What computer / laptop do you use ?

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by jorizh09, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

Thanks for the info. Im sure that'll come in handy for the front end devs or someone here in the forum. I've used something like that when I'm still tinkering with coding before, but right now my focus is mainly design UI and UX/IX both for web and mobile apps :) Again Thanks for the info..

2. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

Ahh I see, I wish that they've already addressed the lag issue with the new chips or os updates. Oct 2013 models has Haswell chips right ? In my case, I may not be using parallels on the rMBP, but still, thanks for sharing your experience.

So I googled what the x240 looked like and I'm amazed.It says the longest battery life for a laptop with 20hrs ? amazing ! Laptops with the Longest Battery Life 2014 - Laptop Mag
    But hey, I'm still going a rMBP. haha

3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Just a curious question. Are you, in anyways, familiar with the terms WEBDEV1, WEBDEV2, WEBANIM, and the likes? :)

4. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

First thing that comes to my mind is subject titles back in college. :D Aside from that, I'm not familiar with it.. I'm a freshie so please go easy on me haha.

5. warmgreentea

Aha! I knew it! If you're from that gigantic silver building from vito cruz, then we're of the same feather. Welcome to Philmug btw. :)

6. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

Thank you. But No I think we're not the same feather haha.

7. warmgreentea

Oh I see, I assumed so because you said that the terms were familiar because of your college subject(?). But anyways, best of luck on your first mac!

8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I use a 2010 MBA for office use. Still running really well. & a 2013 MacBook Pro primarily for making some music.

9. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry if this is OT but didnt want to start another thread.

I'm planning to buy another laptop, still a toss up between the mba or rmbp. My main query is should i go ahead and buy it now and when Yosemite comes out update it or wait for the machines to hace yosemite already installed?

What would you guys do?

Thanks!

10. warmgreentea

Personally I'd wait. I have a feeling that there is a nice MBA lurking around there. But as usual, if you need one right now, any Apple laptop would do. :)

11. rowinms

rowinms Member

x240 for 20hr battery? thats like the laptop is switched ON, but idle. I don't buy that, WINDOWS OS hogs a lot of resources. now the latest mba can really stay up to 8hrs with work usage.

12. rimewire

rimewire Member

The website says that its test is "continuous Web surfing over Wi-Fi" and indeed they got 20 hours and 28 minutes.

13. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

I also think you should wait for the new mb's if you don't need a new machine badly like me. Rumor has it that they'll release a new retina Macbook Air / Pro which is likely to be released in September with Broadwell chips.

If the OS is your concern, You'll be getting the Yosemite no matter what, it is a free upgrade anyway. :) But I suggest that If you wanted the best experience on their new OS, better get a mb with retina screen, just coz the new system font Helvetica will have greater readability problems in non retina esp at small sizes. Just imagine reading words like "Milliliter" at 12px !. Treat your eyes right. get a retina display. :)

14. Secret

Secret New Member

X240 has legendary battery life. Oh, and it has 2 batteries two, and are swappable.

I'd say Windows is leaner. Mac is a known memory hog.

15. rowinms

rowinms Member

Uf you are using 15" screen, retina is good, otherwise prepare your pocket for future eyeglasses and eye check-ups. :)

16. rowinms

rowinms Member

Maybe, but using a genuine license apps in mac makes no issue of memmory and resource hogs. Though windows 7 is like winxp, it is still heavy, eats up battery. If mba has two batteries, can't inagine the number of hours it can stay up with work use.

I think for thinkpad x and T, buy a docking station, it helps a lot.

17. redballpen

redballpen Member

I agree with this. Currently using a 15-inch retina display. I used the 17-inch non-retina before this one, and I miss the little extra space. As a designer myself, I can't imagine doing my work on an even smaller screen. But you could always hook it up to a bigger display.

18. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

15 inch would be nice if it will be used at home and you're not bringing it around. It's just too bulky and heavy for my taste. So far, my new 13 inch rMBP works wonders for me, its just the right size for designers on the go. Connecting it to external monitor was a breeze too. I also don't have some software issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch works well and fast.

19. cygnus0613

cygnus0613 New Member

Im considering macbook pro for photoshop or corel..so I'd like to ask, is it the me865 or 866? Will the 865 be able to handle photoshop or corel with parallel smoothly?

#39 cygnus0613, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  20. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

From my experience with the ME865 it really does everything pretty fast in photoshop cc running side by side with illustrator, after effects and some web browsing altogether. However you will notice some screen hiccups especially when switching apps into fullscreen mode but its tolerable. This only happens when I'm not using an external monitor though.

Overall, Its really great for graphic design stuff, lets say you're drawing with a wacom and creating vectors. But if you're doing web and mobile stuff, you should get an external monitor along with it.