white screen with blinking folder after 10.5.6 update??? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mizizlim, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

hi everyone, i need your help!!!:redface:

im not sure if im posting in the right forum, mods just feel free to move this wherever it's more apt...

anyway, here's my problem...

i installed the leopard 10.5.6 combo update the other night. everything worked well until last night when everything just hanged then i did a hard reset (powered out while holding the power button for a few seconds). after which, i went to sleep and didn't try to power on again until this morning.

when i tried to turn it on, i just got a white screen.

i tried another hard reset, and still nothing.

so after searching the net, i tried the following first aid measures:
    1. removed power cord, removed battery, pressed power button for 10 secs., reinstalled battery and power then restarted again. still nothing.
    2. i used the installer CD and pressed D while starting up to check hard disk, nothing happened
    3. used the installer CD and pressed C to try to reinstall software, CD was ejected and i got a blinking folder with a question mark.

what does this mean???

no problem with files since i've got everything backed up in my external hard drive.

i just can't make the @*$! thing work!!!

please please help!

2. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

update...i put in the installer CD again and didn't press anything.

then after about 10 minutes, the blinking folder appeared again.

then the apple icon then the blinking circle thing appeared.

then the mac os install prompted!

but when it gets to the SELECT DESTINATION part, i don't have any disk options to choose from.

i guess this means that my HDD is really fried right?

so where do i go from here???

3. gearbox

gearbox Member

use the install disc again and once booted for installation, select utilities, then disc utility, see if it could recognize the hdd. if it does then repartition the drive, exit disk utility and continue with installation. if the hdd doesnt get detected... then its time to change to a new hdd, if this is under warranty then apple service will replace the drive at no extra cost, if out of warranty, then just purchase a new 2.5 sata hdd from any computer parts reseller, i suggest a bigger capacity, and its easy to install... its good that you have backup of your files.

4. marty_e

marty_e Member

This happened to me last week. I recently upgraded my HDD to 320GB from Accent Micro in Park Square. After loading Leopard and restoring my time machine backup, I things worked fine. 3 days later, I got the blinking folder indicating that a boot disk could not be found.

I brought the book and new HDD back to Accent Micro and this is what the guy found - there were 3 partitions on my HDD. After restoring my backup, a new partition was added which resulted in the HDD failing.

Your options, bring it to a tech who can evaluate whether your HDD is indeed fried. If you have the know-how, remove your HDD yourself and try it with an enclosure on a different machine. From there, if detected, you can reformat, reinstall the HDD and OS then restore backup. In any event, whether software or hardware failure, your macbook cannot detect your HDD. good luck

5. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

hey guys thanks for your posts.

gearbox, i tried what you said and my hdd was not detected. :( i guess i'm gonna have to buy a new hdd.

oh well...