When will Apple put the colors back to their Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by koski, Mar 19, 2010.

1. koski

koski New Member

When do you think Apple will put the colors back to their Macs? I can still remember way back 1999 (11 years ago) when the ibook g3s wowed me. And even up to now, whenever I google image ibook g3s, they still look cool, then never look dated at all!

I want to see the colors back on an iMac or a Macbook. What do you guys think.

I think it's a good idea. Just let the pro's stay gray/silver/black/white, and then put the colors back to the consumer macs.

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I'm all about giving customers a choice. Colors definitely is a step in that direction. However, in this day and age, it can be a manufacturing nightmare and a cost concern.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

well, they do look good on a shelf :p

on an office table fronting a client, they may look kinda strange and out-of-place, but hey, aren't we sometimes?

4. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

If I could get a MacBook Air in black or red (from Apple, Colorware's way too expensive and voids the warranty), I would be a very happy bad_boy :)

Chito, would color really be that difficult for the entry-level units? Can they just use additives to the PC before molding?

5. cyberathlete

cyberathlete PhilMUG Addict Member

maybe its just too costly to manufacture. that's why they just leave it to companies like colorware to customize macs.

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Vaughn, when I said 'a manufacturing nightmare', I meant the logistical problem of deciding how many to produce of this color or that, and how to manage the issue of customer fulfillment at the retail end: "Geez, this pink is nice, but do you have something that's a bit more MANLY pink?" or "Sorry, the tropical teal MB is back-ordered right now. How about this air force blue; this is so you."

I mean, you can hide the pink iPod nano in your pocket, but a notebook or an iPad would be more, well, out there, telling people what you really are.

This is the reason why I never joined an apparel company despite a fat incentive. The permutations are endless: style x size x color. The math is simply crazy.

7. jeroen

jeroen Active Member

haha you are so right! i have a silver macbook and my sons placed some action figure stickers on it... i was ok with it until i had a meeting with a client who looked kinda strange at me while i was trying to sell a scenting unit to their hotel...had some explaining to do haha
    :eek:

so yeah although they look nice and all. it means apple needs to invest in stocking up colors that are not moving... one color will make Steve a lot more $$$

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

People just like change. You have white, you want black. You have black, you want aluminum. You have aluminum you want white. Newness. We are predisposed to it.

I saw an article on a gloss black MacBook Air by Colorware. It goes on to write how many people would desire this. I was giggling because it looks just like my cheap 13" netbook, Indigo RS130. It's not clear though if they use paint or plastic. But their literature on the technology is impressive. Those colored MacBook Airs are eye candies.

9. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

i prefer the aluminum bodies for the pro line. with the entry levels i'd prefer if they bring back the blackbook. i don't like flashy colors as i feel it cheapens the device and makes it more like a toy for a teeny-bopper. that's just me of course... ;)

10. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I guess Apple came up with the colored Macs back then in order to really stand out. After all, I believe it was Michael Dell who once said that Apple only comes up with boring beige boxes and that Apple was better off shut down, with the money sent back to investors. (Same dude who ate his words later when Apple overtook Dell in terms of earnings)

However, Apple has since rebounded with a vengeance and it has already stamped its identity in the market. Nowadays, just one look and you'll know you're looking at an Apple product. Back then, Apple had to exert extra effort just to be noticed. Nowadays, some folks think people give Apple products too much attention. :p

Furthermore, the colored components of the colored Macs back then were--unless I'm mistaken--plastic, or something similar to plastic. Given Apple's tremendous efforts to be environmentally-friendly as of late--and they've been lauded for their efforts-- I doubt they'd go back the same route. Macs and iPods and iPhones are now in the metal and glass path, both of which are considered highly-recyclable, unlike plastic. Sure, they may decide to have Macs that come painted in iPod Nano colors in the future but that's highly doubtful, in my opinion. It just looks so confusing (so "Windows", actually). Not only do you have to decide on the specs you want, you'll have to pick a color as well. So what happens when the store has the specs you want but they ran out of your preferred color (or vice-versa)? It'll be crazier now given that more folks are buying Macs nowadays as compared to the days of the colored Macs. Apple's design philosophy has been "minimalist" as of late and it's worked wonders for them. And in a buyer's perspective, it's "Pick your specs. That's it."

For now, color lovers will just have to be content with colored crystal cases and decals.

11. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Chito: Ahh, I get it. Well, I'm sure there's a scientific-ish way to predict what colors to offer and in what quantities to produce :)

Mad Mac: I just really like black Macs. I had a Blackbook before and I thought it was great looking.

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Well I believe that companies like Speck have protectors for your iMacs and Macbooks that gives them different colors. :)

13. annkat00

annkat00 Member

the unibodies are great, i dont miss the colors

14. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I like black too. When I was looking for a Mac I could find the BlackBook. The specs I wanted only came in white. 3 months ago I couldn't resist. I got a black 13" netbook.

15. caropan

caropan Member

I love my Blacbook. A black aluminum unibody (with USB 3.0 of course) will have me withdrawing every single penny from my bank account pronto.

16. justinferreros

my unibody macbook is protected by black speck case.