what to keep? air 2.13ghz or 15" mbp 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by jayar04, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

guys quick question... which to keep?

air 2.13ghz 128gb ssd 2gb ram (sept 11, 2010 warranty) or
    mbp penryn 2.5ghz 250gb hdd 2gb ram (out of warranty)

both in super duper mint condition (mbp having a suuuuuper small dent that i dunno where i got it, small dent at the back part (cant be seen if the lcd is open))

:( some people are telling me to keep the mbp instead... your thoughts

2. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Classic question: Which one suits your daily needs the most? The MBA is more portable while the MBP is more powerful.

3. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

what MBA? is this the revision A? correct if am wrong, but i read something about an issue on macbook air about it's hinge. what mbp penryn, unibody or aluminum?

4. Tecson

Tecson Member

please, why do such personal question needs to be ask through the club.
    first of all, ask Yourself.
    second, ask a spouse or GF,
    third ask your friends, the one that knows you the most.

my question to you is, if someone did reply, do you take it seriously?? i dont think so...

5. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

hmmmmmm...

soulspain: mba is the latest one released july 09.. the mbp is pre-unibody early 08
    tecson: i guess it is a personal question. I'm stuck with this dilemma of what to do because i'm contemplating of letting go of a powerful unit but then friends are saying to dispose it and keep the portable one.. and yes, i've already asked my peers already.. i'm just looking for views other than portability vs. power and i decided to open the topic to fellow mac users who might've been in the same situation.. i take things seriously here by the way.. even though i'm craving for the unibody mbp's i still haven't changed my mbp primarily because some people said that there's a new refresh early next year -- therefore i highly consider the views and opinions of other people here.. sorry if this thread offended / ticked you in any way.. for that, my apologies..

#5 jayar04, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

I'd keed the MBP

7. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ok. i suggest that take the one which can attend your needs. also consider the price. MBA is a very light weight machine. MBP has more power and more options. if you can wait for the refresh of mbp, then you can go for MBA. anyways, just follow your heart! :cool:

MBA - i dream this thin machine i drooling over, is its structure, weight, built and appearance. downside is that, very limited specs. 1 usb port, lower computing power and needs external superdrive, but yet, can't cross fingers when i have this machine!

MBP - satisfies my needs. 15" screen is something. power is good. portability, compared with MBA, quite lower in numbers.

this only my opinion, correct me if i'm wrong. hope this could help. :)

#7 soulspain013, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

Here, here!

The Air sucks!

9. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Yeah well, as told before by the other fellow PhilMUGers, this is really a personal decision. Do you need the portability then go with the Air. Also to consider is that the Air you got there has a SSD, which makes things a lot faster. If I had to choose between the two, I would get the Air because of the portability and the SSD drive. The value should be higher. Additionally it still has warranty, which the MBP does not have anymore.

So let's ask you: What do you want to do with the machine???

10. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

i use a lot of programs.. but i'm tired of bringing the heavy mbp.. i'll post the air already.. i guess i'll just get a super cheap netbook if i need portability for different circumstances.. i'll sell the air and just change my mbp once the new refresh comes out.. :p thanks thanks

11. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

nice! i misread the post! the MBA pala has still its warranty! it is a good choice than the MBP which is out of warranty. you just said, you gonna sell it nalang. congrats!

12. mikesaba8

mikesaba8 Member

i have the same dilema coz ill be getting a 2nd computer and i opted for daniel's air! im still to get it tomorrow :)

13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

to each his own...actually i've owned both and let go both...

and no, the air doesn't suck...but given a choice, i'd get this one over the pro...but it's just me

14. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

if power is a major factor here, mpb is the thing, i just got my mbp and i believe i made the right choice, mbp is light enough for me as compared with windows laptops, air is just too weak in its features but then its just me...

15. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I love the MBP.

16. joseph_camela

joseph_camela Active Member

I will go for the MBP for me.

17. joy08

joy08 Member

'ill go for mbp but in his case i'll pick the air coz of its warranty.:) sell it before the warranty expire then buy a new mbp.. hahaha

18. panis

panis Well-Known Member

I would go for the mbp. If it is not yet the unibody model then it is a 15"? Don't let go of it!

19. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

@JOY08: hahaha. ok lang.. mas mabilis mabenta pag may warranty eh... i'll keep my 08 mbp na muna... not unless may mga takers.. haha.. i want a customized matte screen kasi if ever.. kaya pahirapan..

20. essay

essay Active Member

Let me add.

If one of these will be my primary/main computer, I will keep the MBP.

I always view the MBA as a supplement to a main computer. For my needs, graphics, video, music, photo, it is underpowered. MBA won't be able to handle all these as a primary and only computer.

It's sexy and light but it doesn't have a Pacquiao punch power.