What's happening with BTB's service?

Discussion in 'Beyond The Box' started by mosaka, Apr 26, 2018.

1. udorotheo

udorotheo Member

In mid-Dec 2018, I requested a quotation for an upgraded MBA (more RAM, bigger SSD) using the online form on the BTB website. I was contacted by email by Lana, who provided prices for the standard-build MBA. I clarified that I had requested for the price of a MBA with upgraded specs, only to be told by Lana that I had to physically go to one of the BTB stores to get a quotation (apparently it's impossible for Lana to give me the info via email). I went to the BTB store at Uptown Mall last Dec. 20 and asked for the quotation to be emailed to me. I followed up by phone after New Year and was told my request is with their sales department. I sent another message via the website online form to follow up, and Lana replied "is this for corporate purchase?" Since it could be a corporate purchase, I said yes, and she looped in their corporate sales team. The corporate sales team was quick to respond but gave me a quotation for a standard MBA. Obviously Lana did not provide them with the details of my requested specs, so I had to clarify, and finally, today, I got the quotation I had requested a month ago. Unfortunately, the quoted price is much higher than that provided by another reseller.

Summary: poor customer care and pricier than another reseller.

lardcas, ericb, miggyhipolito and 3 others like this.
  2. bonjourjb

bonjourjb New Member

I had a rather poor experience today with BTB Robinsons Manila branch. I called to reserve for an XR unit for pickup on Wednesday night. The salesperson asked for my name. I dictated my name and spelled it out. The salesperson couldn't properly understand me. Paulit ulit ako with my name. I got a bit irritated and asked the salesperson to repeat my name and the spelling to double check if he got it correct. That's the only time he told me may problem yung linya ng tawag. What dismayed me was natatawa pa yung salesperson instead of simply saying may problem yung call early on para nagawan ko paraan (like calling back or call via my mobile phone). :(

Now I'm planning to look for another BTB branch na mas professional kausap.

3. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't know where else to put this, and I don't think it deserves a thread of its own.

So I found some Beyond The Box GC's not much, not enough to by a gadget, but enough to buy several accessories/cables/cases.

The thing is, I bought several gift cards in 2015, and I have a thread with Abet, that I ordered them. Since it was a big amount, he had to have the bosses give an okay for it. Once it was available, I picked them up at Beyond The Box One Rockwell, and paid cash, since he said I can't use a credit card. Some of them I used to give as prizes for the PhilMUG Fantasy League, but some I was going to give as a gift. I've been doing this for several years, and we only stopped 2 years ago when they stopped issuing GC's. Our league, since we called it the PhilMUG league, we wanted to still give out prizes that are still "Apple" centered, hehe

Well, I still had some left over, and found them a week ago.

Now I asked them about it, though it does say it expires October of 2016. As long as it was not part of a promotion (This 100 pesos entitles you to a drink at Starbucks worth 100 for free, etc), there's a law that says GC's should not expire since they are as good as cash.

Well, the reply I got was:

Hi, Jeffrey!
    Thank you for sharing this with us. We understand your frustration. Again, as per our management, our stores cannot honor your expired GC.
    Looking forward for your understanding.

I read up on it (http://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2017/12dec/20171219-RA-10962-RRD.pdf), it says GC's, as long as it is not part of a promotion, should still be honoured by all establishments.

Should I just let this one go?

raypin likes this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

No harm in emailing Jeff a copy of the law, and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise,...

Let it go. Let it go.

Sa November na ang Frozen 2. ;)

5. docjbr

I did, sent them a copy of the law, a PDF file, and a link. This was their response.

Hi, Jeffrey!
    Thank you for sharing this with us. We understand your frustration. Again, as per our management, our stores cannot honor your expired GC.
    Looking forward for your understanding.

On Fri, Sep 27 at 2:24 PM , Jeffrey Racoma <docjbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Please note this email thread from before, I paid for it in cash, and not part of your promotion.
    Hence, it is good as cash.
    Jeffrey Racoma

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, September 27, 2019, 1:48 PM, Mia of Beyond the Box <sales@beyondthebox.ph> wrote:

Hi, Jeffrey!
    As per our management, we can no longer accommodate this in our stores since it has been expired a long time ago. Gift cards that were issued for purposes of promotion and alike are not covered by the Gift Check Act. Thank you for your understanding in this unfortunate matter.
    On Fri, Sep 27 at 11:39 AM , Jeffrey Racoma <docjbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Thank you. Looking forward to your reply

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:34 AM, Mia of Beyond the Box <sales@beyondthebox.ph> wrote:

Hi, Jeffrey!
    Thank you for your inquiry. We will have this coordinated with the appropriate department so we can give you the best resolution. We would like to ask for your patience as we try to settle this matter.
    On Fri, Sep 27 at 11:27 AM , Jeffrey Racoma <docjbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

Good day!
    I purchased Beyond the Box GC's in 2015 to give away to employees. I just realized that I still have 3 left.
    I took note of the recent law that GC's do not have expiration dates, and since these cards were not given as a promo, but bought with cash, these technically do not have an expiration.
    http://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2017/12dec/20171219-RA-10962-RRD.pdf
    May I ask if I can be endorsed to Beyond the Box One Rockwell, so I can use these GC's?
    Thank you very much.
    Jeffrey Racoma

6. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Maybe we know how much gc you have left?

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

There's a reasonable chance that they stopped issuing GCs because of issues like this.

You can Greta Thunberg it and fight for your right. :rolleyes:

Or i-bonus mo na lang yan sa sumasagot ng pagkain natin pag Xmas party. ;)

Or DM the owner and say "hindi ko na ipaglalaban pa, bilang pasasalamat". Passive-aggressive pa more. :D

I don't even ask for a PhilMUG discount when I buy from that supplier.

Choose your battles. Mahina kalaban :D pagbigyan. ;)

hitme64 likes this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I didn’t even know they give out GCs and am a frequent window browser at their stores :whistle: And while it’s true GCs have no expiration dates (technically, you say) that seems quite a long time already to redeem same. But you can ask what’s the policy with them. No harm trying. Baka me ipalit pa na bagong GC ;)

9. docjbr

I've finally decided, Roland.

Sa Christmas Party ng PhilMUG will donate it, i-raffle natin.

Sa mananalo, bahala ka na diyan! :ROFLMAO:

But since you mentioned it, will probably not attend a PhilMUG party anymore ;) May kahihiyan din naman ako.:):ROFLMAO:

But yes, as suggested by you, will let this one go.

10. docjbr

Well the law says GC's paid for in cash has no expiration, they're as good as cash. But their policy is that they won't honor them anymore. I tried, they declined and said they will not honor it.

11. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

so i guess BTB is under new management? i asked because it appears that the difference in service is really different from before?

ericb likes this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....there is no reason for BTB not to make an exemption. It is within management's prerogative to waive the rules. If they decide to stick to their guns and be technical about it, so be it........not good imo.

ericb and docjbr like this.
  13. hitme64

Yes, and in doing so they violate certain consumerism laws. Or they don’t give a damn about their clients anymore?

memphis, ericb and docjbr like this.
  14. docjbr

They don’t give a damn anymore :)

Two can play that game, don’t really care anymore. If Roland will say I’ve been fed by them, I can pretty much say I’ve fattened their pockets through the years from products and food that I’ve paid for. So quits lang (y)

But that’s the last time I’ll ever deal with them, lots of other places to go to. Same way, they won’t miss a customer din naman.

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Haha, the new *fruit cake*!

Sounds like you have a stash of GCs though or you wouldn't be that irate. Trade for my stash of (years worth of unredeemed) Kuusamo GCs? ;)

16. docjbr

I agree, a bit different. But on the other hand, I'm also thinking, are we (PhilMUG, naks, we) still such a target market for them? Our presence hasn't been that much lately, baka wala na tayo pull unlike in the past. Just thinking lang from the other side of the fence.

I think I still remember the time they told me they won't issue GC's anymore. I couldn't buy GC's anymore for our Fantasy League, so it became a money league. What they told me was that may "internal" issues daw. So our league shifted to cash prizes. But I'm guessing there were GC's not accounted for, kaya they stopped issuing it? Baka they think mine are "fake"? I have an M.D. naman after my name, I won't even tarnish my name just for several GC's, if they think I'm fraudulent. But yeah, not good nga... Not worth my time to lose sleep over.

What is usually a joyous "YESSSSS!!!"

Next number, GC's from docjbr, is... #57!

#57 Ticket Holder: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!:mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hitme64 likes this.
  17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

That's what I suspected. Perhaps, there was fraud, and maybe selectively honoring GCs might be a can of worms they'd rather not open. Or maybe "internal issue" is a convenient alibi. All depends on whether you want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I bet the owner would let you walk out with a gadget with an equivalent value, out of hiya. Whether you pursue that option is entirely up to you.

hitme64 likes this.
  18. docjbr

Charlie will always be Charlie to us :D And even if I can say hi and hello to him, and greet each other on Facebook, I don't feel comfortable going that route. Here on PhilMUG, with how busy he is, I doubt he'll read this, kaya I'm okay with posting it here, and getting advice from guys like you. But yeah, I don't think I want to go there, I don't want to be "that" guy(y)

Ako din, hindi ko pa nagagamit Kuusamo GCs ko...:whistle::rolleyes:

Let's just say I still have lots of Purple Cards, those Rustan's paper GC's, and H&M cards lying around. I don't like receiving gift cards, in my head, the person that gave it to me didn't give me much thought, so I'm not that excited to use it. I end up not using them unless I really need something from there, kasi in my head... wala naman expiration date yan eh :p

hitme64 likes this.
  19. hitme64

BTB and PMC are two of the most disrespectful Apple resellers I know of based on my experiences. They not only disrespect you by saying inane things while you ask them questions but disrespect what you sometimes tell them about what you know of. As if mas magaling ang geniuses nila dahil BTB sila.

“Meron ba kayo Nomad titanium strap for Apple Watch?”
    “Leather lang meron wala pa titanium sa market.”
    “Ow? Nasa website ng Nomad me titanium na sila.”
    “Hinde, pang Samsung lang iyun”
    Galeng niya ano?

docjbr likes this.
  20. mree

mree Well-Known Member

They are in violation of the law, according to my sister who works for the DTI. Please note her comment is simply based on what I showed her from this thread. BTB should revalidate the GCs. My sister’s suggestion is to email DTI. consumercare@dti.gov.ph. I know you might probably have let this issue go, as the amount may be immaterial to you, but businesses have to taught lessons in consumer care.