What to do with vintage & obsolete Macs?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by King, Aug 18, 2019.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I have about a dozen Macbook Pros, iMacs, Macbook Airs and Macbooks from 2006-2013 that are considered by Apple as vintage & obsolete.

I checked the olx.ph prices of them and they range from 5,000-50,000

All of them need a good cleaning inside and out, replacement SSD to get them usable.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The vintage ones I had (old Mac G3s and G4s) I gave to a memorabilia collector for no money, except to say that he displays from whom the items came from. For posterity sake.

The newer ones, like 1st gen MacBook Air and Macbook I sold to my suki in GH for cash, as is. Not that much but still cash. I had a 16-inch MacBook Pro circa 2009 which is heavy and slow but serves as file storage for pictures and music. And a couple of 1st gen iPad and iPad Mini that ended up as a wall clock and Waze direction finder in the truck respectively.

3. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Post them for sale here someone like me might be interested.

janis ian and hitme64 like this.
  4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

By any chance, do you have an old school matte black Macbook? :)

Queen_Ni_King_Archer likes this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Personally... For my old/very old devices.

I try to post them for sale for a month.

If no one buys them... (depends on the size)
    1. I throw it away - electronic's recycle bin (there's 2 near my office) -> normally powerbanks, old Android Phone (almost unsaleable :) )
    2. give it to charity - there's this org collecting every month in our block -> laptops, cameras, monitors
    3. leave it downstairs behind the lift -> tripods, PC docks, TV boxes

hitme64 likes this.
  6. ramil

ramil Active Member

I have a 2006 iMac that's gathering dust at home. Don't know how and where I can sell it. I don't think the stalls in GH (where I've sold my other Apple products) will accept it. Any tips?

7. hitme64

If you throw it for disposal, it will join the e-waste heavens at the trash dumpsite. There at the San Mateo landfill they spend the rest of their lives waiting for the Rainbow Shutdown, like maybe a thousand years waiting.
    F102B402-8A3A-4118-B383-47638179A6D2.jpeg

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Our old white 20 inch 2016 iMac is still alive and kicking as a word processor, basic browser, and email machine in our office. Perhaps you can donate it to a worthy cause. If you are interested please PM me, I might find some poor student or teacher who might need one.

janis ian and ramil like this.
  9. hitme64

A Macintosh G3 I gave to a friend who collects vintage pieces just sold it to a coffee shop in Valle Verde area and it's now on display there. The greenish Apple computer with the same greenish mouse is a conversation piece, so he says.

I am demanding that for whatever coffee the shop sells now, I ask for 1% of the profits as royalties for viewing the G3. The owner has not responded yet.

Dipp likes this.
  10. ramil

ramil Active Member

Thanks! Let me clean it up first and make sure it is still running (it has been a couple of years since I last powered it on). I'll contact you later on. (y)

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  11. Queen_Ni_King_Archer

Black MacBook is ❤️