Why do I need to reboot my iMac to reconnect to Globe DSL?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bruce Hall, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I have a 6-month old iMac running Mavericks (10.9.1) and surf the web using Safari, an ethernet cord (not wifi), and Globe DSL. Towards the end of the day or into the evening, all pages stop loading, for all browsers and all user accounts, and this happens nearly daily for the last couple of months. Nothing loads, nor is email or other items downloaded.

If I restart my computer I can then reconnect to the web. Logging out of any or all of the user accounts makes no difference. Using another browser such as Google Chrome or Opera makes no difference. Turning the modem and router off and then on again makes no difference. Only restarting the computer (choosing either "restart" or "shut down") works. I do not need to turn off the modem or router when I restart.

What could be causing this? Is it the fault of my Mac or of Globe, or an evil combination of the two? If it is the iMac it is obviously some OS-level program. Is this something that I should (continue) to yell at Globe about or should I look to Apple to solve the problem

2. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Did you tried other web browser?

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Try changing your dns servers to that of google or other dns.

System Preferences>Network>Ethernet>Advanced>DNS

Google dns: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Hope this helps.

4. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

In addition to makintosh's suggestion, the next time your connection acts up, try to do some simple diagnostics.

First of all, try to eliminate that its not a problem with the router. Open up a terminal (Application -> Utilities -> Terminal) window and ping your router's IP address.

Secondly, if that came back with no errors, try to ping Google.

If both have no errors, at least you eliminated that the problem is with your router, or with Globe DSL.

HTH

5. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

Yes, I have tried different browsers (Safari, Chrome and Opera only) and different users.

I have entered in Google's DNS Servers but the problem has happened at least once since.

I will try to ping both. How do I do that through Terminal? Can I do that through the Network Utility, right?

6. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

On terminal type:

ping <router ip> then press enter

7. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@Bruce Hall, are all your network settings on default? Or did you modify any settings (DHCP, DNS, etc)?

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

My sister's iMac also disconnects often. Although she's not yet on Maverick and on PLDT DSL. She simply disconnects/reconnects the LAN cable at the back of the iMac. Been complaining to me about it for a while now. I'm beginning to think either the iMac or OS X is the problem.

Worst case, drop the bomb. Start from scratch again. Do a clean reformat and install. Don't import from a time machine backup.

#8 Kenneth, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Possible Reasons:

1) You made your router CLONE your iMac's MAC Address.

- go to your router's control panel and DISABLE this feature. IMO, this feature is useless nowadays (for most) - unless your ISP has this security feature which only allows you to connect only one computer for that subscription.

2) You have not set your "Client Lease Time" to unlimited.

What router are you using?

Are you using the Modem/Router provided by Globe?

10. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

It was default. I have changed the DNS settings to use Google's DNS servers.

11. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I haven't tried disconnecting the ethernet cord. However I have tried turning the modem and router on and off and that has not worked.

I did a "clean install" when I got the iMac about 8 months ago (after a decade and a half of just upgrading). However, I did the "normal" upgrade to Mavericks in January. It is about that time that I started noticing an issue. I thought then that it might be related to Globe's date cap and all the downloading of Mavericks and updated programs that I did. Now, I am not so sure.

I am using a Linksys Router, several years old, not Globe's. I haven't changed any settings except for wireless security. Nothing has changed on that in years, well before we began having problems. Cloning is not enabled. There is no restrictions on time that I can find. I didn't see any "Client Lease Time" option.

12. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I usually encounter this on machines that have a peer-to-peer client. Sometimes, due to a large number of downloads, or a particular download is connected to a large swarm, the machine (regardless of OS) would eventually run out of network connections resulting in the behavior you're encountering.

13. macosx

macosx Member

Try using wifi instead of Ethernet and see if you have the same problem.

Search Google about Ethernet on the new iMac. I remember reading something about that issue.

14. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I am not running peer-to-peer client or downloading a large number of downloads, knowingly. Today it has been email and many 20 minutes of audio podcasts and it happened again. Could I be downloading such without knowing about it? I follow relatively safe surfing practices and do run Sophos anti-virus.

15. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

Still trying a few things but here is what I know so far, following the advice of all above.

Connection problem is with the browsers (and Apple's Ap store) across all browsers, websites and users.

Connection problem is not:
    -- with Apple mail including no problem sending or receiving mail, from any account, or downloading images
    -- with Skype, Messages or iTunes, including iTunes store

Pinging works fine

No difference between ethernet or wi-fi. Deleted and re-set up both and it made no difference.

Trying now: disabled Sophos, unplugged ethernet, restarted, and am using wi-fi only now

Will try if and when the problem re-occurs: logging into VPN

16. mustardcreek

mustardcreek New Member

Help

My iMac (27", 2009) had 2 long trips to Power Mac Center because of hardware problems. They replaced my logic board, fan and video card. It cost me P45,000 but I think it's really worth it. I got the unit back and was working well. After 2 days, the screen got filled up by pixels and I believe it was the video card. I brought it back to PMC again and they said it was the cables worn out. I paid P600 to get replacement parts and waited for 3 weeks. Yesterday I got the unit and it can't find my wifi. My other devices are connected but my iMac says no network found.

I tried to call PMC and they said maybe it's the router but if ever nothing happens I can take the unit back to PMC, AGAIN.

Do you think it's really the router or it's PMC's fault?