Where to buy MS Office for Mac

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by den_lim, Jul 15, 2019.

1. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Where is the best place to buy MS Office for Mac?
    Thanks

2. Tyke

Tyke New Member

The best cash price I found for Office 365 Home (PC + Mac) last Feb 2019 is at PC Express.

You've also got to narrow it down which one is best for you.
    Office 365 (PC + Mac) Personal
    Office 365 (PC + Mac) Home
    MS Office Home & Student (2016/2019)

3. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

4. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

5. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

By your question, I'm assuming that price is not the lone factor or priority. So I'd say the "best" place is still to subscribe directly from Microsoft. That's the route I chose when I had my first Macbook years ago and needed MS Office for Mac

Having subscribed to Office 365 via their website, I didn't have to scour brick and mortar stores and there's no physical copy of the installer to keep/maintain. As for price, I'd also suggest you choose the 12-month subscription as it is much cheaper than the per-month option (12-month option price is equivalent to just paying for 10 months)

6. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

You may be able to get a slight discount upon purchase at a brick and mortar store, but if you get the subscription-based Office 365, you'll be paying the standard rates anyway (e.g., around P4700/year for Office Home for up to 6 users) to continue using Office after the first year.

7. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

8. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Got office 365 at octagon megamall at 3600 instead of 4400 in ms website.
    They offer also the ms office single user around 6T+ if i remember right

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

You have 2 options:

Office 365 which is a subscription based software (12-months) as others pointed out and gets software and feature updates. (3k-4k)/year

Office 2019 which is a one-time purchase software which will work but won't get new features down the line. You may get bug fixes and new OS compatibility update down the line but that's it. (6k) one-time purchase.

Now this will depend on your use case. If you're a business owner/large family who deals a lot with all of the office app, I suggest O365 (up to 5 accounts and iPad support)

If you are a student starting Senior High / College you might only need to purchase it once to deal with homework and presentation throughout your years of education. (cheaper in the long run if you're not a power user)

10. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Our home has a combination of Mac & Windows computers. Is the O365 OS specific or a subscription can be used either for Macs or PCs?

11. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

No it's not. The Office 365 Home subscription, for example, allows for up to 6 users on PC or Mac, as well as, IOS or Android.

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

O365 is account based, not device based. You can enroll upto 5 additional users and they just use their account to log in on Mac/PC/iOS/Android ala Spotify Premium. I dunno to what extent each account is entitled an allowable number of device but safe to say 1 Mac/PC + 1 Portable device like iPad Pro is possible per account.

iPad 9.7" iPhones and Android phones can use office app for free because they fall below the 10" rule for paid office apps.

13. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

If you want the cheapest Office 365 subscription, subscribe to Microsoft India online store.

14. cunninglinguist

LOL, a friend told me the licenses work and are cheap. Just don't ask why it's cheap.

15. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

triggerbokie likes this.
  16. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

For the 365 HOME
    You need to register via microsoft for the main account.
    Then download the apps for mac if you use a mac or PC if you use a PC.
    Then you can install it on all devices even in your ipad etc.
    You can invite up to 5 home user.
    They set up their own MS account Using their email.
    Each will get 1 TB storage. to one drive.
    if you have a phone installing onedrive will back up your pictures automatically
    Now the limitation
    Up to 5 registered devices will work at the same time. (which I assume is enough)

VicB likes this.
  17. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Out of curiosity, I checked and the licenses they sell can go for as low as 80 pesos. It even says lifetime subscription with 5TB one drive storage. Reviews say it's legit. Kinda surprised since the pricing from the official website of Microsoft is more expensive.

18. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Microsoft Office 365 Home = 5299 INR per year
    5299/12months/5users = 88.317 INR
    88.317 INR = 64.3 PHP/month
    That is the lowest price you can get if you share the payment with friends/families.

80 PHP for lifetime subscription! It is too cheap unless the administrator of the O365 enterprise account is selling the data of its subscribers or worst use it for ransomware.

19. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree that it is too cheap to be real. How could you make a profit alone with that price.

20. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

@Macmon, thanks for the info. So we can register more than 5 devices (estimate that at least 8 devices will be registered) but are limited to use only 5 at any one time. If that's the case, it should be ok as we're a family of 4 & each with a computer & mobile phone.