What's wrong with my browser/torrent client?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by jondextan, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jondextan

jondextan Member

hi guys, i've tried searching for the same topic but couldn't find one. anyways, my problem is when i'm at home (Globelines 2mbps) i have problems with my browsing (Safari) whenever i turn on my uTorrent/Transmission apps to download torrents.

so whenever i'm home it's either i browse and turn all downloading torrents to stop -- or i download torrents and couldn't browse using Safari (i've also tried this with Opera, no go).

this doesn't happen in the office, or any other cafes i've been in with web connection. my friends who also uses Globelines in my area doesn't experience this.

this is also not isolated to my macbook as it happens to my wife and sis' macbooks also (when they are home).

the browsing stops even if the torrent app is only downloading 5kbps. the weird thing is sometimes, the torrent app itself can't seem to download anything. i mean, i am downloading this torrent for like 75kbps in the office and when i get home, i get 1.2kbps and that's it, and it even stops my browsing.

help!

my utorrent and transmission are all on default and i'm only limiting up to 4 downloads at a time. yes, updated them all. running snow leopard.

i tried to deduct the problems and my mind is pointing to my 5 year old netgear modem.

any thoughts? solutions? ideas?

i'd like to add that i can use skype and YM without problems while using utorrent.

2. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Try to limit the number of connections per torrent to 50.
    I am also on Globe 2Mbps at home and can still browse, albeit slower, while downloading torrents.

3. xedner

xedner Member

I experience the same thing but I just learned how to keep up with it. It is normal to have slowdowns when uTorrent uses the bandwidth at full speed. You should set the download and upload limit to half of your maximum bandwidth if you want to surf the net with a reasonable speed while running uTorrent. And there are other tweaks as well...

You might still have the "finished torrents" uploading. You can easily stop them or you can adjust the upload limit and the seed ratio in the preferences.

4. jondextan

jondextan Member

that's the default setting, 50. didn't change it at all.

so it's not it.

i can't browse even if uTorrent is only downloading 1kbps. i get connection time out on my browser.

5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Try configuring port forwarding on your modem/router.
    What I do when I have a slow connection is that I go to my router's admin page and disconnect/reconnect until I get a good connection.

6. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

This is true. You can also try to reset your modem or router. Renew DHCP lease also and see if you can get a better IP.

7. jondextan

jondextan Member

thing is, i don't think i have a slow connection.

it's like this -- even if uTorrent is downloading at 0kbps as long as it's at PLAY and not STOP (meaning it's set to download), i can't browse. i get connection time out on my browsers.

but once i set uTorrent to STOP on all downloads, i can browse in like 5 seconds after.

it's not like my browser is taking so long to load, it's like i don't have a internet connection on my browser, like it's cut off from the net. yung pag press mo palang ng website link or reload button, eh lalabas agad in a second connection timeout, just like when you are disconnected from your wifi. exactly like that. and it's consistent with the 2 other macbooks in the house and only in the house.

@lamski, i'll do that when i get home tonight. thanks! :D

8. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Here's an idea:

Try it via a direct connection from your MacBook to your DSL modem just to rule out a problem with the router.

9. jondextan

jondextan Member

argh, why didn't i think about this before. i'll do that first tonight. thanks!

10. jondextan

jondextan Member

natsgo, thanks for your suggestion. i've just confirmed that it's the wireless router. everything works fine when i connected my macbook to the modem directly. doh!