Web page editor/creator for Mac

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by retinasurgeon, Jul 28, 2005.

1. retinasurgeon

retinasurgeon Member

Hi guys, just wanna ask if any of you know a good web page editor/creator for Mac that is compatible with webpages created from Microsoft Frontpage, which is also not as difficult or complicated to use? Or do you know the Apple Stores here is selling Frontpage for Mac.

2. XyNo

XyNo Member

I had the problem back then when I was still using a peecee on how would websites look like when done with a mac, so far Macromedia Dreamweaver has never let me down. You can download a trial version off their website. It is prolly the best bet for HTML authoring.

I have used Frontpage before (6 years back), but when I switched to Dreamwaver, you may find Frontpage a bit inferior. But if you don't have time to get familiar with Dreamweaver, you can prolly ask for longbeard if he can get you a copy of the Frontpage for Mac at the Apple Store HK coz I think I saw one there.

3. jps444

jps444 Active Member

xyno is right you can use dreamweaver in mac. the whole macromedia mx package is available in mac. so you can also make your own flash based website in your mac system. you can look for html creator also i versiontracker.com for mac osx.

4. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

check out rapidweaver, also available at versiontracker

i use it to make quick sites. it has built in themes and you can
    also do drag and drop to a WYSIWYG type interface. not perfect
    i might add, but gets the job done pretty well.

i use dreamweaver for more intensive development.

5. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

You'll run into problems migrating a frontpage site to dreamweaver. Especially if you used some of its advanced features like rollovers. Frontpage although easy to use, writes a lot of "dirty" code. That is a lot of code that although works (and only guaranteed to work with IE on the PC), is unnecessary and only adds to the file size. You may notice that your webpage doesn't load as fast.

Is there a Frontpage for Mac? To my knowledge, there has never been an MS Frontpage for Mac. I highly doubt Microsoft has ever made one.

I think you maybe better off starting from scratch again in Dreamweaver rather than trying to work with an existing frontpage site.

EDIT: Apparently there was a MS Frontpage for the mac a long time ago. Back during System 7.5 :winkgrin:

[Edited on 7-28-2005 by Kenneth]

6. retinasurgeon

retinasurgeon Member

Arrgh!! Anyways, no harm in learning a new program. I saw somewhere that there was Frontpage 1.0 for OS 9.

I think I have to redo our clinic website from scratch, got to find more time for that during my breaks. I have noticed that Frontpage created websites look ok with IE, but have some peculiarities with Safari or Firefox.

How much is Dreamweaver anyway?

7. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

I believe there's still a 30 day trial download available at Macromedia's website. So if your needs are only within that time period...

8. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

you are better off leaving frontpage behind and start working on programs that actually use accepted web standards like golive and dreamweaver. ditto on kenneth's comment on frontpage making bloated, useless code.

9. jasondv

jasondv Member

You could also try NVU:
    Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver.
    Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.

A Linux using friend pointed it out to me and I've been using it for the last six months or so. Maybe not as full-featured as commercial programs like FrontPage or Dreamweaver, but it's a very good app for its price (which is FREE!). Spits out web pages that are much, much "cleaner" than FrontPage, in my experience.

[Edited on 7-28-2005 by jasondv]