What router to use for a USB dongle modem?

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by ivebeenmugged, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ivebeenmugged

ivebeenmugged Member

In the past month, I've tried all 3 network providers of mobile broadband: SmartBro, Globe Tattoo and Sun Broadband. I am finally happy with my Sun. Price, speed and service if pretty good compared to the other 2 (what a shame). Now I'm looking for a router for this so I don't have to keep connecting and at the same time share my connection with other laptops and not worry about it snapping off my USB port. I thought I saw a shop in Greenhills using a router with the Sun dongle but I didn't get to stop to ask about it. Can anyone suggest a router and where I can find one? Thanks!

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can drop by the Sun Shop and get the huawei D100 router, you can plug in your sun cellular modem and do the easy setup. It has 1 ethernet port and can connect 32 wifi users. 3,500 is the SRP

3. rdy0329

do a 1-3 page backread on the Sun Broadband Wireless thread and you will see the specs for that device.

4. ivebeenmugged

ivebeenmugged Member

great. thanks! i was looking for that in the other thread.

5. paul_s

paul_s Member

6. ivebeenmugged

ivebeenmugged Member

#6 ivebeenmugged, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  7. rdy0329

IT IS the router. You will plug the modem (that little antenna that is movable is the modem) to that small device and it will broadcast wifi signal. Just go to any sun shops, preferably a crowded one to get that device.

It has 1 rj-45 or ethernet connector for one wired PC.

8. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

Can I connect a Time Capsule in the rj-45 port for this d100?

9. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Look up the DIR-655. :)

10. purpledge

purpledge Member

cant the AirPort Express be configured to do this? i mean, plug the dongle in the USB port and work its magic?

11. rdy0329

@pupledge Yes, but the problem with that is that 1 you have to turn on your computer all the time 2, you will such up more power.

@bedanmick Just set the Time capsule to bridge mode and you will be OK.

@king its costlier.

12. ladyjoan

ladyjoan New Member

@rdy0329 is it possible to insert a sun cellular broadband dongle to the airport express and have wi-fi?

13. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

I dont think it will work if you will directly connect the USB dongle to the USB port of the airport express since it is only for printer server use. But this is just my opinion.

Pls correct me guys if im wrong.

14. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

[​IMG] 3G-6200Wg
    Wireless 802.11b/g 3G Broadband Router with Print Server
    • Shares 3G connection or xDSL/Cable connection with network users
    • Supports xDSL or cable broadband backup when 3G is not available
    • Provides 2 USB 2.0 Ports for UMTS/HSDPA mobile Internet service and Printer sharing
    • Includes 16-languages EZmax setup wizard for Internet connection, wireless security and firmware upgrade
    • Complies with the IEEE 802.11b/g wireless standards
    • Supports WEP, WPA, WPA2, DDNS, QoS, Anti-DoS Firewall, MAC/IP filter, URL blocking, Virtual Server and DMZ
    Yes it works.. One of my friends had me get this and he's been using it with his SUN Unlimited Data.. Cheaper alternative than getting another mobile phone and doing a BT DUN (since it is limited to one computer only)..

[​IMG]

15. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

which router is best to use for these usb modems in all aspects? like price, signal strength, maintenance.

is it the edimax or the SUN's huawei d100?

16. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

bedanmick: how much is Sun's Huawei D100?

17. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

longbeard: its 3.5k for the SUN's huawei d100

so, which do you think is a wise buy between the d100 and the edimax? I think they just have the same price.

18. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

bedanmick: You might want to check this out..

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/tag/huawei_d100
    Posts Tagged ‘Huawei D100’

Three WiFi / 3G Router: Crap

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 I parted company with £69.99 today to purchase Three’s 3G / WiFi router, the Huawei D100. I wish I hadn’t.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve used it for an hour and decided it’s going back to the shop. I may just throw it through the door and hurl abuse, but I hope to have calmed down enough to go in to collect a refund.
    On paper it’s an appealing device - you insert your USB broadband dongle and it creates a WiFi access point… Ideal for the MIR crew when we’re out and about. Every operator will offer one - we saw T-Mobile’s effort recently. So what’s wrong?
    It doesn’t have a battery! It was advertised both in the marketing materials and on Three’s site as having a battery (UK Gadgeteer has the story)…. many sites wrote this up. It doesn’t. It needs a power supply. Three have changed their site without any comment and it’s confused customers. £70 for something that’s tied to a power supply? Bah!
    It’s slow. Oh my god it’s slow. Speed tests are notoriously hard to do, but I never managed to get the router to operate faster than 25% of the speed achieved by using the dongle directly. Pages crawl down. T-Mobile’s unit didn’t feel this bad.
    I love Three - the Skypephone, X-series and cheap broadband, but this really is a massive disappointment
    If the lack of the promised battery doesn’t bother you, I’d still recommend waiting for reviews of a few other models to come in - I couldn’t live with it.

OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Huawei/D100

Huawei D100 3G USB WiFi Router

Hardware

Info

Architecture
    MIPS
    Vendor
    Broadcom
    Bootloader
    CFE
    System-On-Chip
    Broadcom BCM5354
    CPU Speed
    240 Mhz
    Flash size
    4Mbyte (Spansion S29GL032A 2M x 16)
    RAM
    32Mbyte (Hynix HY5DU561622ETP 16M x 16 DDR SDRAM)
    Wireless
    Integrated Broadcom 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    Ethernet
    Integrated Robo switch BCM5325
    USB
    1x USB 2.0 OnChip (USB connected to 3G Modem Host Port by flying leads. Probably only suited for speeds up to 12Mbps)
    Serial
    Yes - via test points, see bottom PCB photo below
    JTAG
    Unknown

Photos

[​IMG]

Bottom

[​IMG]

#18 longbeard, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  19. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

@ longbeard: thanks for the link.

if it is slower, then I guess I'll go for the edimax. it is really feature packed like with print server, and multiple ethernet ports and in case I decide to cancel my SBW and go back to regular DSL line, then I can still use the edimax. I am just not so sure about the performance. I guess I still have to do more digging for reviews.

#19 bedanmick, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  20. longbeard

longbeard Active Member

bedanmick: My friend said the Edimax rocks!