What's happening with BTB's service?

Discussion in 'Beyond The Box' started by mosaka, Apr 26, 2018.

1. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, I sent them an email already. I sent it to a lawyer friend, too. One of their responses is that it doesn’t count, because it’s a promotion daw. Well promos have those DTI promo numbers, and if its not on it, then it’s not a promo. Something they could’ve resolved easily will get them into deeper trouble if ever.

http://www.philmug.ph/community/media/c23b1147-ea7e-4084-bac4-3e75687047f5.119/full

2. docjbr

This is the email trail from today. The second part of this shows the email that I ordered the GC's from them, and paid in cash, picked up at One Rockwell.

On Friday, September 27, 2019, 3:17 PM, Mia of Beyond the Box <sales@beyondthebox.ph> wrote:

Hi, Jeffrey!
    Thank you for sharing this with us. We understand your frustration. Again, as per our management, our stores cannot honor your expired GC.
    Looking forward for your understanding.

On Fri, Sep 27 at 2:24 PM , Jeffrey Racoma <docjbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Please note this email thread from before, I paid for it in cash, and not part of your promotion.
    Hence, it is good as cash.
    Jeffrey Racoma

Hi, Jeffrey!
    As per our management, we can no longer accommodate this in our stores since it has been expired a long time ago. Gift cards that were issued for purposes of promotion and alike are not covered by the Gift Check Act. Thank you for your understanding in this unfortunate matter.

On Fri, Sep 27 at 11:39 AM , Jeffrey Racoma <docjbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Thank you. Looking forward to your reply

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:34 AM, Mia of Beyond the Box <sales@beyondthebox.ph> wrote:

Hi, Jeffrey!
    Thank you for your inquiry. We will have this coordinated with the appropriate department so we can give you the best resolution. We would like to ask for your patience as we try to settle this matter.

And the emails from 2015

Begin forwarded message:

On Friday, October 23, 2015, 4:34 PM, Beyond the Box Sales <sales@beyondthebox.ph> wrote:

Okay Sir noted.

Thank you,
    Danica
    Beyond the Box
    Office hour: Mon. - Sat. 8:00am - 5:00pm

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 01:31:51 -0700
    Subject: RE: Beyond The Box Gift Certificates
    To: sales@beyondthebox.ph

Thank you. Will drop by tomorrow, Saturday.

On 23 Oct 2015, 11:31:27 AM, Beyond the Box Sales wrote:

Hi,
    Good day!
    Please pick up your 24,000 GC at BTB One Rockwell just look for Dann.

Thank you,
    Danica
    Beyond the Box
    Office hour: Mon. - Sat. 8:00am - 5:00pm

> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 00:43:47 -0700
    > From: docjbr@yahoo.com
    > Subject: Beyond The Box Gift Certificates
    > To: sales@beyondthebox.ph
    >
    > Good day!
    >
    > My name is Jeffrey Racoma, and I am a member of PhilMUG.
    >
    > I will be needing P24,000.00 worth of Beyond The Box Gift Cards, in P1,000 increments. I'd like to place my order, and for pick up at One Rockwell. Kindly inform me once it is available for pick up. Thank you.

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

no wonder you won't let go—that's not chump change. so i don't blame you. one big fight! :D

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

In one of their repies:
    So buying GCs with cash is considered as their "promotion"?

If I buy GCs from a different store like Rustan's, those are considered as promotion as well?

I think BTB management has a serious lack of reading comprehension in this case.

Edelheid and raypin like this.
  5. docjbr

Haha, not all of that :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I think that’s what they’re trying to say. Their gift cards, they’re considering it as a promo daw, even if I paid for it in cash. Galing no? Let’s see na lang what DTI will say about it :) Will just let them handle it na lang, I have a friend looking into it na.

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  6. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

It is simple if cash was used to secure the GC it cannot have an expiry date even if that GC were sold on a promo or special sale since once cash was exchanged the GC becomes of an instrument of value synonymous with cash that was given. Since Cash cannot expire hence the same characteristics is acquired by the GC.

Ejaxene, raypin, docjbr and 1 other person like this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can send a complaint with their Consumers Complaint Center online or on call.

Usually they will ask the seller to respond to your complaint within 15 days. If no action, DTI will direct the seller to appear at their investigation and enforcement bureau to address the issue. You may be required to appear also.

Be aware there will be third-party conciliation efforts, and if that fails, DTI can decide on the merits, demand restitution, and in some cases, ask damages for the consumer.

Such is the case with administrative proceedings. Be patient if you do make a complaint.

bowman60 and docjbr like this.
  8. docjbr

So they sent me another email today, on a Sunday morning.

“Good day, Jeffrey!
    This is —- ——- of Beyond the Box. We understand how frustrating this matter from your end. However, as mentioned in our previous conversation, we can no longer accept nor accommodate expired GCs.

This policy falls under Republic Act No. 109621 Section 6 - Exclusions- Gift checks that are issued to consumers including, but not limited to, those under loyalty rewards, or promotional programs, as determined by the DTI, are not covered by this Act. Coupons or vouchers as defined under Section 4 subparagraph (b) are not likewise covered by this act.

You may coordinate with DTI or any above us to resolve this matter. We will not stand in the way for you to exercise your rights.
    Also, please see the attached file of Republic Act No. 109621 for your reference. Thank you!”

I don’t understand how they keep claiming this is a promo. It’s not like those cards that Chili’s give out after your meal where kids eat free on your next visit. That’s a promo or a voucher. I didn’t pay for it, and I didn’t ask them to give it to me.

But the GCs I have, I paid for it in cash. Legal tender. Sheesh.

Edelheid and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I do not see how BTB can lose here by honoring the GCs. Sa kanila na pera ni Doc. Bibilhin ang produkto nila. Kikita pa rin sila sa produkto nila. What the....... :mad::mad::mad:

#69 raypin, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Edelheid likes this.
  10. docjbr

And by being like this, I doubt I’ll ever visit another Beyond The Box ever. The promo is over na daw... friendship is over na din :ROFLMAO:

Bottomline is, I gave them money. The value of that amount should never expire. And it wasn’t a promo when I acquired it. They can’t even say what their promo is, they’re just saying all the GCs they issued that people bought are under a promo. Good luck defending that.

#70 docjbr, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    wulf, Edelheid and raypin like this.
  11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Keep us updated. I'm curious where this goes.

From the DTI website, linked to a google drive PDF document: Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10962 Otherwise Known as The "Gift Check Act of 2017"

Section II, section 2: Exclusions:

Do your GCs contain those words?

rvaph and hitme64 like this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Gift Certificates with redeemable monetary value, or convertible to in kind, are valid as tender. So if it is tender it can be returned, exchanged, redeemed or converted as the case may be.

Loyalty gift checks are granted with specific values indicated in the paper, as a general rule, except those which indicates therein that same is valid within a specified period of time and for a specific item of value that celebrates the granting of said privilege thereof. That would make it excluded from the purview of the IRR.

docjbr likes this.
  13. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

I am curious how much the contested gc are that btb would risk losing a client and having a case open with dti.

docjbr likes this.
  14. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

For me, I don’t really care what’s covered on not by the law, but the mere fact that you bought the GCs (whether it be gift cheques or gift cards) from them and paid it with cash, said GCs shouldn’t really have an expiry date.

I mean, inadvance and inassure mo na nga to them yung ‘possible sale’ of an item since this GC can obviously only be used in their stores. Kumbaga nag cash in ka na sa kanila and there was no cash-out or item tendered at the same time.

I dunno, just my two centavos. I’ll crawl back to lurking now.

yehey9, docjbr and gracegal like this.
  15. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

Did they tell you what promo they were referring to or was it specified in the GCs? That should be made clear when you bought the GCs.

16. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

You also have to consider that the law you are referring to became effective only after the GCs expired. The applicable law should be the old one, if there is any.

17. docjbr

The law is applicable for GCs 2012 and later(y)

They know that, too, that’s why they’re using the promo clause as an escape, but now they’d have to defend it is a promo, when I didn’t even avail it through a promo. It was just a transaction that I initiated, and if you check the email thread, had to be cleared by their higher ups since it was a big amount.

raypin and macmacoy like this.
  18. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

haha always get similar responses like this from powermac and beyond the box, kaya sometimes when they approach me i just pretend i dont see or hear them and go about finding the item i'm looking for on my own, masisira lang araw mo when you hear their "customer service." Anyways, good thing the only time i really need them is when a new apple gadget comes around and i opted to wait for the local warranty, otherwise with accessories and such there is always online, cheaper pa nga madalas

hitme64 likes this.
  19. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Common sense dictates that if you paid full price, it is not a promo.

Qin Zhi, triggerbokie and Ghibli like this.
  20. docjbr

So in this case, common sense is not so common to them then?:whistle:

Qin Zhi and raypin like this.