What do you prefer, face id, touch id, or both?

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by potpot2, Dec 11, 2017.

1. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

FaceID for me too but I don't want Apple to allow us to register more faces. With TouchID, I enrolled my wife's and daughter's thumbs and I didn't really mind it since I had nothing to hide :p so when FaceID didn't have the option to enroll more than one face, my phone became more private (even though they still know the passcode). I have now enabled FaceID on my BPI App's Quick Portfolio so I can quickly check my balance without logging in, no more accidental App purchases, they can't open my corporate email, as examples.

Sure, TouchID is still faster but FaceID is far more convenient to use, as pointed by the others. TouchID had a good run but change is inevitable :D.

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

FaceID*

Its much better in terms of the overall concept of security/ease of use BUT the PITA moment is every morning when you open the phone in the dark room and squinting doesn't help my Chinese eyes. Gen2 should come next year with the ability to recognize your face in ANY orientation.

1. Banking apps
    2. Website logins
    3. Wet hands/fingers
    4. Usable space/footprint

#22 rdy0329, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

How about turning off require attention for faceid to help with the chinese eyes works for me

4. rdy0329

I'll take security over anything else though and I bet Apple's UX team also prioritized what feature should be the most impt.

5. ment

ment Member

Both, for me

6. rdy0329

After extended use, FaceID removed all my doubts about the system. Failure rate is down to about 2% (2x per 100 tries) including banking apps and logins. That’s quite acceptable for me.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...mirrors my experience as well. Hassle-free biometrics. Hardly fails.

8. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i know someone who looks a lot like his dad and BOOM! when he borrowed his dads iphone boom it opened via face id...

i was shock also. the touch id never failed me or anyone i know. "Failed" meaning the iphone opening without the proper persons finger or face data

9. raypin

Mm...Apple’s study and figures is a one in a million odds that face i.d. will fail (recognizing the wrong face and allowing access). It is not 100% effective or accurate, just 99.9999% accurate.

zagu likes this.
  10. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i agr
    i agree, i just got shookt! hahahaha

11. Czar Bradley

Czar Bradley New Member

Well from the topic, there are 3 choices. So, why choose only 1 if you can have the best of both worlds.

12. rdy0329

Apple did put a disclaimer about the effectiveness when used by a family member. But with any other random stranger, I could believe the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that they claim.

13. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is how I rank my preferences:

1. Face ID
    2. Passcode (ha! how about that)
    3. Touch ID

14. raypin

Mm...I’d love for Apple to integrate Face ID for the rest of its product line-up (iPads and Macs). Kill the home button!

SE20 likes this.
  15. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Face ID works well but when you gotta hide the phone during the meeting to text, touch would be preferred as I can’t look down too often.

potpot2 likes this.
  16. SE20

Yeah. I had to recode my locked Notes so that I could open them with passcode on any device.

17. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Conceptually (what it can do in the future when it's improved and other implementations/applications that will be thought out later on), i prefer face ID. It's the most natural thing.

Today's applicability, having had over 3 months' use of face ID and years on touch ID i prefer the latter. Touch ID today is quicker and lesser false-negatives.

potpot2 likes this.
  18. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Tech-wise, its FaceID but for everyday use, hands down, its still TouchID. I am on the X for a couple for months now. I have gotten use of the FaceID but its still a breeze to use the fingerprint sensor of my Xiaomi A1.

TouchID is better when you got an sms and your phone is inside your pocket. You just get your phone and hold the sensor. Not unlike FaceID where there will always be a step to swipe open. Somebody here said he likes FaceID because he doesn't anymore look at the sensor to aim for TouchID. I was surprised because if you are already used to the sensor, you wouldn't even look at it.

Only problem with my Xiaomi A1 with the sensor at the back, can't use it while its mounted on the dash. But there's an alternative that is good, pattern lock.

I am really missing the home button on my iPhone 7Plus (not my 6SPlus as its button is flimsy). Works all the time. I have sweaty hands once in a while but i don't have issues at all.

I am contemplating on selling my X to get a Product Red 8Plus. Simply gorgeous!

mauwrr likes this.
  19. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

FACE ID

Because when you sleep, nobody will get to your phone. (y)

Also, I like the SWIPE UP AFTER FACE SCAN feature because of this short content/notification peeking. If this feature will be removed, how would you control you music or anything you want to access in the lock screen without totally getting into your phone?

Why not TOUCH ID?
    Experienced hiding your fingers when you sleep? :sleep:

Why not include TOUCH ID?
    I can live with just FACEID. But, adding Touch ID to the system is warmly welcomed.

raypin likes this.
  20. SE20

I’ve been so used to Face ID that, just now opening my iPad, I was staring at the Touch ID fingerprint icon for several seconds, wondering why my iPad wasn’t taking me to the home screen. :)

potpot2, Qin Zhi and raypin like this.