Weather Watch

Discussion in 'General OT' started by teamjm, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jushjush

jushjush Member

Even if work is suspended or not, it is wise to use your best judgement especially in this kind of weather imo. Would you really risk your health and safety for a paycheck? I have decided not to go to work this morning even if it would cost me an infraction because the storm is just so bad and I had a hard time getting home last night.

Stay safe folks.

2. LeoMarley

LeoMarley Active Member

our company just now allowed their employees to go home and did not adhere earlier to PNoy announcement of suspension of work and what they did to those of us who did not come to work was they're gonna slash 1 day to our leaves. is this legal?

3. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the operative word there is "requested". A request can always be declined and given the circumstances, she has a good reason to do so.

I feel that that's just so wrong in so many levels.

1) There was already a declaration by Malacanang that even private companies are included and for good reason. It's like a forced holiday then, given the situation.
    2) IT IS really unsafe to travel at this point, even if you drive the biggest SUV much less the employees that need to commute
    3) Your company already sent their employees home so they acknowledged these facts and I assume that the people that made it to work has not completed their 8hrs yet given the challenges they had to go thru to get to work so why deduct 1 day of VL for the people that didn't make it.

That's just a lousy and silly call by your HR. The least they could have done is compensate the employees that made it to work today by giving them some sort of reimbursement or allowance for the day and NOT touch the employees that didn't go to work.

Is this legal? I'm no lawyer but I bet they have some answering to do in one way or another by putting their employees at risk (even the ones they are sending home now... duh..) and even worse, will penalize those that didn't risk it. Sure, business is business but the safety of the people should ALWAYS supersede the business.

4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Here's the malacanan statement. Apparently it qualified the work suspension

'
    Statement of Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda:
    On the suspension of work in government and private offices

[August 7, 2012]

Last night and today, in the interest of public safety, Memorandum Circular No. 33 and 33-A were issued, suspending work in the public and private sectors as well as college in NCR and surrounding provinces. For government, essential personnel involved in search and rescue and relief, public health, and safety are required to remain on duty. For the private sector, if your employer requires you to go to work, they must be able: (1) to ensure and be responsible for your safety; and (2) to give premium pay. In both instances, subject to existing labor standards: this covers all firms, including BPO and call centers. This MC 33-A only applies to today, August 7, 2012.

The President has been intensively overseeing operations since this emergency began a few days ago, ensuring that predeployment of rescue and relief takes place and that government agencies are proactively serving the people. The President ensured the refinement of weather and other alerts to make them more clear and accessible to the public. Today, he presided over the NDRRMC meeting in Camp Aguinaldo, and he continues to ensure resources are efficiently allocated to ensure maximum relief and assistance to our fellow countrymen.

We thank the media and civil society for their coming together to work with government to ensure all relevant information is immediately cascaded across all channels, traditional and new, to ensure our countrymen receive timely, useful, accurate information.

The authorities on the national and local levels are working together to assist affected communities. PAGASA is issuing regular updates, as is the NDRRMC. Please help us get information out by monitoring official channels and sharing information with friends, coworkers, and family.

Times like these call for the highest levels of compassion and cooperation. As a people, we have always risen to the challenge; we are doing so, again. We commend all those working through the day and night to do search and rescue, rehabilitation and relief, monitoring and alerting.

This entry was posted in Briefing Room, Office of the Presidential Spokesperson. Bookmark the permalink.'

#64 greta87, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  5. mnx

mnx Active Member

that would depend on your company's policy on VL and/or any existing CBA between your company and the employee's union...

it would also depend on your pay scheme... if the employees of your company have their salaries computed on a daily basis, then today is "no work - no pay"... your company's HR may be doing you a good deed then by taking it off your VL rather than taking away cash...

the announcement simply stated that work is suspended and that companies who require their employees to work must provide extra compensation equivalent to a special non-working day rate of 30% of basic pay... it did not make the day a regular holiday which would require the company to give holiday pay... i would assume that the employees were allowed to go home after management had received the information on the declaration of suspension of work... it is unlikely they will be held liable for not suspending work prior to receipt of the declaration...

-----

if you can prove that you are rank-and-file AND that your pay is based on a monthly computation system AND the company's VL policy and/or an existing and valid CBA disallows the reduction of VLs, THEN you MAY have cause to bring a case to the NLRC...

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Unofficial reports say this has dumped more water than Ondoy. I think the difference is this had time off.

7. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not sure about the legal part (suspension, penalties, etc), but they just announced that BPO's aren't included in the Malacañang memo, leaving it up to the private companies to decide, with 2 conditions: 1. provide safe trip home, 2. allot the required overtime/extra pay (Heard on DZMM/ANC)

8. b2r1y

b2r1y Member

My gf's office - JP Morgan Chase has suspended work today til 9AM tomorrow.

9. C9

C9 Active Member

This is sea surface temp, not precipitation or wind. Neither is it fire and brimstone.

10. peter61376

peter61376 Member

Amidst the intense rain, I saw someone biking at white plains edsa bound. Lakas ng loob.

11. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

At one point in time (posting time Aug 7 2012 10:23 am local), there were 7 weather disturbances across the globe. 4 in the Pacific and 3 in the Atlantic. Luckily, it has improved in the past few hours with only 6 disturbances left(as updated from the site I posted). In my opinion, that is unusual.

Just hope for the best.

12. LeoMarley

LeoMarley Active Member

we are payed on a monthly computation except for those that came from the agency. those who came to work were allowed to go home HOURS after the announcement. i also cannot check on the CBA because there is no existing union in our company. Also, i'm an officer level in our company which means i don't have OT pay. are they required to pay me 30% of basic pay? i'm thinking no.

13. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

what the heck, UERM is flooded again!

14. joszef

joszef Member

15. mnx

mnx Active Member

If you are not rank-and-file, certain provisions in the labor code don't apply to you and most CBAs don't cover officers.

16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

For the second day in a row, we've told all our staff not to come to work in our offices. Although weather today seems to be better than yesterday, we don't want to put our people through wading through flooded areas. Besides, most of our customers and suppliers have done the same.

17. supahdende

supahdende Well-Known Member

Flood here in Maybunga, Pasig not subsiding. Around knee to at most chest deep around Rainforest and Floodway...

18. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

i think Pag asa did a good job forecasting the rains and with the code warning of red/green/yellow.

19. iCaduceus

iCaduceus Active Member

Agree, seems people this time is more prepared though most Filipinos don't want to leave their belongings on fear that somebody might ransack them.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

My cousin informed me that Marikina Riverbanks complex did not flood this time. He credited the opening of the Manggahan flood gates early Monday. Yes, the local government is better prepared. There is still much room for improvement but it is a step in the right direction.