the CSR I spoke to failed to mention these facts.

17. bluedragonph

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit turned off with the modem having a separate power supply. I will wait for reviews from muggers.

18. zarghee

zarghee Guest

to request for additional info regarding wi-tribe, visit http://www.mywi-tribe.com

a wire-tribe Sales Agent will answer questions and info regarding wi-tribe. They are accepting schedules for a site demo and will assist prospective clients to sign up for the service. Chow!

19. kroxas19

kroxas19 Guest

how big/heavy are these motorola modems? if they're easy to carry around it might be worth a shot.

20. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

4G technology but 1G modem with a price tag?
    lets see how fast it can go, even its 5G speed but still capped at 1Mbps max, nothing new,
    am sure it will lowered to match all available options soon,

I am also eyeing on a replacement for my PLDT dsl but seems there is no alternative yet,

btw read in newspaper, SUN lowered the monthly fee for their wireless broadband at 5xx or 6xx only add on to existing plan and 7xx for lone subscription, but some horror stories for SWB users let me have 2nd thought