What do you prefer, face id, touch id, or both?

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by potpot2, Dec 11, 2017.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

me, i prefer to have both, but if i cant have both, id rather have touch id.
    I dont have an iPhone x, am currently using the 8 plus, but from reading up on other people’s face id experience, i came up with my own conclusion, that touch id at the moment is the better choice. Specially with the flawless experience i am having with the 8 plus’ touch id.
    Maybe when face id improves with later iterations, then i willl be willing to give up touch id for face id. Or maybe appe will in the future include them both in one device.

#1 potpot2, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Face ID all the way. In the next few updates, this will be perfect.

3. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I recommend that you try Face ID first personally before you make a conclusion as to whether it is better than Touch ID, instead of simply relying on other people's experience and similar anecdotal evidence.

I don't have an iPhone X myself and have likewise not had the chance (nor have I bothered) to try Face ID. Based on what I've read here and in other Apple users forums, Face ID technology is quite sophisticated and reliable given that some have claimed that they were able to manage to unlock their phones in poor lighting, while wearing glasses (even sunglasses), while wearing make-up (even a zombie make-up), etc. And many still have claimed that using Face ID is such a seamless experience that they practically forget that it's there--they just lie the phone and it unlocks instantly. Of course, as I am citing anecdotal evidence myself and have not tried it personally, you definitely need not take my word on Face ID.

However, one thing I'm definitely sure of is that my experience with Touch ID is definitely not as flawless as, perhaps, yours. I own and regularly use a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, an iPad mini 3 and an iPhone SE--all of which have Touch ID--and I'm pretty sure that nearly everyday I'd at least have one failed login attempt in one of those devices using Touch ID. Most of the time it's because my hand is moist, and occasionally, there's perhaps some dirt, oil or moisture on the surface of the Touch ID button. Now that it's winter here in China, another thing annoying with Touch ID is that I have to remove my gloves to unlock my phone (which I presume would not be a problem with Face ID as I don't wear a mask or anything special on my face during winter time :p).

#3 Qin Zhi, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    raypin likes this.
  4. nwinter

nwinter Member

Face ID works surprisingly well and quite fast too. Even though I've been using Face ID for only a couple of weeks compared to Touch ID which I've been using since the iPhone 6, I actually prefer Face ID now over Touch ID.

5. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

FaceID for me especially that I have hyper hidrosis (excessive sweating of hands) which happens more often than not, making TouchID difficult to use.

In my case FaceID is more reliable, faster, and better than TouchID.

armerc and jayparalejas like this.
  6. Kleithxx

Kleithxx PhilMUG Addict Member

Both.

I have an iPhone X and FaceID on my phone works perfectly. Even when all our lights are off and im lying on my bed, it works smoothly. I have similar experience with TouchID na super dalang magfail kaya im choosing both.

I suggest na itry mo muna para you can see for yourself :)

7. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Face id. Ive always hated touch id because i have sweaty hands. 99% of the time it doesn’t work

8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

with the information we have in our phones (calendar, address, credit cards, naked photos, scandals) I will prefer a finger print sensor.

Then I realized, thanks to my phone's finger print sensor, all my device's password are super simple!

I'll go where the tech brings us (we have no choice anyway), I just hope Apple finds a way to save more faces in FaceID.

9. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

i like the face ID feature, and yes even in the dark, face it recognizes your face.

it would be cool to have both though.

10. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

I'm gonna answer on the assumption that both works 99.99% of the time. Yup nobody's perfect, not even our beloved Apple (also says a certain brand of soap that's certain to alert your conscience) :ROFLMAO:

My answer is purely based on how I actually use it in my day to day routine and not whether Touch/Face ID failed to recognise my (dirty) finger or (pogi) fez hehehe

Before owning the X, to be honest, i immediately shot down FaceID as soon as i heard/read about it because i said to myself "oh great now i’d have to look at my phone everytime i need to unlock it instead of TouchID where i can unlock it even before looking at it". I even managed to break down that thought... for example, a notification comes in. So I'll have to bring the phone up to my face (step 1), wait for my face to get recognized to unlock (step 2) then swipe up (step 3) to actually reach the home screen involves much more steps vs TID where i bring up my phone while my finger is already pressed on the home button and TID scans and unlocks (all of that just 1 step) so when i’m actually looking at my phone already it’s on the home screen na. Obviously TID is much better than FID right? So that was my main gripe BEFORE owning the X

But now i’ve been using te X for a couple of days i’ve come up with this workaround where I would bring the X up to my face at the same time tapping the screen (1 step, similar to putting my finger alteady on the home button at the same time as i bring it up), quickly swiping up from the bottom screen (step 2) so by the time i’m looking at my phone, FID is in “scanning” mode waiting to get my 3D mugshot to unlock and go to home screen (step 3)

Yup, still not the 1-step scenario with TID but if it works for me then i’m not really complaining at all. Besides, i’d still rather have to use FID than my iPhone to have an ugly dimple at the back or anywhere else just to have the TID feature, right? Of course the best case scenario would have been a fingerprint sensor embedded into the screen but hey, the iPhone XI is just less than a year away right? hehehe

When mounted on my car, I actually like FID better since I think it takes less time for my eyes to be off the road to look at the screen after i tap to wake than having to look at my phone (and therefore not on the road) to carefully aim my finger at the home button to unlock

So the next question we should be asking ourselves is what can Apple do to improve FID. Given that it’s their 1st try, there’s always room for improvement even Apple. So to answer that, i think a nice option to have is the ability to enable/disable the need to swipe up after FID unlocks. That would eliminate the extra step of swiping up and make things a bit faster

Whew! Long post!! Sorry, bed ridden and feeling under the weather so too much extra time on my hands right now

P.S. But I do believe that we all agree on something... that it'd be really awesome to have both (y)

potpot2 and Qin Zhi like this.
  11. potpot2

Yes having both will the ultimate thrill!
    You can have the best of both worlds.
    I use the tid without having to look at where to place my thumb since it has become source of an automated process.
    Anyway, my bias is from the negative comments i have been reading about fid.
    And the fact that since i started using the 8 plus, i havent experience any failed attempt.

12. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I would have preferred to have both: TouchID being the fallback option if FaceID somehow fails to work. But knowing Apple, they won't bring back Touch ID again. They've seen the future and it's your face... LOL!

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...future update in software: give the option to remove that extra and unnecessary step of swiping up to open. So, just lift, look and it opens to the home screen. That extra step has no useful purpose.

extremeshot likes this.
  14. potpot2

15. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

After having used my X for about a month now, I've gotten used to Face ID but I'm really wishing the Touch ID was also on the X. There are really times that looking into my phone to unlock is a bit of a hassle and the no-look-to-unlock with the Touch ID would still be the better option

potpot2 likes this.
  16. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Face ID all the way

17. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Fingerprint ID sometimes have hiccups/ not tried face ID but does the face ID users dont have hiccups with their experience? I will assumes sometimes and each has its use. So I go with both.

18. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

19. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

hoping apple on future ios updates that we can add face id just like fingerprint id.

jayparalejas likes this.
  20. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

me too! no more sweaty scans.

noticed that after 2 months off angle scans have been greatly improved