What is your wifi range extender?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by imperialv, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

noob question.. can I use wifi extender for my iphone personal hotspot?

2. polyx

polyx Member

You can.

3. mykel18

mykel18 Member

I can adjust the wireless power naman. As long as nacover na yung whole house then ok na. I won't necessarily be using 100% of the wireless power.

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Used a TP-Link and a cheaper CD-R king to set up a WDS system here in our Laguna compound. The lack of interference made it possible to link othe TP-LINK (The one with ISP) with the CD-R king even at around 70m of distance from each other (window to window).

5. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

main: new airport express base station
    extender: old airport express base station (n)

6. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

What brand do you recommend bro?

7. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Main: Time Capsule (2TB, Dual Band)
    Extender: Airport Express (N, 2008)

8. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is what i use, ever reliable, on duty 24/7

9. mackycruz

mackycruz New Member

Bought an edimax n300 wifi extender.. easy to set up and works really good! Got it cheap at vmall the other day.

10. Superman102175

Durian and Pomelo Capital Of The Philippines
  11. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

Got a Tenda A3, for just P850, really good though for the range!!! :)

12. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

I think it will... If it can get two bars from your main router you're good to go...
    I set it up with a Time Capsule...

13. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

All this talk of wi fi extenders has got me thinking.

For example if I have a wifi base station router in room A and the signal strength that I get in room B is only one bar, I add a wifi range extender and boost the signal strength in room B to 5 bars. But the signal link back to the base station is still only one bar. So would this do anything to improve the speed throughput?

Of course it depends on the extender you use and your base station, but I can't help wonder if some of the wifi extenders are just giving a false sense of improvement.

14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Anyone here tried using an airport express as a wireless repeater for an airport extreme? I was planning on putting one in a place where there's no ethernet cable access. But, I was wondering if it will also transmit the guest access and not just the main access.

15. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Member

Linksys RE2000 - Dual Band Wireless N Range extender (works with any brand of wireless n routers)
    for more info visit Linksys Home Networking

16. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Two things:
    1. In principle, you should put the WiFi extender at an intermediate location where there's still at least 50-60% signal strength coming from the source access point.
    2. WiFi extenders (aka. repeaters) won't speed up WiFi throughput. In fact, the opposite is true. By nature of its operation (half-duplex), WiFi performance is halved. In other words, if you deploy a WiFi extender, your WiFi throughput goes down at least 50%.

Dual-band repeaters can help bridge the issue with no. 2 above. However, doing so, you lose one of the RF bands (usually 5GHz) as it will be used as the uplink or backhaul to the source access point.

Consider range extenders to be a last resort. If it can be helped, just wire a second access point near the far-end users so performance is not compromised.

I posted this before but here it is again.... gives you the pros and cons of WiFi repeaters. The Best Wi-Fi Extender | The Wirecutter

17. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

Yes i am using an aebs and an airport express as repeater and it can still transmit the access for the guest user

18. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL and flashed it with the DDWRT firmware and set it up as repeater. Placed it on the second floor to catch the signal from router from ground floor and retransmit it. In terms of speed, it will cut the speed in half since the WRT54GL is 54mbps theoretically, so the speed I only get now from the WRT54GL repeater is around 20mbps. But great thing with the DDWRT is that you pump up the signal / power strength from the standard 71mW to 251mW so wifi signal from the repeater reaches up to 4th floor of our house.

I also use a pair of Powerline Network Adapters to connect my Wimax from 4th floor down to ground floor router.

19. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

I would actually recommend using Powerline Network Adapters since they can carry 200mbps up to 500meters as long as it is in the same powerline loop or circuit breaker.

20. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Member

Powerline is good but most of the houses here in PH got multiple circuit breakers.

That is the reason why Meralco's testing on powerline was a failure.