whats the best way to back up itunes?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by lorodz, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorodz

lorodz Member

i have a 320 gb external HD, i find it hard to do a restore. How do you back up your music?

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@lorodz: I just let Time Machine do all the work.

3. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

OT: When doing back up using time machine, does Time Machine compresses the data so as to save space? or it just copy the actual file size in you Mac? Thanks a lot!

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Actual Size

5. lorodz

lorodz Member

im a pc user :(

so how do you do it guys? thanks

6. nuggets

nuggets Member

what if you don't have time machine? what's the best way?

7. essay

essay Active Member

If the itunes library is on an external hard drive, I was thinking, buy a second external hard drive, and make that a back up drive of the first one. :)

8. lorodz

lorodz Member

yeah whats the best way? what i did is i consolidated my itunes library then drag and drop my itunes folder to my external HD, but i dont know how to do a 'restore' (from HD to itunes to music folder) (when i drag and drop from hd to music folder, songs on my itunes library would display a "!" sign, cant locate yada yada, but it restores my playlists though)

9. lorodz

lorodz Member

my itunes is on my onboard hard drive, im trying to back up (which is not a problem) and restore (problematic) itunes with difficulty

10. kinetic88

kinetic88 Member

From iTunes Help page...

Backing up your iTunes library and iTunes Store purchases
    You can easily back up your iTunes library, playlists, and iTunes Store purchases for safekeeping.
    It’s important to make backups of your purchases from the iTunes Store. If you lose a purchased item for any reason and haven’t backed it up, you’ll have to buy it again.
    If you use Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard to back up your computer, your iTunes library and purchased items are backed up whenever Time Machine does a backup. To find out more about using Time Machine to back up and restore your library or purchases, see Mac Help in the Finder.

If you don’t use Time Machine, or you want extra backups, you can back up your library or purchases to CD or DVD using iTunes. To reduce the number of discs needed for a backup,

iTunes can perform incremental backups (only items added or changed since the last backup), or back up your iTunes Store purchases only.
    To burn a DVD, your computer must have a SuperDrive. Some third-party DVD burners may also work. For more information, see:

About burning CDs and DVDs
    To create backup CDs or DVDs:
    Choose File > Library > “Back up to Disc.”
    Select your options, and then click Next.
    Insert a blank disc (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD-RW).
    Click Back Up.
    iTunes burns the number of items that fit on one disc, and then asks you to insert subsequent discs to continue burning the remaining files. Don’t eject a disc while a backup is in progress.

Hope this helps.

11. John H

John H Member

No compression is involved it just copies the files to the backup disk.

12. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

copy all the songs and the files, or drag from your itunes, then to your drive
    if you want to make sure about everything, copy the 'iTunes' folder from your itunes directory, then after, your itunes will still have the playcounts, and the different et ceteras, haha :p

13. lorodz

lorodz Member

yap thats what i did and im happy that itunes remembered my playlists and playcount etc. but what itunes doesnt remember is the location of my music files! im rebuilding my itunes now. 3,000 more songs to sort.:eek:

14. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

it will remember the location actually, but you should remember that all the songs should be placed into just ONE location so when you're going to put everything back again, it won't get effed up,

i usually have the folder D:\Music Library [where 100% of the songs are placed], and after encountering millions of times of reformats, my iTunes library is still alive and kickin'

15. lorodz

lorodz Member

nice tip! from now on ill save it there rather than C:\Users\...\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music,

your way is much better and i have a hunch that i will survive a major crash with your tip. thanks

16. carlozesteban

carlozesteban Member

yea.. this is what i also do, although i tick on the "let itunes organize my..." thing so i won't have to worry about directories and filenames. (since i always fix the metadata after importing so everything will be organized properly)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.