What's your macbook's average temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by jay_eat_world, Mar 10, 2007.

1. I believe my MacBook is overheating. Articles i've read seems to say that only the old CoreDuos have heat problems; and to fix it, you should just remove the plastic strip that's covering the exhaust.

Now I have the latest White MacBook 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo. I'm getting temperatures upto 85 degrees Celsius when I do intensive CPU processes like encoding video or playing WoW. My normal temp when the mac is not doing anything is 61c ro 64c.. Is that normal? Anybody else getting these temps?

What's your average temp?

Btw, I use iStatPro to check my temp.

2. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

download smcfancontrol here and lets see what happens.. 85c is way too high for a macbook C2D, my current temp right now is 42-49c running at 2000RPM while Azureus is on the background..

3. Just installed it and I'm getting an average of 60c to 63c running at 4238rpm. It pretty much displays the same info as iStatPro but just refreshes faster. Now I can speed up the fan to max and lower the temp by 4 degrees but I don't think it's a good idea to always have it set to max.

Do you happen to live in Alaska where it's freezing cold all the time? I only get temperatures like yours when I first boot up. I hope there's nothing wrong with my mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

4. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

hahahaha actually d pa nga me naka aircon neto, pag naka aircon ako at night im getting 42-44c.. have your mac checked via ASP, your temp is not normal it shouldnt be running at 4000rpm unless lots of apps are running in the background...

[​IMG]

#4 skinhead, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  5. Via ASP?.. I wonder if the pros are cooler than the regular macbooks.. hmm..

6. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

Apple service center, 2 fans ng MBP compare sa 1 ng MB.. but your mac is the newer C2D so I dont think thats normal... have it checked to be sure. :)

7. I just read several articles that states MBPs run cooler that the MBs mainly because they have 2 fans and have aluminum casing.

I also found a great site that shows different temps for different flavors Intel Macs:
    Intel Mac Temperature Database

From what that site shows it seems that macbook C2Ds are just hot and my temps are just normal. THANK GOD!

8. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

CoreDuo temp is normal at 60++ degree Celsius, but I think the Core2Duo should have lower temp,

correct if I am wrong as my Mac mini is running at 62 degree

9. djmyke

djmyke Member

same banana lang daw coreduo and core2duo mbps

no noticeable difference sa temp hehe

better ventilation lang ata with the new core2duo chasis

10. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

YUP.. parang true... even my C2D minsan parang blower hehehe... what I did was reformat it again and as of now cool as a breeze.. :)

11. pure_performance

45-50 degrees. Non airconditioned room. Using Fan Control and fan speeds are set to 3500rpm even though fans are usually on @ 4000rpm.

12. MBP or MB?

13. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

Basing on his signature, it's probably a MacBook Pro.

14. oops.. missed that one. :)

15. mendozil

mendozil Active Member

when charging/ charged via power cord, i programed smcFanControl to run at 3500rpm and i'm getting around 49 to 52 degrees.

on battery power, i programed it to run at 3000rpm and i normally get 52 to 55 degrees on simple surfing and downloads.

with a lot of apps running i hit between 55 to 62.

but get this... with quicktime on (clicking it in the dock) while connected to the internet, i hit 70 degrees and then the fan automatically kicks in at 5500rpm to 6T+rpm and brings down the temp to around 68-70 degrees.
    the moment i turn off quicktime (while connected to the net) it cools back down to the normal 50-60 degrees. :)

#15 mendozil, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. knb

knb Member

Speaking of temps... this macbook got into too much heat. It was, actually toasted. Check it out... I'm not sure if it's a valid report, though.

17. yikes.. knb, what's your average temp?

18. knb

knb Member

On the average, it's around 55 degrees...

19. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

scary link! is it just me or I think G4 processors are much snappier in Tiger compare to intel (comparing a friends G4 ibook vs macbook 1.83)?

im reffering to surfing the net, bootup time, itunes..

20. ltp

ltp Member

I once experienced my macbook didn't 'sleep' at all. As far as I can remember I was working on something then nature calls, I simply closed the lid then left.. I was maybe gone for 10-15 minutes after having a much needed break. When I got back, I noticed the backlit of the apple logo is still on, and my macbook is hotter than usual. When I opened the lid, I immediately knew what the problem was, kernel panic. there's a message (in different languages, I only knew english :D) telling me to shutoff the unit and reboot. So, I just shut off the macbook and let it cool off for a few minutes before using it again. Fortunately there's no damage whatsoever.

I don't know if anyone here at Philmug also experienced this?

Lesson learned.. be sure that your unit really SLEEPS when you close the lid.. before you go to sleep. (Note that the light of the logo goes out and the little power led on the right side of the macbook is blinking during sleep mode)