Wedding Videographers (?)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by energizer_jc, Jan 6, 2012.

1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Best Wedding Video Ever

excellent video. the extra attention to detail is very evident. kudos to him & his team. as a musician & music producer however, I just hope Bob is paying for the music that he uses for his videos; hats off to him if he does or those are his originals (which I doubt). If not..well, I hope his clients realize that the success of his videos is somewhat related to the music that he uses since it helps set the mood, & they should insist that part of whatever theyre paying him should also go to those who made the music. :) I checked his other videos, kahit credits on the music man lang wala... hmmm. & I heard some tracks from Phoenix, Postal Service, Imagine Dragons that did not merit attribution from Bob's team.. why???.... sorry to be a party pooper but if youre charging thousands of pesos for work that is partly done by others, I think it's only fair that some of that goes to whoever made your work more ahem.. expensive....

#41 greta87, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Some parts felt off... like the sports scene. Too visual, not enough story telling about the couple.

3. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

I think you've never watched so many wedding videos if this is the best for you :)

No offense meant bro and I don't have anything against the couple but this only went viral and became (sort of) special because the couple is a celebrity. I've seen lots and lots of wedding videos and this is just one of the 'normal' ones.

Check out vids of Jason Magbanua, MG Digital, Phoeben Teocson and Daniel Lei Studios - I'm sure you'll be more wowed :cool:

4. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

I don't know about Bob but maybe they're the same with Jason. Jason licenses his music and it's already included in his rate.

5. minggoy

minggoy Active Member

galing ng glider nila

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sana pakasal uli ako para me ganyang video ako ;)

7. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Mmm, I will watch this video after my deadlines he he. But for me, Jason Magbanaua's Mara and Elo's wedding video is still the best.

#47 panis, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

i heard on an interview that jason magbanua pays license for the songs he uses so i expect bob do pay as well. magbanua was asked who he considered as top videographer in the ph, he mentioned bob nicholas and mayad.

9. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

Bob Nicholas and Mayad are one of my favorite videographers. When i got married, i can't afford them though. So i look for someone who also idolizes them and had worked with Jason Magbanua as well. So Marvin Barbarona it is! :)

10. greta87

I doubt that he's paying for those. I checked the end credits of his video... There was none. Licensed musical works should at least appear in the end credits; just like in Hollywood feature films... Plus, in his Vimeo web site, dapat may liner notes sya doon on the music he used for the videos... Wala din... Rare is the artist who will forego attribution, whether the work was for a fee or free.. so I guess they are simply blissfully unaware that their works are being 'pirated'/ infringed upon... In fact, Vimeo shouldn't even be allowing such postings..... Oh well.

11. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

I think it's best to ask the man himself instead of passing judgement here. Jason likes licensing at The Music Bed. At one workshop, he even said he'd like to license music from local Filipino musicians but dealing with labels is a pain. He wished for something like a Filipino version of TMB.

On topic though, I've seen other better wedding videos from Bob, Jason, and Mayad than this in my opinion. The only special sauce I think from this one is because it involves a celebrity. From what I've heard from wedding workshops I've been to, when a photographer or videographer shoots for a TV celebrity, they rarely get any compensation as the publicity they get from shooting the celebrity is what pays for it.

12. greta87

Best Wedding Video Ever

^ sorry for the misunderstanding but I was referring to Bob's work not Jason's. & Besides, I can't help but pass judgment here since the thread says, Best Wedding Video Ever, I guess when somebody makes such a declaration, you open the video & its creator up to scrutiny , right? In any case, I've made my point & I will carry on.

& speaking of the Music Bed, we have similar outfits here, we call them aggregators, groups like NDFY & Nu Spark as opposed to the traditional music label. Smart's SPNNR is somewhat similar but with a very limited scope (only with respect to streaming services.) I noticed that Music Bed has mostly lesser known indie artists in its stable & nothing like Phoenix or Postal Service, whose music Bob uses.....

13. ryanfelipe

ryanfelipe Member

Certainly not. Eye candy yes. Can't even connect the sports shots, ok just a little I guess. Beautiful people, beautiful place, celebrity couple, awesome gadgets, if your output is still a meh, di ko na lang alam. I'm fan of Bob's work but this is far from their best.

14. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Great video...

The things you can do with beautiful people?

Any word followed by the word video.

Haha.

15. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

He's a humble man, what can you expect.
    Try asking Bob and Mayad who they think is the top videog in the industry, and you'll get an answer back.

You're not a top videog if you need to be book at least a year before the wedding and your rate is not less than 120k :)

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

if an amateur like me pays for music license for my personal vacation videos, what excuse do "professional creatives" have?

while i appreciate the creative and technical aspects of "film making", i personally don't like wedding videos. i wouldn't want to pay someone to get in the way of my moment so they can get their money shot, so i can project something to the world whose view of me, the bride, our relationship and our wedding i couldn't care less about. :D besides, if i want a suicide video, i'd shoot myself with a gopro. ;)

but hey, different strokes for different folks. in this world of selfies, wedding videographers can make a comfortable living making a killing. ;)

the hyperbolic "best wedding video ever" thread has been merged with an existing, more objectively entitled thread.

anyone care to start the "worst thread titles ever" thread? ;)

irony is the best police ever. :D

#56 rbenzon, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  17. MG

MG Member

Guys, We created a new photo and video group who cater only to weekday wedding (february to november)

Limacon Still + Motion

Lito Sy
    Nelwin Uy
    Jervy Santiago
    Bob Nicolas
    Mervin Gobaco (MG)

Here is our SDE last thursday

https://vimeo.com/110101473

18. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

Great video MG! :) May I ask what camera you guys used for the slow motion shots (rings bouncing) ?

19. greta87

Hi MG, congrats on your new business. I hope you guys also find time to back read this thread a bit so you can see some comments, including mine, on the use of licensed music in commercial wedding videos. I noticed your video never made any reference to the artist/label/track titles for the music that you used through out the video.

20. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

i've worked alongside bob's nicolas' team in weddings and from what i've observed, they use sony fs700 paired with canon lenses for slow motion shots.