Warning: iMac 17" LCD single vertical line issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by booblanco, Feb 19, 2008.

1. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

this is good news! hopefully something comes out of it.

2. LadyMary

LadyMary New Member

Hi Everyone.

What should I do with my Imac 17 in and the checkered lines.....help

If my logic board is fried, will it still work if I connect a monitor? Should I just bring it to the apple store

3. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

hi guys! fixed my problem. Super thanks to digital machines @ greenhills. Its an lcd problem. I asked how this problem happens but they have no idea. Having this kind of problem pushed me on buying an apple care:)

4. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

did you replace the lcd? the issue resurfaced with users at applediscussions two weeks to a month after having their lcds replaced.

i hope your problem has been fixed once and for all.

5. tyler durden

tyler durden Member

how did they fix it and how much did you pay for it? hope you could share your story. thanks!

6. tatin23@

tatin23@ Member

do you have the contact number of digital machine? TIA.

7. alyxayn

alyxayn Guest

I'm having a similar problem but with a macbook.

8. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

i've read that it's not the lcd but an inverter board issue. try to replace the inverter right away before it causes more damage to the lcd.

9. test8052

test8052 Member

any updates on this guys? Does it really help when the LCD is replaced/repaired? I don't want my brother to have him repaired his iMac then after 1 or 2 months the problem would go back.

Any suggestions please... :confused:

10. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

just had my LCD replaced care of mark_17. it works!

of course, i have no idea whether the problem would reoccur...

11. twonavels

twonavels Member

How much will repair/replacement of the LCD cost if you don't have applecare? Thanks!

12. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

if you have it done at an authorized center, it can cost you around 30k. they will actually recommend that you just get a new one.

but if you can find a unit that has a defective logic board, just buy that and get the lcd. labor will cost you around 1.5k sa authorized center. or just source one from mark_17, which is what i did.

(mark_17, endorsement ko na yan sa 'yo!)

13. cubee

cubee Member

@mark_17... i have an iMac 20" and also have that checkered thing all over the page i'm viewing but when i click on it, it goes away... i have an applecare... who should i call? where should i bring it? my serial number starts with W8...TIA

14. twonavels

twonavels Member

In this setup, with the imac's monitor still display something or will it turn off?

15. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

it still displays something. i've set the displays to mirroring. if anyone knows a way to turn off the iMac's display, do tell. setting the iMac's brightness to minimum doesn't turn off the display the way it does on the 'books.

16. twonavels

twonavels Member

Have you tried Control+Shift+Eject ? That turns off my iMac's display but I'm not sure if the attached monitor will still display something.

17. loungeroomlizard

This very same thing happened to me just an hour ago..i was not aware of this iMac 17" issue but the minute i saw the freak line, i already knew it was a major bad. Of course my first reaction (second to almost having a stroke upon seeing this nasty line) was to go on philmug to ask for help.

So when i went to The Big Macs forum, tamang tama first thing i saw was Warning: iMac 17" LCD single vertical line issue then i just froze, realizing that it is not all that bad, this is very very bad.

Read all pages of this thread and looks like this line will forever. It hurts to see the line and know that it would just be a matter of time another one will appear. One reply says it started with one until its almost covering half of the lcd. THIS IS CANCER!!! :mad:

And so this is the end of an era of my iMac 17" which i bought in Feb 2007. Its been the sweetest 2 years and 4 of my life with a computer or with anyone and anything for that matter.
    My 17" was and will always be my first love. It bore an iMac Aluminum, a black macbook and a second hand Powerbook G4. I just hope and pray that this issue won't happen to the three.

Have been craving pa naman to get my hands on the latest macbook but i'm so dismayed with this damage, i lost my apple apetite.

For sure though, because i've accepted the loss, my apple mania will recur in a matter of days and will again crave even more for that new macbook. And this time, i;m a gonna get myself an APPLE CARE!!

I wonder how your 17" is now, booblanco? Maybe someone out there already has good news for us? Anyone? Please? :confused: I will be signing the petitions for Apple to acknowledge this issue and will soon check out the class action suit filed against them.

18. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

just tried it but it also turns off the external display. no go, but thanks.

sorry to hear about your iMac. you may already start looking around for a nice external display. my iMac's display is half completely black, the other half strewn with vertical lines in different colors.

19. twonavels

twonavels Member

And my mom said, "Akala ko ba ok ang apple? Bakit nasisira pala ng ganyan?"

Applecare isn't cheap, add that on top of the price ng pagbili ng apple computer, mahal din. Anyway, I got applecare na for my mba.

20. twonavels

twonavels Member

Me again. Another line showed up in my imac today. At graphic-intensive moments in World of Warcraft, my computer locks up. Best case scenario, only Warcraft hangs and I can relaunch again. But for Apple, that's not good enough, right? Scanning with techtool reveals a problem with the graphics card. Googling, I discovered iMacs are merely Macbooks with a different display. Graphics card is built in on the motherboard: no option for upgrade in that department. So I'm never getting an imac ever again.

So the next time I'm going to buy an apple computer, I'm going to include the APP in the computation and the tax before I gloat how Apple has become cheaper lately.

Meanwhile Mac Pro is the way to go when it comes to desktops talaga. I was looking at the specs and the expandability option, I totally blown away.