what is the best web hosting site you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by jonnmd, Dec 5, 2011.

1. knide

knide Member

Hows the speed using eleven2.com ? i'm looking for a new hosting, been with hostingzoom/resellerzoom for years now and was planning on shifting to newer server. Was thinking of going to slicehost.com but they have been bought by rackspace cloud. Although our company is with raskspace cloud sites, this is for my personal sites and cloud systems.

Eleven2 has cloud servers, I contacted them and they recommend me to get their cloud server managed w/ cpanel, costs around 80$/month.

Do you guys have any other suggestions, since I will be running web applications on this new server. So speed and reliability is a big factor. Thanks!

2. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

I was going to say Siteground is a good one until randyrivera pointed out that there is no unlimited hosting out there. :S

Also, don't you ever go with Philwebservices. Had a couple of websites defaced three times this year and cannot answer anything, websites not loading for three days leaving no explanation, no 24/7 support, delayed answers, and even if you talk directly the Owner: Rod Limpot he answers you only once and only tells you that one of his staff will get back to you. It was a nightmare. Sayang Cebuano pa naman.

3. jushjush

jushjush Member

Uhh I use philwebservices and I am very satisfied with their service. I actually would recommend them.

But never ever ever go with philhosting.net.. They are a nightmare. Paid my initial dues. Website not up after 3 days. Now waiting for a refund for 3 months now. God damn.

4. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

Different experiences then.

--------------------------------

Regarding domain names, which company do you recommend to register and manage your domain names separately from a web host?

5. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Definitely faster than my old hosting and I think the speed I get now is the standard. But my hosting package is just one of the 'normal' ones, not reselling/vps etc. I just use it for hosting two WordPress blogs However if you're aiming for the more premium packages, I guess you'll have to research more... But it's just so hard to find reliable reviews...

6. just bry

just bry Member

hi guys, i'm planning to make a photo/travel blog in the next few months. im new to web hosting and i'm currently eyeing for godaddy and eleven2. what are the things that i should look for in web hosting services? and can you please suggest others? thanks!

7. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

You guys should avail of Google's free hosting service. Just buy a domain name and use it. Google is more reliable compared to those hosting companies.

https://sites.google.com/

8. uber_wafu

uber_wafu Member

I'd say Namecheap. Im hosting 20 sites on my server. Im just paying $5.50 per month. 0 down time. More than a year already :) hth

9. Sven

Sven Active Member

Bluehost, Hostgator or Dreamhost, you really can't go wrong with those 3 web hosting giants.

10. bus

bus Active Member
    Supporter

I've used NFSN for WordPress and forum hosting. Reliable and really inexpensive but must have some tech background as they provide minimal support. Excellent place to learn and experiment.

11. deevey

deevey New Member

My top hosts in order:

1. Hostgator - Great customer Support, never any real downtime - everything works!

2. Vexxhost - REALLY cheap, $40 per year! Multimedia files are held on separate servers, decent support - everything works, fast.

I rate Vexxhost #2 due to support not being quite as good as Hostgator.

I found both the above FAST and pretty much all plugins for any CMS I've thrown at it work without any issues.

My WORST hosts in order:

1. Fatcow - Terrible support, slow, unreliable, lots of downtime, some things just "won't work".

2. Bluehost - SLOW, Terrible support, some things just "won't work".

3. Godaddy - Slow as hell, their file manager is almost unusable, if you need to unzip a large site its IMPOSSIBLE (above 64 megs), some plugins (wordpress/joomla) will not work correctly.

I refuse to work with Fatcow / Bluehost anymore for client sites - if they are with go daddy I tell them in advance what issues I've had in the past and if there is a problem AT ALL during install / upload. I request they move or pay more.

12. design.natin

design.natin Member

Is there a difference in speed of my joomla website if the hosting is done through hostgator vs philippine hostings like philwebservices?

13. archon

archon New Member

Webfaction and Mediatemple works best for me. I purchase domains on Godaddy and setup Google Apps for Domain for email, calendar and docs.

I used to host with Slicehost before they were acquired by Rackspace. Linode is a good alternative to those who prefer VPS with root access. I eventually got tired running things myself and I had an associate who would sometimes break things which I had to fix so I switched from unmanaged VPS to a combination of shared hosting (Webfaction) and managed VPS (Mediatemple DV) with Plesk.

I've been with Mediatemple on and off several times from 2006 to present and I love the Mediatemple guys, they have a number you can call for support and the community is great. However I've also experienced the worst in their GS hosting, I was part of the 1st batch of users who were put on the grid and it was just slow and painful or down for several hours at a time. Tried to host a client/friend again on the GS this 2011 but still ran into some issues.

I currently maintain a Mediatemple DV which does not have any issues compared to the GS.

You should also take into consideration hosting with a company that has a data center facility within Asia-Pacific (Hong Kong, Singapore) if you maintain websites that are targeted for the region (Philippines, etc...). One of the problems I run into are our local ISP's routing traffic from Manila to Hong Kong then to LA then Dallas then all over the US before reaching the datacenter in LA. It has to do with the ISP's routing due to their choice of upstream providers. SkyBroadband is one example of a host with terrible routing upstream. PLDT, Globe and Eastern Telecom have better routing.

Webfaction recently added a Singapore facility to their hosting and I've experienced much better loading times and routing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. lovegrocery

lovegrocery Member

Same here we use Media Temple :)

15. Julie12

Julie12 New Member

Hello guys me too looking for best hosting provider after go daddy com can you please suggest me a best one...!!

16. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

avoid fatcow like the plague. had numerous bad experiences with them. ironically, i've never had issues with godaddy when i still used them.

for domain purchases, check out hover.com

17. d_main_man

d_main_man Member

been using ploghost.com in the past and has yet to fail me back then. Also, post sales and customer service is a quite good and replies often.

18. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

+1 for hostgator and MT, godaddy is the worst. I've experience working with wordpress hosted in godaddy hosting and its very pain even in installation.

19. winmag

winmag Member

ixwebhosting! im using their hosting service for more than 5-6 years now.

20. red46

red46 New Member

If you develop enterprise Web Apps and you need better dedicated and cloud infrastructure. I recommend Softlayer Technologies.