what should i do when my mac is lost or when i find my stolen mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by trigo, Mar 16, 2009.

1. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

guys,

how do i report stolen mac to apple service centers in manila?

thanks in advance.

trigo

2. simplyme

simplyme Member

Re: reporting stolen macs

you can report it on PowerMac. Before, I've inquired them about that, but they said that they can only retrieve it if the unit was brought in the service center if there is a report that it was lost/stolen.

3. Arel

Arel Active Member

Hi Trigo.

What I was advised to do before when I lost my 17" MBP was to file a police report & provide all the authorized sellers a copy.

According to the resellers, the police report will empower them to hold the unit if it's brought to them.

4. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

authorized sellers are the major sellers in manila? i have the police report and blotter entry with me...

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, I think you can get their full cooperation, authorized service centers to be exact.

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

folks, i've retitled this thread (from "reporting stolen macs") to turn it into something more general, so we can discuss ways and means of dealing with lost/stolen macs in one thread, without necessarily dealing with specific cases or personalities. as we know, macs have become very popular objects, and some of us have unfortunately have had our macs stolen. others have--equally unfortunately and likely unwittingly--purchased stolen macs. what's one to do in these circumstances? here's where your ideas/experiences/suggestions come in.

7. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

In line with this, I had my Macbook Air insured last November. I googled Malayan Insurance (the one which insures cellphones), went to their webpage and sent them an inquiry. One of their staff e-mailed me back with the offer. They gave me a quote which is around 8-9% of the total value of my Mac at around that time. The stipulation insures the Mac for one year, and covers theft and burglary, however, there is a clause which states that they won't cover it if it gets lost in a public area (coffee shops or the like). That clause was pretty lame for me but I read it after paying the amount so that's it.

This is no way an endorsement to the company since I have no experience with regards insurance claims nor do I have information with their track record on insurance claims. Hopefully, I won't need to use it.

8. Arel

Arel Active Member

To those MUGgers whose car windows got smashed during the theft of their Macs, where did you source the replacement window? & how much did it cost?

#8 Arel, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. cnight

cnight Member

if your mac got stolen, file a report on the nearest police station immediately. if this happened inside your house, try to get fingerprints on the knob or any surface the culprit might have touched. report the serials to all apple resellers, give them a copy of the report, post the serials here, pinoymac, kvilla's serialmacs and even tipidpc. when you found your stolen mac, try to settle it off-court. wala namang hindi nadadaan sa matinong usapan. but make it clear to the person that returned the unit that he/she won't get any compensation or "refund" from returning the unit.

if you have pics, evidences or anything against the fencer (who won't cooperate or can't be found again) post it here.

if you found or bought a stolen mac, return it. try to find the person who sold it to you, he might also be in trouble if he also bought the unit from someone else.

10. 180er

180er New Member

Reg. insurance. I remembered being told that loss and theft are two different things. If laptop is stolen in a coffee shop while you grab a drink, it's considered loss not theft. But if an armed man barges in, brandishes a weapon, and demands surrender of all laptops, that is theft.

11. John H

John H Member

After reading many post of victimized Philmuggers, I have to say is NEVER ever leave anything expensive inside your car.

12. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

I agree.

Prying eyes are everywhere just waiting for a victim, probably stalking laptop owners (and/or anything expensive they have) at the malls going to & from their vehicles (making a list for next time they spot your car & they noticed that you're not bringing it w/you anymore). They're probably 2nd guessing &/or monitoring if it's in your car or not, just waiting for that opportunity to break into your car later.

So if it's too much trouble for you to always bring w/you your laptop when you park your vehicle, then don't bring it at all in the first place when you drive (if you're just going to leave it in your car), unless you want to increase the risk your car from being forcedly opened & your beloved laptop taken as well in the process later.

#12 keyboardstyli, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  13. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

anybody have an idea the contact numbers, fax or email where i can send the police report blotter to? am outside of manila thus would hoping that i can fax/email the request for them...

14. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

To inject some levity to this serious topic and the equally somber replies -

What to do when your Mac is stolen: Pray...

What to do when you find your stolen Mac: Pray harder!

Cheers and have a good morning, guys!

15. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

I agree.

You could always hope/wish/pray!

But let me add a "One More Thing" to that as well now.. don't forget to search your Mac's SN everytime you log into philmug.ph :cool: or just plain search it all over the internet (it might just help you locate your Mac back)! ;)

#15 keyboardstyli, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  16. macalua

macalua Member

@soloworx amen!

When you lose it, consider it 99.99% gone. There's really very little chance you'll get it back. The sooner you accept that, the easier it is to let go and move on :)

Other things one should do:
    1. Report the incident to authorities, give as many details as possible.

2. Setup Google Alerts to ping you for any unique identifier, i.e. serial #

3. Start a thread for posterity in Philmug. It's hard to debate ownership when you see an "I've been robbed" post in Philmug moments after the actual incident complete with pictures and a sad story.

4. Get all documents to prove ownership in order. In my case, I didn't throw away the original box and I also had our CDW rep email me the invoice. You never know when these items will come in handy.

5. Wait and hope for the best.

17. djwoblely

djwoblely Member

What to do when you find out the mac you bought was stolen.

As almost everyone knows I have purchased a stolen mac. and now do not know what to do. As it seems the original owner of this situation wins and I probably get nothing and loose money. I also might have lost face here on this site even though i have been a contributing member.
    I goggle my name and the situation is one of the firs to pop up. I feel this situation is unfair to me. I understand that the original owner maybe mad but what about me? I don't intend to be selfish here.

18. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

Re: What to do when you find out the mac you bought was stolen.

Dude I dont really think that you will "lose face" in this site because everybody knows that your not the culprit here and just another victim.

But sad truth says that you have no other option but to return the unit to the actual owner and try to pursue the one who sold it to you by yourself alone.

19. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

20. castoclown

castoclown Member

Re: What to do when you find out the mac you bought was stolen.

Nah, don't worry about your rep djwoblely! I think most of us understand that you were a victim too. :)

Now, what to do? That is indeed a hard question. I believe that God answers prayers; so for me, prayer always goes first when a situation arises. Pray individually and collectively (ask others to pray for your situation as well).

Second - Do what is right and just. Surrender the stolen item.

Third - Trace or find the person you bought the item from by all means possible.

Fourth - Lastly (and again), thank God for whatever the outcome will be. It's His plan from the beginning! :D