What car do you drive?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by weirdohenrico, Jul 31, 2008.

1. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm now down to choosing between the Kia Carnival (7 or 11 seater) and the Toyota Grandia. Space wise, it's a given, Grandia will ultimately satisfy all that, but when I use it on days I'm by myself, it'll get pretty lonely, LOL. The Carnival definitely drives a lot less "van-like". I've never had a problem with Toyota, and I know the Grandia is used for harabas purposes. Will then have a Fortuner (the bodyguard vehicle) and possibly the Grandia (the UV Express vehicle), pang stereotype na yung magiging cars ko :ROFLMAO: Any feedback on the Carnival, and if it's the better option?

2. ramil

ramil Active Member

I also considered both models (and the Mazda CX-5) back in August/September 2017. I ended up getting the Subaru XV because it is a newer model, it has more features (sayang, it does not have Eyesight yet) and it is less expensive compared to the Subaru Forester. The additional space in the Forester was a plus, but there were just very few instances in the past when we needed the bigger space. So for everyday commute, I think the XV is more appropriate for us. I am very happy with my decision.

leninmac and jcsantamarina like this.
  3. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

BUT the Turbo Engine is the main reason to get the Forester TOTL over the P version.
    Otherwise, the TOTL XV will be better.

I was choosing between Forester and XV. Forester for the extra space. But I only need the extra space a couple of times a year, that's when another vehicle can be used. For my daily and weekend drives, wife + 2 kids, the XV has been more than enough. Good power to weight ratio and I get 12-14L/100km in the city. Lowest I got for highway driving was about 6.

ramil and leninmac like this.
  4. nivraarvin

nivraarvin Member

New XV for me. It looks better compared to Forester(non XT). It has better interior I guess.

A lot of "YouTubers" are lifting and slapping bigger wheels and all terrain tires to the new XV. =)

leninmac likes this.
  5. bugeye

bugeye Member

I got the carnival at the time when the price for the 11 seater was reasonable. If you choose the carnival, opt for the 7 seater because the last row of the 11 seater is really useless. If you use the last row, legroom of every row is compromised to give space for the last row.

6. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

Is Toyota Ph bringing CH-R here? (Just in case anyone knows)

leninmac likes this.
  7. docjbr

Supporter

Thanks for the tip! Kinda wondered if that 4th row really does work. Will have to figure out if we really need the space, but a 7-seater might not be enough, with my wife and I, driver, 3 kids, and yayas. That’s 9 right there already :ROFLMAO:

8. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

I ended up getting the Mazda 3 :)

[​IMG]

Sunil_K, rabby, bugs and 1 other person like this.
  9. docjbr

Supporter

@jcsantamaria and I chatted today, mentioned James Deakin's Nissan Urvan Premium. He gave a good reason to go for the Urvan, with the price difference between that and the Grandia, you can pimp your ride! Question though, has anybody tried the Urvan ,and is it a comfortable ride? We used a Grandia to trek to Baguio and Vigan, and for a filled up van, it had no problem going up Baguio, and overtaking on the highway heading to Vigan. Wonder if the Nissan is like that, too.

10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Nice! Machine Grey? Join the Mazda 3 Skyactive club!

alikishi likes this.
  11. a9828

a9828 Member

I've tried the Urvan (mid range, not basic) during that land trip to/from Coron city proper to the port for the island safari (Calauit Island, around 1.5hr). I was seated just behind the driver so basically, one of the better seats. Given Coron's cemented roads, my Fitbit was actually registering steps during the ride (haha). Though my left hand was rested on the window so that probably added to the shaking. Aircon was very strong, it's a Nissan, anyway. Flat ride all the way with minimum inclines so I really couldn't observe power, given it was a full van.

12. nivraarvin

nivraarvin Member

Hatch? Looks really good!

alikishi likes this.
  13. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Grandia is my Dream Van... hehe...

14. docjbr

Supporter

Thanks for the tip, pare! The aircon is definitely legendary. Maybe I should take a lot of UV Express trips to get an idea, LOL. But the way James Deakin presented it, nothing wrong not getting the TOTL, just use that money to pimp it out for extra comfort, maybe leather seats and a great entertainment system.

Looks wise, it looks great! We own a Fort, too, Toyota’s are definitely reliable. Price difference lang talaga, but wondering lang about performance difference between the two.

#2254 docjbr, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  15. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

@docjbr - my family has been using the Toyota Hi-Ace ever since it was available. In the middle, we cheated on in with the Mitsubishi L300 but that didnt pan out. If i remember we sold it within the year we got it and back to Toyota. Fam is very happy with it.

But before that, we had the VW camper and we loved that tin can to death. When i see a photo of it, i remember my childhood trips. Nostalgia :)

16. docjbr

Supporter

Grandia is definitely top of the list, the Toyota brand is very reliable. Cost wise, will compare with the Nissan Urvan how far apart they are. Seems like when I view it by the price point, we'll get either a stock Grandia or a pimped out Nissan Urban Premium. Will have to ride both first, and see how it feels, though most people I've talked to, they said riding in the back is pretty much the same van experience.

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^i feel sorry for whoever rides at the back of those vans... you will definitely need to meet a chiropractor for an adjustment :/

18. docjbr

Supporter

Well, the Nissan Urvan Premium is now out of the question since it won't fit in our parking, way too tall, like a foot above the ceiling limit, LOL. I've been scouring the page of Atoy's, too, saw a lot of customization going on, with bucket seats and all.

19. docjbr

Supporter

I bought a Fortuner in 2013, and a Forester in 2015, pretty much the same price. Will now sell the Forester since we have a growing family, I realized that the fair market value of our "mas latest" na Forester is much lower than the older Fortuner. Iba talaga resale value ng Toyota, though that's not one of my considerations when buying a car. Just a realization :ROFLMAO:

20. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Folks. Any new Subaru XV owners here. I was told that the XV released last month already comes with Eyesight. Just wondering how does it perform in traffic conditions. TIA.