What are your latest gadgets?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by loko__loko, Nov 8, 2008.

1. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

2. jologs

jologs Active Member

I was considering to get a magic trackpad to go along with the magic keyboard I just got. I guess, I'll just stick with my logitech wireless mouse.

3. cyberathlete

cyberathlete PhilMUG Addict Member

Hey, please don't let my post dissuade you from getting a magic trackpad. Mine is the 1st gen one (powered by AA batteries), and I've been using it since 2010. I just started feeling pain on my wrist a few months ago, and it's probably due to old age, but back then, I absolutely loved using it with gestures. I even purchased a license of BetterTouch to add custom gestures.

4. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

PowerColor RX 570 Red Devil 4GB

[​IMG]

raypin and Theus like this.
  5. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Just got a slightly used Roku Streaming Stick Plus and an Apple TV 4th Gen. Planning my next binge-watching sessions now. LOL!

raypin and TOBACCO like this.
  6. mauwrr

mauwrr Active Member

Haul from 11.11 and Black Friday:

Baseus 10W quick wireless charger
    Jabra Halo Smart wireless Bluetooth Headphone
    Momax Fast 10W wireless charger
    Roku Ultra 2018

Happy kid here.

7. raze19

raze19 Active Member

Electronics from the thanks giving weekend.

Apple watch Series 3 42mm
    Samsung wireless fast wireless charger EP-PG950
    Fiio BTR1K

Theus likes this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

1C892122-D686-442E-8399-2A15D853387C.jpeg
    This Spork is a handy gadget for those times you dread using table utensils in restos and food outlets and beats out disposables all the time. It also fits in your wallet. A big wallet, really.

9. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Looks like I know who you got that item from. Been eyeing some of his new shipments as well!

hitme64 likes this.
  10. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

i like this but dunno where to get it! :eek:

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sunil_K likes this.
  12. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Insta 360 One X.

291DF70C-2E50-4DCB-87C2-9873BC4A3229.jpeg 5A135C46-B079-4432-BA94-94AD9FA81DB6.jpeg

Juice and ramil like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....black friday from Amazon International. Delivered today via Amazon Global/UPS, 5 days ahead of promised delivery:

Robot vacuum (50% off)....it came in a Deebot N79S box nested in another box and nested in a plain Amazon box. Jeez....lots of unnecessary and wasteful packaging. If Amazon reduced from 3 to 2 boxes multiplied by the hundreds of millions of large packages that they send out every year, that is a lot of trees saved. Can‘t wait for future 3D printing. Products are 3D printed. No shipping and no packaging needed.

2D640AAE-97EE-4F7C-8176-20E7F2799868.jpeg

#6773 raypin, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Juice, mauwrr, raze19 and 1 other person like this.
  14. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

redundant boxes probably protect your actual product packaging. I got shipments kahit local lang product box dented so you won't know how it was shipped. They probably want you to receive your product as pristine as possible. Just my thought

15. raypin

Ot: Mm.... the cartons they used are U.S.-standard rigid, thick cartons and able to withstand reasonable rough handling as opposed to local carton packaging which are flimsy. The innermost packaging (from the manufacturer) is strong enough. I understand why they did it but in my view, overkill lang kyah.

Lazada PH packaging is....ha ha ha....parang hindi professional pagkagawa but overprotected din yung goods. I actually feel guilty ordering small stuff from Lazada. The other day? A pair of CR 123 A batteries I could not find at Ace Hardware. Delivered by Lazada. Today, it was Chinese black vinegar. Delivered by Lazada. I mean, I can just imagine the carbon emissions to separately deliver two small, cheap goods. Since Lazada operates a hub-type of business like Fedex, they could easily offer what freight forwarders do: shipment consolidation. But the reason they are not doing that is lost revenues from the shipping cost that they charge on-line shoppers. My thinking is offer shipment consolidation, at the option of their customers and still charge the same as they charge for separate shipment. Call it consolidation or handling charge. Better for everyone, less greenhouse gas, less guilty conscience for consumers.

#6775 raypin, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  16. raypin

Mm...the Deebot robot vacuum works as advertised. I could not believe the amount of crap it was able to pick up last night, even though my kasambahay cleans the house (sweep, vacuum, dust, mop) once or twice a week.

I tested its remote ops today. Made the room robot-safe (removed obstacles, furled the edges of the area rug because the robot does not do medium pile carpet or area rugs etc.) before I left and I activated it via my iPhone as the unit is connected to my wifi (I was 80 kms. away) and viewed it live via the room’s cctv.

Further thoughts:

1. I spent 30 minutes watching and trying to figure out how the tech works. Here is what I figured : The movement seems random in auto mode. It covered the same area over and over again but its fuzzy logic will eventually cover every nook and cranny of the room(s). It was like watching a drunkard trying to get home. The difference? The robot is relentless and tireless. It will get to the areas you want cleaned. The sensors used are proximity (able to detect walls) and touch (like a bump car). Is it efficient? No. A human will clean more efficiently. You work the room from the edges to the other edges, from one part of the room to the other, from left to right. Logical. But where the robot trumps human is brutal effectiveness. We get tired. The robot does not. It can clean over and over and over again until there no dirt left. After it was done, it docked itself for recharging, ready to do its job at my command. Beautiful.

2. Why am I paying good money to my kasambahay when a one-time expense robot can do the job much better? No sick days. No complaints. No 13 th month. No SSS/ Pagibig. It doesn’t talk back. If I fire her, I figure I can save enough money to buy a new MacBook every year. Which leads me to thought no. 3.

3. I have been reading about UBI or Universal Basic Income the past few years. Because of the trend to replace humans with robots, where will jobs be for humans? As the trend accelerates towards automation/AI/robotics , unemployment will also rise, creating massive social problems for society. Thus the idea of paying a universal basic income for each citizen. When I read about it, I just could not relate on a personal level. When billionaires like Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk started the conversion on UBI and automation, I thought, of course they advocate UBI. They are billionaires and can afford such talk. The basic problem with UBI is how does it get funded? Countries like Finland have started UBIs on a trial basis. After last night, I changed my mind. UBIs are inevitable. There is no alternative. It is not just manufacturing that will be affected but other fields like healthcare, the BPO industry and the legal profession. White collar and blue collar jobs are at stake.

4. Nope, I slapped myself this morning. I am not going to fire her. Good, reliable, trustworthy kasambahays are so hard to find (thanks to the 4Ps/ conditional cash transfer of the government).

I nearly plugged the charging dock direct to 220 volts. I looked at the power ratings and I misread it as 110 to 220 volts (or autovolt). It was 110 to 120 volts. Good that I re-checked. Stupid, aging eyes.

#6776 raypin, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    seahaven, porkypork, Theus and 5 others like this.
  17. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Xiaomi M365 e-scoot. Tomorrow I'll try to board it in the LRT.

Also eyeing the Xiaomi robo-vacuum.

SE20 and Sunil_K like this.
  18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

mi robot vacuum reviews are nice! higher rating cocmpared to roomba...

19. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

If I ever get one of these, I'll dress it up with hair rollers on top.

raypin likes this.
  20. raypin

Mm...lol! I m thinking of printing a vinyl sticker with Trump’s face on it so I can brag to my friends that the President of the United States vacuums my floor. :p

So far so good. It is working perfectly. In fact, it is so smart and industrious that after cleaning my house today, it opened the garage door, went to my neighbor’s house and started vacuuming...and got paid.

#6780 raypin, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    porkypork, zagu, jbfirefly and 2 others like this.