What's your musical frustration?

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by keyboardstyli, Feb 28, 2009.

1. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

During high school, I wanted a bass guitar so I could learn how to play those cool "New Wave" bass grooves I'm hearing over the radio, but my parents bought me a portable organ keyboard (that's played like a guitar) instead. :slanted: Years had passed & nobody even bothered to play or learn the poor instrument. :( Don't ask me why, I wanted a bass guitar.. remember?! :confused:

So, I'm kinda curious also.. :redface: what's your frustration, if ever there was any? :eek:

2. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Re: What's your frustration, if ever there was any?

My frustration is that I always wanted to learn how to play the violin. However, I never found the time to do so. I know how to play the piano, though. Still, it would have been cooler had I learned both.

3. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Never wanted to learn as a kid, but now i wish i could play piano or violin, but never guitar..to go with my very groupy-charismatic voice..in other words, my voice is plainly pang-romansa..hehe!;)

4. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Ummm, given that this thread is in the iMusicians forum, I suggest we restrict discussions to "frustrations in the musical level"?

5. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

I suggest we edit the thread title to make it clearer.

@ edricdude: Should you wish to delete your post, you can do so by clicking Edit (upper right, beside Quote) then Delete.

6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I should have taken my piano lessons more seriously when I was much younger. I can play but not that good. since I use my midi controller/keyboards more often now than guitars (my primary instrument) or drums, my technical limitations are a bit frustrating. good thing you can tweak midi files at will. ha ha. but playing live is another thing.

7. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Guitar and Piano but also, I always dream of having a great voice so that I can do concerts!

8. travism

travism Active Member

Piano... Big Frustration! Aaaargh!

9. an2ni

an2ni Member

same here. now, i can't even read a note. :(

10. RC

RC Active Member

Lol!!!! =)

Didn't notice this as well until i got to reading @johannes message!!! (Sayang mag post din sana ako ng something not musically related )
    Can't remember but i think this was somewhat discussed waaay back...not really that sure though...

Ok....to the topic... Always wanted to learn the drums, felt like i didn't have rhytm kasi...
    But i do know how to play the piano,mandolin,guitar
    i only know how to play "twinkle twinkle little star" on the violin =P

Hmmm Maybe i'll try to see if i can still learn the drums.....

p.s.
    @edricdude no offense sir!

11. keyboardstyli

@johannes (thanks for pointing that out), although I wasn't aware of what really happened earlier (while I was asleep) :redface: and I apologize if the thread title I've started wasn't that clear enough, but I clearly intend this thread to be about our musical frustrations. :eek:

So by all means (since we couldn't edit the thread title) @Mods, please go ahead if it's necessary to edit the thread title and just make it "What's your musical frustration, if ever there was any?" instead. ;) Thanks.

12. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

No biggie, keyboardstyli. :)

I've already sent a PM to the one in charge of iMusicians forum. He'll be the one to edit the thread title.

Back to topic, folks. What are your musical frustrations, if any? :)

13. keyboardstyli

Re: What's your musical frustration, if ever there was any?

Anyway, going back to topic once more:

So years had past since then (I'm in college now), then my younger bro (he's in high school) suddenly had an interest in wanting to learn the guitar (for some reason). Good thing for him though that my parents probably had learned their lesson already (when they tried to force their musical frustrations on me), and they eventually bought him a cheap acoustic guitar to play with & try out first! :slanted:

Sure enough and w/just the right push to inspire my bro to learn it methodically, our parents was quick to enroll him to learn classical acoustic guitar at Yamaha's School of Music, and I'm happy for him that he learned it quite well. :)

Hehe.. I'm not sure if it's "sibling rivalry" or just plain "envy" that happened later, but this sudden musical resurgence suddenly brought back to mind my earlier musical frustrations, when my bro's finally getting his Fender Stratocaster electric guitar as a reward for completing his recital. Then I asked my bro later about what he think, if I'd go ahead & ask our parents once more about buying me a bass guitar (again) or maybe try a totally different musical instrument instead (if possible)? :eek:

To make a long story short, since my bro's getting an electric guitar (and I didn't get what I wanted when I asked for a bass guitar before) this led to my resurgent aspiration in wanting to learn a musical instrument again, wherein it led me to ask my parents for a set of drums this time around (though I was only thinking of trying to convince my parents to buy me a drum set, just for the heck of trying because I'm not raising my expectations this time), but lo & behold.. my wish was granted, once after they're convinced that I am seriously interested (like I was dead serious before, when I wanted a bass guitar). :redface:

Moral of the story: I bet my folks gave me a drum set this time, probably to make up for their past mistake when they stifled my earlier aspirations by forcing what musical instrument they want me to play, rather than what I wanted to learn instead. :cool:

#13 keyboardstyli, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  14. nicoleliz

nicoleliz Member

nice one jajin! ;) your singing voice is more romantic then than the violin.. hmmm... you should then prepare a song for the Philmuggers in the next Christmas party. :p

as for me, my musical frustration is violin - my second favorite. I'm a pianist (by hobby & profession) and singer too (minor only in the Conservatory). That's my job now in the US, I'm a piano teacher in a music school in CA. I had violin lessons with Prof. Molina at the UP College of Music many years ago but it didn't work out for me. I find it too hard to play the violin. Perhaps, I should have started taking lessons at an early age.

#14 nicoleliz, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  15. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

musical frustration?..

can i include my vocal quality?.. though i can sing at low notes..

i cant sing well,..

i can play drums, piano, guitar.. but i cant sing..

haays..

hirap maging tao..

16. keyboardstyli

Hehe.. don't worry motoflux, you are not alone on that one! :cool:

But my opinion, we can also train or learn how to play our vocal instrument w/in us. :eek: I think it's just a matter of proper training, perseverance & acceptance ;) to really become a virtuoso or at least improve on whatever musical instrument you want to learn (including our vocals). :cool:

17. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

was very lucky to have a dad who supported me and my twin fully when we first expressed our desire to get into rock music - for christmas that one year when we were both in grade 7, we got a tama artstar drum kit, an ibanez soundgear bass for me, and a gibson les paul studio for him.

sadly, we only ever learned to play through tablature and kapa - never really learning the proper fundamentals. i wish i had a better basic understanding of music theory, and the ability to read notes. as a grade 7 kid, everyone's standard for what was really galing and hardcore was the ability to play the intro to "sweet child o' mine" with the guitar held behind one's head.

also wish i could sing. there's a reason why it's the lead singer who always gets the chicks and not the bass guitar player - singing is sexier.

18. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

19. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

I studied piano and organ and even played in the mass in our church during high school. However, my problem is sort of in the other side. I cannot play without sheets in front of me. I've always envied those guys who are"ouido, wido" - I don't know how its spelled.

Since the keyboards are not portable, I decided to try learning the guitar in college, but aside from the usual slow strumming using songhits, i did not progress.

I've also wanted to learn the violin or the flute, which really sound so enchanting every time I hear one played live.

20. Rastaman

Rastaman Member

Under your bed. In your closet. In your head.
    Since my grade school days, I always felt that I had could catch the beat of my favorite songs. I've always had the want to play the drums. Even now, as I watch concerts and other musical acts, I find myself tapping my hands to my lap, along with the drummer. It's quite sad, too, that I had friends in grade school and high school who play both the drums and the guitar, and I didn't even manage to bang the tins.

If time travel would allow, I would go back and save my first few paychecks to get a drum kit. Those were the days when the price of a kit wouldn't go over 40k. Now, a Tama kit goes for about 60-70k.

Oh, I have to add this: I bought a guitar from my friend, back when I was in high school, for 500 bucks. But when I tried playing it, I always find myself strumming to the beat of the drums.