What is your wifi range extender?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by imperialv, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I've tried the powerline route before, but it was inconsistent in speed. It will also depend on the wiring in your home, mine is probably bad. It maxed out around 5megabytes/s only. So I switched to an RE6500 extender and replaced the standard antennae with the bigger linksys antennae. It retains a good speed even with 2 cement walls with a distance of 15 feet. I wouldn't suggest it for gaming though.

porkypork likes this.
  2. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Thanks for the reply, I might just go the extender route as it's the most convenient route.

3. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

For years, I had been using an Airport Express to extend my network (based on an AEBS on the ground floor) to the two upper floors of our house. I had been getting about 3 mbps on the upper floors via this arrangement. In the source room where the AEBS is, the speed was 50.

Last month I had our village handyman lay down Ethernet wire and turned the Airport Express into a wired router. Now the speed near the Airport Express is 50mbps, and in the farthest room 30+mpbs, or 10 times the speed compared with the wireless extender- for a total cost of less than 10k.

JohannChua, paul_s and porkypork like this.