White screen on g3 ib0ok, badly needs help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by imnotsheila, May 8, 2009.

1. imnotsheila

imnotsheila New Member

I have a g3 ib0ok, 500mhz, 528 mb ram, 20gig. The pr0blm was when my g3 ib0ok startd askng for admin passw0rd. I think i c0nvrtd my admin user acct to standard user. Thats wat i think since im mac ign0rant. Then my g3 fr0ze. When i reb0ot, its all white/grey screen with the questi0n mark/user ic0n nside d foldr. I d0wnloaded panther fr0m thepiratebay so i let my ib0ok sit for 2wks, when i 0pened it again, it workd well except when i open pr0grams, it says sumthng lyk only the admin can open the pr0grams. I tried reinstallng mac os x but the cd nstaller fr0m thepiratebay d0esnt have a request password thingy. When i tried installing panther, it asked for the admin pw then it fr0ze. And back again in that white screen. I dunno if its a logic b0ard pr0blem. I tried reinstallng holding the c key, opti0n key, i tried nvram reset, pmu reset, all these didnt w0rkd. C key gives me white screen, opti0n key gives me a refresh and arr0w butt0n that when clickd on n0thng happens, opti0n+apple+p+r gives me that "s0und", opti0n+apple+o+f gives me white screen with black text.I really need help if any0ne kn0ws how to fix this since p0wermac d0esnt fix g3 ib0oks anym0re.

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

first of all--and you're going to be annoyed but you'll get this from everyone on this site--you SHOULDN'T have downloaded and installed panther from piratebay. that's not only illegal--worse is, you don't know what kind of installer you're going to get from there. mac installers are often made specifically for certain machines--you may have installed a version not compatible with your G3 ibook. i know you were desperate, but you should've asked us for help before going to piratebay.

a question mark inside a folder usually means that the mac can't find a working system--your hard drive could be messed up, or your system.

since powermac won't touch your ibook, bring it to ynzal (25 scout rallos) and ask them for help. they're no longer an authorized apple repair center, but they know their way around ibooks, and yours is out of warranty anyway. look for nomer. good luck--and stay out of piratebay.

3. imnotsheila

imnotsheila New Member

Thanks, ill go to them. A friend suggestd thepiratebay and i considred it since one apple repair st0re told me that i cant get orignl panther cd n0wadays and i g0tta d0wnload it n the nternet. My biggest fear atm is my hd is t0ast. I heard a new one costs 4k. I only have 2k budget for this pr0blem.

4. RC

RC Active Member

Why don't you just reinstall from the Original Installer Disks???

That should take care of the problem.

...How did you assume that your HD is toast??? If you were able to access the internet and download???

5. leeweiss23

leeweiss23 Member

im a newbie on macs because for 10 years of using windows, its my first time to handle mac and im proud to say that in 3 months after my aunt passed her old ibook G4 to me.

i've been experiencing some discouragement for macs and thought that maybe i have to give up & telling that im not for mac. I almost use XP on ibook.

But in my mind solving this problem could earn myself a confidence to what i've been studying as computer science. Thank God my ibook now is working so fine I even buy it some accessories because its very useful to me.

for me its ok "imnotsheila" because by these trials you have come up to things that could save your ibook. its like saving a person.

But im not promoting Piracy i just appreciate you in saving your ibook as what i've experience with mine too.

So Good Luck! :cool:

6. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

For all your fixing needs, you can go to http://www.ifixit.com

They sell parts there and give all the instructions you need to do it yourself.

They even sell hard drives for around 2K.

I don't know where you got the idea that hard drives cost 4K. Make sure you're not getting a hard drive that has too large a capacity for your hardware to recognize and also make sure you're getting the right interface. I think G3's need IDE interface and not SATA.

You'll need to use the Admin password to install any new software on a Mac but if you replace the hard drive with a new one, this shouldn't matter.

Good luck on resurrecting your G3.

7. imnotsheila

imnotsheila New Member

Its just an assumpti0n dat my hd is t0ast.hehe. I just wish im as gifted on mac like leeweiss. There were times I want to thr0w my ib0ok in the wind0w but it had been very useful to me in the past. This had been b0thering me for s0metime. Actually, i did s0me researching, it says pr0blem could either be my hd is toast or i need to reinstall mac os x. And i prefer to think what is negative to prepare myself. I hate false h0pes. Hehe. Btw, Panther is my current os, i can also use puma. There were few times that when i open my ib0ok it runs n0rmally. I was able to run the panther installati0n cd fr0m the piratebay but it doesnt have the "reset pw butt0n" when i tried to reinstall mac os x, it asked for admin pw. S0meone pm me to go see the dude who fixed his g3 ib0ok. Thanks philmug peeps, you guys are very helpful..

8. RC

RC Active Member

@iamnotsheila
    may i ask if your laptop is working fine in PANTHER what made you want to "upgrade" to a more "recent" OS??? like the most recent OS???

Even if your laptop is capable of running the most recent OS it would be more than happy with the last OS it came installed with... up to that "OS'es" latest build.... the softwares....well the latest one's would definitely run "more slowly" than the one's built for the OS'es that were made during the time that your machine was built/originally designed for....

It may help other helpfull people to know why you easily opted for thr pirated route????
    What made you decide to upgrade your machine to the latest OS???

Why i ask this is because even at the least the "pre-intel" machine could and mpst certainly can accomodate the most basic chores for "personal computing" like web and internet services....

I for one don't want to discourage anyone from "switching" most of all for something as small as this....

I just feel that most "newbies" now still carry with them, that the latest OS is still what's best...

Which in some cases it isn't...

Maybe you can enlighten "us" as to why you want to upgrade your previous OS???

One can most certainly "compare" this to the "new" netbooks and why most if not all....come with either the XP or linux version as their "free" OS...

9. leeweiss23

leeweiss23 Member

"Why i upgraded from ibook 2 Leopard"

its because in our office my pc has MS office 2007 that i use everyday, back home sometimes im still working for some document & for reporting purposes.

That's why i've upgraded it to leopard so that my Office 2008 for mac can be install, that's my routine everyday.

Sometimes we can't be contented for what we have because of the mentality that "i want to have the latest", but there some of us do this because we "need it" not only "want it".

For some, get what you "WANT" but be sure that you "NEED" it.

Too Deep? hwew =)

10. imnotsheila

imnotsheila New Member

Last yr when i upgraded my hd fr0m 10gb to 20gb they installed panther and its so slow in panther and always freeze. I was thinking of switching to puma which is an older versi0n (bcuz maybe itll run faster in puma) when this "pr0blem" happened... Installing panther wasnt my choice, its what the guy whom i bought the hd's choice because he only got panther cd installer.