What is your wifi range extender?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by imperialv, Jan 26, 2013.

1. dilbert_8800

dilbert_8800 Member

Ever since Bayan DSL replaced my modem with a modem/router combination (ZTE ZXV10 W300 S) the wifi signal in other parts of the room became weaker. I'm considering wifi extender - will Linksys RE 2000 be compatible? if not, what other brands are compatible? what features should I look for? I don't want to waste money on something that may not work. Any help? thanks in advance! Are there even better models for a modem/router than the one given to me by my provider?

2. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

As a proud user of this, I would recommend the Tenda A3 AP/RE N150 is your best buy, only PHP850 and it reached till the end of my house, but do not rely on my choice, I have not experienced any third-party routers/AP/RE's such as D-Link, TP-LINK, Belkin, NETGEAR, etc. :)

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Member

The Linksys RE1000 or RE2000 works with any brand of wireless N router or wireless gateway.

4. oloc

oloc Member

huh?... third party to what?

5. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

AirPort Express in the 2nd floor extends the AirPort Extreme in the ground floor. Its true that the bandwidth slows down. How do I know if I am connected to the extender, our house is somewhat small but cannot reach the masters bedroom so I put the Express in the hallway. So sometimes di mo alam naka connect ka sa main. O basta me signal either of the stations?

6. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

I use a Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT firmware max out the signal output to 251mW and now the signal reaches all 4 floors of the house. Placed it on second floor.

7. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

Same here. We were using a Linksys Router (Linksys N300 DSL X2000) before Bayan replaced the setup. Can this Linksys also be used to spread the wifi?

Tenda A3 AP/RE N150

8. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

[​IMG]

^This is what it looks like

Watch the unboxing.

9. memboy

memboy New Member

Huawei ws323

10. mackulit

mackulit Member

i use the asus wifi range extender, bought it from abenson. it works perfectly.

11. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

I use 2 of my old DLINK DIR 600 routers, with flashed firmware (dd-wrt), setup as WIRELESS BRIDGE that works as range extenders. Some old routers will work better as range extenders but they need to be compatible with a custom DD-WRT firmware for that particular model. Setup could be moderately to heavily complex depending on router. A good alternative to range extenders if you have old unused routers.

12. erictwendell

erictwendell New Member

Well there is no such wifi range extender as per now. People fool by suggesting some daft applications. But let me tell you that its is because of the hardware.Range of wifi entirely depends upon the hardware compatibility. So no involvement of software would work.

13. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

It pays to read AND understand the topic before replying, lest you be tagged for spamming.

14. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Has anyone here successfully had a Tenda repeater connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station?

Leo

15. azqnow

azqnow Member

I need help in extending the reach of my wifi. i have a prolink modem/router provided by pldt, i tried to extend reach using a linksys e2500 (i think it's b/g/n not so sure about ac) acting as a bridge but i still have dead spot. i was reading on Universal wireless repeaters, but i do not know what brand is available here in iloilo if any.. have anyone used a universal repeater before? what brand? it seems like it's just plug and play - no setup needed, it will repeat any wifi it could catch (does it really perform that well?).

thank you in advance

16. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Try Linksys RE2000... or Powerline Extenders.

17. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Member

Linksys just launched the new wireless range extenders for single band, dual band, and ac.

Linksys Launches New Wi-Fi Network Range Extenders
    New Linksys 802.11ac range extenders are a cord cutter's best friend | ZDNet

Availability in Philippines
    Single Band / Dual Band (September 2014 / White Color - internal antennas)
    AC (October 2014/ Black with external antennas)

Now available:
    Single Band (black color)
    Dual Band (black color)

I do recommend the dual band range extender (RE2000)

•Up to 7,500 Sq. Ft. Range
    •Easy set-up wizard
    •Single SSID for smooth transitions between coverage zones
    •CrossBand Technology uses both bands for faster transfer speeds.
    •Compact, sleek ID has the lowest depth in it’s class.
    •QoS media prioritization for smooth video streaming
    •Wi-Fi Protected Setup
    •10/100 LAN port for wireless bridging
    •N300 (2.4GHz) + N300 (5GHz) Mbps Dual Band

18. rsimpsss

rsimpsss Member

I read that there's a batch of RE2000 with defective chips. It's unstable, drops the signal and freezes/loops. I returned the item twice. Same thing with my other wired linksys range extender, I forge the model. I'm staying away from this brand from now on. Now using a netgear powerline and happy with it so far.

19. azqnow

azqnow Member

i looked in stores here but they did not have that item (re2000).

Has anyone tried Tenda? They have this:
    W303R Wireless N300 RangeMax Router

i was hoping that this Tenda w303r has universal wireless repeater feature.. but on the specs sheet it has WDS, it seems that I may have to buy two units just to make WDS work, or just one if in universal wireless repeater. Because i read that some Tenda routers could do that:

How to configure the Universal repeater for the Access Point(AP)-Function Config-Shenzhen Tenda Technology Co., Ltd.-All For Better NetWorking

... but it is not specified which model could actually do that..

20. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Bringing this thread alive with a question regarding which should I choose, powerline or "traditional" WiFi range extenders? Any first hand experience from fellow PhilMuggers? My main goal is to get better reception on our 2nd floor as my AC router on the ground floor doesn't cover all the areas on our second floor.