What car do you drive?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by weirdohenrico, Jul 31, 2008.

1. vtf

vtf Active Member

consider the new swift
    https://auto.suzuki.com.ph/products/swift

warmgreentea likes this.
  2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Thank you, sir Godfather! This will greatly influence her decision further. It's great to know that the new Brio averages 8km to a liter in real usage around Metro Manila, something that I can't get an exact answer from reviews these days. We're test driving the AT CVT version next week Friday, and she's pretty excited about it. We're 95% made up that this is going to be her purchase.

We recently visited a Toyota showroom just a few days ago to see what the Wigo offers, and she admits that her heart is still leaning towards the Brio. We also visited a Kia showroom for the Picanto, and I'm actually impressed by the feel of it! Lots of round edges inside and out, makes it feel like a youthful car- like a Mini. Personally, I like the Picanto better than the Wigo, but I'm sure resale value and gray market parts are a different story between the two. o_O

Godfather likes this.
  3. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

2015 Honda City owner here, never missed a PMS and never had problems, siguro other car brands din if you take of it, it will take care of you. If you don't like the Brio, I might go for the Swift din as 2nd choice :) Also join a FB group you'll see some posts about problems, features and accessories :)

4. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

^but take every opinion on FB groups with a grain of salt, read every single one of the comments on every post. most if the time, people who post are fanboys of their cars. saying that they get 15kms/L when its really not, nothing is really broken with the car, etc. really, some of the groups are very toxic. if you ask what are the commons problems of this or that car, they will say "all of the cars has its own sakit", "it all boils down to the owner", "i have my car for 5 years now and had no problems with it", "technical service bulletins are just suggestions", "what? you were able to break your car? our units didn't have a problem, maybe you, the driver, is the problem"

so read thru every comment, you'd see a pattern what common question/problem pops-up for a particular car.

vtf likes this.
  5. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd take a look at bank repossessed cars if I were to pay in cash. There's a lot of very low mileage cars that are available which are usually casa maintained and still have warranties.

Trick is to call the casa concerned and check the records and bring a good mechanic and an auto painter to check for previously damaged parts of the car.

Cars we've bought have had no issues and I've retained them until about 80-90k mileage. Just the usual suspension parts that comes with age.

Here's an example from Eastwest:

HONDA CITY 2019 1.5VX NAVI CVT A/T GAS RUBY RED 4,565 kms @ P680,000.00

Honda's website price for the same variant is P985,000.

But if you decide on going the brand new route, go to several dealers and ask for their best deals. They are owned by different companies and can offer a variety of freebies and discounts. And if you have a preferred dealer, ask them to price match the dealer that offered the lowest price.

And please...don't get the rustproofing service that's being offered by all casas...you don't need it.

Feel free to pm me if you have additional questions, I'd be glad to help you out...

#2385 Cmmig, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    mauwrr, Sunil_K, raze19 and 1 other person like this.
  6. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

isn't it also not advisable to pay a car in cash? some have said that if you pay a car in cash, BIR will be on to you. but that maybe an urban myth from the banks. HAHHA

Juice likes this.
  7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Never had a problem with that.
    Or, you could pay with a credit card, may rewards points pa!

The $$$ car brands, you know which ones they are, have a heavily-used machine - a bills counter. Imagine having to count 20 to 30 million in bills without it. ;)

yehey9 likes this.
  8. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

So far, all accountants I've talked to have told me to not get everything in cash, kahit konti lang, i-loan mo pa din, even 10%, because it decreases red flags. They said everything you purchase, a copy of the receipt gets sent to the BIR, and if your expenses don't match your "income", then you'd be in trouble. Of course, you can pay in cash without any worry if you're spending 2 million on a car, and your declared income is 20 million, doubt they'd have to worry about you not declaring properly.

I tried the credit card route, straight payment, ayaw pumayag nung dealer. He said, pwede, but they won't give the 25,000 cash discount. I get you, sayang yung points :ROFLMAO:

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

pwede na ba mag credit card? That sounds enticing, even without the discount. Card with purchase protection is the best for a purchase that size.

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Not a red flag actually but a notification of a purchase exceeding Php500,000 or more. The point is, correct, to determine if the expense matches your income, in the interest of anti-money laundering. It becomes a red flag if the purchase is paid wholly in cash exceeding Php1M or more and 1) it is an expense for personal property, and 2) it is either undervalued or overpriced hence, it can connote money laundering. But of course, a red flag is not a violation of law, merely it is a guide for the BIR and the AMLC to check your current gross income and computed taxable income to determine from where the money came from and where it is suppose to head to.

Rightly so, most car companies will ask you to pay the minimum price in cash and loan the remaining amount, or pay at a premium percentage and take out the loan at lesser installment schedules. That protects both the buyer and seller from having the BIR notified of “questionable transactions”.

bowman60, Jess and docjbr like this.
  11. docjbr

I heard of the HSBC Starbucks promo years back, true story daw talaga (maybe @jerichojanolo can tell us if it's true), that someone bought a car at Ford, using his HSCB card. Person asked the agent to charge multiple P 2,000.00 increments, guy got more than a year's worth of Starbucks drinks. True or urban legend?

12. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

as an accountant, i agree with what the others have told you - it is indeed better to loan a portion.

is it advisable to continue to have a PMS to the dealership after the warranty period or it is better to do PMS outside since it is cheaper? i have a trusted mechanic that maintains my older car.

Juice, bowman60 and docjbr like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...better casa. Does your trusted mechanic have the computer diagnostics thingie? Only exception is if the mechanic was a former mechanic technician from the brand’s dealership. Follow the PMS checklist of your car. There are major checks to be done in between run of the mill PMS.

14. aocaoc

aocaoc Member

I'm in the market for a crossover. Important points are cargo space, fuel efficiency, and long-term maintenance.

What is better, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav-4, or Mazda CX-5?

15. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

For cargo space, I think the latest CR-V gas variant has the biggest. I have the diesel variant with 3rd row seats and the cargo space is plenty enough when 3rd row seats are folded down. My daily drive from QC to Makati gives me at least 11kms/l. Maintenance I think will be more expensive given that fuel filter has to be replaced annually unlike with gas cars.

Based on reading and watching reviews of latest Rav4 and CX-5, the CX-5 is more bang for the buck since Rav4 here has less features. Then there's Yojin 3 of Mazda for that free 3 years PMS.

My vote still goes to CR-V diesel then CX-5 then CR-V gas. Last is Rav4.

#2395 marky2115, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  16. docjbr

Any muggers with advice on getting a used Prado?

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I favor slightly used vs. Bnew. Having the previous owner to pay the 20% first year depreciation warms the heart of my wallet. Go for it but make sure it is mint and no collision damage. Inspect and verify the casa records as well. 1 to 3 year old with below 20k mileage is acceptable to me. Google procedure for transfering ownership (carnapping etc.) specially if you are dealing directly with the owner.

18. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ But Prados and LCs have ridiculously high resale values, really just unbelievable.
    A 2009ish LC200 still commands 2.5M-3M~ in the used car market, well at least in online ads.

19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

This morning while waiting for my ride at Tim Horton’s Greenhills, I counted eight, yes 8, Subaru Foresters and its cousin, the XV, passing by me. And about 4 LCs, two Prados, a Chevy Suburban, and a partridge in a pear tree.

What’s with the love for the Subarus? They’re SUVs that run on petrol not diesel. They’re kind of lacking in leg room and carriage space. And they have funky colors ( that orange comes to mind). I actually want one (y)

20. docjbr

Will just shoot for the Prado version. My reason for getting one is just because of plate number ending, both cars end in 1. Still love our 7 year old Fortuner, no hassle, no worries in the past 7 years, was planning to let it go at the 8 year mark, but I'm kinda pushed into the corner at the moment, LOL.

A mechanic friend of mine also asked me to make sure it's original LHD. Apparently, lots of conversions around din.

Had one (Forester), and I loved it. Seated 5, but had to shift to the Grandia which seats 11, and we were at maximum capacity over the weekend :ROFLMAO:

hitme64 likes this.