Who's into car audio?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by dvsadvocate, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Anybody have an SQ system installed?

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

currently working on mine. budget lang for a frontier pickup. recent install:

[​IMG]

10" shallow mount RF sub next..

3. dvsadvocate

Thats a nice entry level setup you got there boo.
    Heres mine in a '95 Civic ETi Sedan

Trunk layout
    [​IMG]

I still have a spare tire!
    [​IMG]

Here's my subwoofer on an Infinite Baffle setup:
    [​IMG]

For my front stage im currently using Seas Lotus Reference Tweeters and a Seas Excel Nextel 7" Midwoofer.

Everything was DIY by the way!

#3 dvsadvocate, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. Tantantiniiin

Tantantiniiin Active Member

for my car audio, i dont have the 'right' yet to modify the whole setup since its still a company car. Pero i couldnt resist the bargain on a 2-din head unit, so I got me a JVC-AVX710.

Its good enough sounds even with the stock speakers/swoofer of the mazda3. At least I get to catch up on "english-only" tv and animated series.

But my other "hand-me-down" car. i didnt have to set it up anymore since my kuya fitted it with Pioneer and JBL speakers and 2subwoofers. I'll take some pics and post it later this week.

I'm thinking of getting a 10.2 inch LCD rearview mirror - as an extension of the 2-din so that my view is at eye level, but putting it at the front most section of the dash, under the windshield, and keeping my glass mirror rearview intact.

5. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

nice setup dvsadvocate! and DIY too!

i really envy the sound dampening on sedans. it's very difficult to build an SQ setup on a rattling diesel pickup that doesn't block out much external noise. however, i'm quite enjoying the good deal on these TMA (JL's chinese brand) separates.

6. Tantantiniiin

Tantantiniiin Active Member

speaking of chinese brands, i've been hearing horror stories on some brands like eonon. they looked nice and cheap, but buyers of it seem to be selling off their units.

7. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

SQ setup here.

JBL all the way. amps, satellites, front stage. kicker crossover and equa, and kicker SOLOBARIC L7!

[​IMG]

but lately, i've been trimming down my volume. SQ setup can hurt your ears more than SPL setup. my ears aren't that sensitive anymore and my doctor advised me to avoid very loud sounds. but sometimes i just can't control the volume, hehehe.

8. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    Do we already have a store where we can buy a player that integrates the ipod functions in the in-dash player?
    I'm not sure what it's called but I saw it somewhere where you can view the album art and details in the player like a small lcd tv.

9. dvsadvocate

@randyrivera
    Hmm, I think you got SPL and SQ all mixed up!

@makoy
    I think youre talking about the Alpine IDA and IXA series Head units which is purely an iPod controller. And yes it shows album art and other trick stuff. Check it out at www.alpine-usa.com

By the way, you can have your car deadened professionally to make it quiet. You can also DIY it like what I did.

10. jps444

jps444 Active Member

used to be a blaupunkt addict!!! hehehe!!! i had my car audio made in LRT in autocenter in araneta center cubao. :)

11. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

yeah, but this one's pretty interesting considering it's a JL brand:

http://www.totalmobileaudio.com/index.php

12. dvsadvocate

Looks like you hung out with the likes of Mickey Pascual and Oyet Samson! Hehe! Those guys have their own shops now.

13. randyrivera

ahhh really? my setup ba is for SPL? please enlighten me. TIA.

14. dvsadvocate

SQ means sound quality and SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. SQ setups cant go that loud. And from the looks of your setup, you have an SPL setup installed.

15. jps444

jps444 Active Member

yeah i know mickey has his own shop. pero si oyet pala meron narin hahaha!!! LRT is still my fave car audio store. good terms and sobrang galing mag tono ni ronald ng system nila!

16. randyrivera

yup i know what SQ and SPL are, but how do you know that my setup wasn't configured for SQ? Isn't it all about how you timpla and by how the overall sound comes out regardless of your equipment?

The levels of my base are way down even though I have a Solobaric installed. But you are right, if I boost it, SPL na rin.

I'm planning on adding more mids and highs para maging SQ na talaga (even though clarity is loud enough na for my ears). Fill in lang ang bass sana. Was installed by KidAudio, kaso I'm looking for a shop na mas magaling pa mag timpla.

17. zChris

zChris Active Member

Hi, what would be the price range of the TMA separates? The 6.5 inch ones look interesting.

In terms of SQ, how do they sound? What brands are they comparable to?

I used to be into car audio before but that kinda passed. Seems though that prices have gone down a lot, probably because a lot of the stuff are made in china now. Are the prices of the US made stuff still the same or have prices become more reasonable?

18. dvsadvocate

Yup Oyet owns Projekt AI in Sumulong hiway now. He's a good friend of mine and did some of my previous installs.

I figured from the equipment you posted that you had an SPL setup. Square Solobarics arent really known for their SQ. And so is JBL.

Also, you said that:
    Thats why. I have an SQ system setup in my car and I havent had any ear fatigue with my Focal Mistrals or my loner Seas Lotus Reference speakers.

Its probably the JBL speakers you have which is known to be harsh on the ears even at low volumes.

If youre looking for someone to tune it for you, I can help you with that. I compete at EMMA and tune some cars for IASCA.

I think these can be compared to Focal Access, Morel Tempo, and Helix Precision. Best way to find out is to audition some cars.

19. randyrivera

wowow! thanks thanks! maybe I can listen to your setup also so that I can really have an idea on how to to properly setup an SQ system. and maybe give me some pointers on what equipment to add/remove.

kasama ko araw araw sa aking pag biyahe ng 50kms to and from the office, so a better sound system would be nice.

TIA.

20. dvsadvocate

Wow, a 50km drive is like 4 hours with traffic? An SQ setup would really be good for you! Ill PM you my contact details. We can meetup sometime and audition each others cars.