Where to buy customized Macbook Pro 2019 in Philippines?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JazzyString, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JazzyString

JazzyString New Member

Hello, new member here. This will be my first post.

What I'm planning to buy is a brand new Macbook Pro 2019 13 inch i5 quad core, 16gb ram, 512 storage. It seems that 16gb ram is pretty rare to find for 13 inch in the Philippines(correct me if I'm wrong). Most authorized resellers(such as BTB and Power Mac Center) and gray markets only sells the baseline specs for 13 inch which is 8gb ram. I tried to contact iStudio/Sencolink but no response yet. Purchasing through apple online store is hassle for me for the mean time cause I have no credit card yet. Currently, I only have debit card. Do you know where I could buy 13 inch, 16gb ram Macbook Pro 2019 in the Philippines? And can I use my debit card(Mastercard) in purchasing through Apple online store?

Thanks,

#1 JazzyString, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

It's available online... although I'm not sure if you can use your debit card.

JazzyString likes this.
  3. JazzyString

JazzyString New Member

Thanks for your help. I gathered more information through google and I confirmed that the apple online store only accepts credit card for Philippines. Anyway, I have a relative in the US. Is it applicable or doesn't violate any law if I let him purchase a Macbook Pro in the Apple store(US) and let him ship it straight to the Philippines? Or just a hand-carried way? Honestly, I'm not well knowledgeable yet in terms of law for shipping(taxes, duties and etc) and currently digging more information through Google. Thanks.

4. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Do the hand carried way because you will surely be taxed when your ship it to the Philippines.

JazzyString likes this.
  5. ice

^hand carry is ok.
    Shipping might require you to pay taxes.

Plus, I don't think Apple will allow you to ship directly to PHL.
    Your relative must have the laptop mailed to his house, then have him ship it to the Philippines...

I'm note sure if the purchase+exchange rate+shipping will be cheaper than just purchasing it from Apple Philippines directly.

JazzyString likes this.
  6. ice

One thing I personally hate about the "hadcarry favor" :)

We Pinoys test the item before leaving the shop...
    So when my sister asked me to get a phone for her, she gave me a list to check (physical hardware). I told her, the phone will arrive my mailbox sealed, and the phone will arrive with me sealed. If something is wrong, I'll carry it back to have it checked by the service center.

So just imagine if it was a 150k laptop...

JazzyString likes this.
  7. JazzyString

JazzyString New Member

Thanks for sharing this information. May I ask, how much do you think is the tax? The model I'm willing to buy is worth(P136,000) in Apple Store(PH) and (P100,000) in Apples Store(US).

8. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

I have 2 other options you might want to consider.

First is to order your custom Macbook Pro through our local authorized resellers. From my last inquiry, you can order a custom laptop through them, but you need to pay 50% deposit first (if I remember correctly). Then when the item arrives in about 2-3 weeks, you go and get it, inspect it, and pay the balance.

Second method is what I did. I had a trip scheduled for Singapore. I ordered my laptop online through Apple SG, then chose the option to pick it up at the Apple Store. It was waiting for me as soon as I arrived Singapore. I dumped my luggage (and family) in the hotel and went straight to the store in Orchard as soon as we arrived. Too excited haha.

As for debit card, I’m not sure if Apple SG or HK accepts it. But in theory, they should. I’m sure our local resellers accept debit cards.

HTH

JazzyString likes this.
  9. ice

wow. 36k diff, although you also have to consider the hassle for your relative who will be hard carrying the item.

I can't help with the est on taxes. If it's had carried, it will not be seen by local customs (as they don't have x-rays)
    If you want to have it shipped... try calling DHL

JazzyString likes this.
  10. ice

I was thinking of this option.

Technically, HK is $200 away

11. JazzyString

JazzyString New Member

Thanks for sharing this information. May I ask what is the name of the reseller you're describing? Seems a good scenario/deal.

12. imart

imart Well-Known Member

i've just chatted with an apple online store support.
    1) if you're holding a debit card with a visa or mastercard logo on it, there shouldn't be any issue purchasing your mac from the apple ph store
    2) upon checkout / payment and you experienced an error such as "Payment aurhorization failed", it's advisable to call the bank that issued the debit card to check behind the online payment rejection. Typically, certain banks do allow online purchases with debit cards.

the custom 16GB ram that you intend to get is also available in the apple online store (additional 10,000php). your mac comes with FREE shipping within 1-3 business days, highly dependent on your location you specify. without leaving your desk to get one, i find this quite the fastest way to get a mac in your fingertips.

JazzyString likes this.
  13. JazzyString

JazzyString New Member

Thanks for sharing this information. I guess hand-carried way is the way to go.
    Thanks for sharing this information and for chatting the apple online support for me(and I'm sorry for that hehe). I will try ordering using my debit card :) I'll update you regarding the transaction :)

14. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

I believe it was beyond the box. But you should inquire to be sure. I’m not sure if they changed their policies.