Where do I find Mac Office? (was: mac office)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by krizzy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. krizzy

krizzy Member

Where do you guys think i can it at low price. Or does anyone have an installer? i'm willing to pay... :) i just really need it thanks.:redface:

2. sayonarades

sayonarades Member

Re: mac office

Hi Krizzy,

Try http://www.openoffice.org/ :) It works pretty much like your regular MacOffice/MSOffice best of all its free. :)

3. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

if you need one, i have one license. just PM me.

4. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

Very true, if you're budget conscious.

But if i were you, get the MS Office 2004 special at Apple where in it includes a voucher that will allow you to buy the 2008 update version for something like $10.

5. krizzy

krizzy Member

where can i buy that? i mean its just around 400 php.. :)

6. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

don't get too excited. the $10 price is just for the upgrade.

7. krizzy

krizzy Member

then wat other expenses should i pay for... :)

8. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

Oops, sorry guys!

I was looking for the email from apple about the promo but unfortunately it isn't available anymore because they just released the 2008 version.

Although i must say, i am getting comfortable with iWork 08. But then again MS Office has a lot to offer.

FYI: I pre ordered the Microsoft 2008 already.

9. krizzy

krizzy Member

aww.. :( is the 2008 pricey?

10. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

Just go to either openoffice.org or neooffice.org and download a free compatible office suite. If you're on an Intel Mac, both OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice.org are faster than MS Office 2004, which has only PPC code and runs under emulation on Intel Macs.

11. mikeyquema

mikeyquema Member

They're coming out with multi versions, like Vista.
    Here's the link in the Apple Website:

Microsoft Office 2008

12. krizzy

krizzy Member

from what i know some can't read neo office if is not installed in their computer.

13. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

That's not true. NeoOffice.org and OpenOffice.org support more file formats than MS Office. It will open old formats of MS Office that newer formats don't support. It will open corrupted word files that MS Office refuses to open. It will open macro virus infected word and excel files without harming your computer.

YOu just set as default whatever save format you prefer: Office 97/98/2000/2001, OpenDocument format, Office 2003 XML, etc. NeoOffice.org can even handle Office 2007/2008 XML files.

Why do you think governments and countries are migrating by the millions to OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice.org? Newer versions of MS Office don't open the older versions and they need access to archived documents created years ago.

Why don't you try it out instead of jumping to conclusions? It's a free download, it won't cost you anything to try it out. Also, since it's free you can also recommend it to your friends who need open files such as OpenOffice.org draw formats, for which there is no MS Office equivalent program.

If you don't like it, you can just toss it in the trash or leave it on your computer.

#13 Maccess, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  14. krizzy

krizzy Member

thanks.. but i already installed neo office in my mac.. i was just paranoid that if i send files some wont be able to read it.. thanks again.. :)

15. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

Since NeoOffice supports more formats than MS Office it's possible to save a file in a format the recipient can't read: i.e. Word 5, 6 to someone who has Office for Windows 2007, or .odt (opendocument formats) to someone who has only MS Office.

That's why there's a drop down box that allows you to choose the format to save it as. The most common (and most easily readable by many people) is MS Office 97/98/2000 formats (.doc, .xls, .ppt), choose that or set it as default, or as .pdf format, which the program or Mac OS X can easily create. The most challenging format to read is MS OOXML (that's Office Open XML, and not RELATED IN ANY WAY TO OpenOffice, .docx .pptx .xlsx), which can, at this time, only be opened by MS Office 2007/2008, NeoOffice.org, and the non-free Novell version of Oo_O for Windows and Linux.

That's why if you have MS Office 2007 for Windows, or the forthcoming MS Office 2008 for Mac, you need to make sure to save it as the older office format not MSO2007/2008 OOXML, otherwise other people won't be able to open it. Kinda defeats the purpose of gettingthe latest version, doesn't it?

Opening files is not an issue since Neo or Oo_O will recognize the format and just open the files straightaway.

#15 Maccess, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  16. hannibal

hannibal Guest

am kinda excited to tryout this new version of Office for Mac because of the Exchange Server support. if this version is fully compatible with the corporate network setup we have in the office, i will never have to bring the office-supplied Lenovo to work. all i need is just my MBP to do all my emails and work-related stuff.

17. moipogi

moipogi Member

Just to add a possibility: Anybody willing to buy the Office family pack and split the cost of the 3 licenses? I'd be willing to get one if there are 2 others who are interested.

Assuming the USD149 price, that's about USD50/person, or about P2.1k.

At least, we don't get pirated versions.

18. quasimoto

quasimoto Member

Hey, you can count me in :D

19. rachelt12

rachelt12 Member

any offers for the upgrade license? i have the 2004 student edition...thank you.

20. marytiff

marytiff Member

I'm also interested. No hidden costs (i.e. tax, shipping,etc)? Just $50 per person?. Newbie here...