Warning: iMac 17" LCD single vertical line issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by booblanco, Feb 19, 2008.

1. neuraxial

neuraxial Member

Saw this when I did my search. I'm having the same exact problem with my 2nd hand iMac. No AppleCare. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have the LCD repaired? Mine's a 17" iMac G5 with iSight.

#41 neuraxial, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. jojo339

jojo339 Member

if ever u get the part already, i can install the part for u at a very affordable price ;-) heheh

3. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

when i asked powermac, they said it will cost around 30+k. since the cost is quite high, they recommend getting a 2nd hand or brand new unit instead.

if you can supply your own lcd, labor cost at powermac is 1.5k.

4. cmclim

cmclim Active Member

my cousin has the same problem with his 17"alPB..but its a horizontal line..and it disappears after a few minutes..

5. rojer.rm

rojer.rm Guest

Hello, everybody!

I also have the same problem 1-year after the warranty expired with my iMac 17". Now, there are four lines. The sad part is I haven't finished paying for the loan I used to buy this unit.

There is a website petitioning Apple Inc., to address the issue on "LCD display with vertical lines". Here's the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?maclines

Has anyone signed in? Thanks.

6. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

hey rojer.rm,

signed there a long time ago, but i don't think it'll do much, though.

7. normanlleses

normanlleses Member

weird thing with my imac..

a few days after reading this thread, one vertical line appeared.

now i have 2 lines already.. my imac is a year and 3 months old with no applecare :(

#47 normanlleses, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

unfortunately, norman, that's how it starts. :(

9. normanlleses

normanlleses Member

i guess i have to save up for an external monitor then.. :(

10. LadyMary

LadyMary New Member

Please pm me the affordable price :)

My Imac 17" started developing checkered lines, when i restart it sometimes the lines wont be there other times it will just hang. Will installing a new LCD solve the problem? or is my logic bored fried... Help! :eek:

11. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i have two powerbook g4 12" units with the same problem, checkered lines all over the screen during boot-up screen (apple logo with wheel at the bottom). i guess your imac's logicboard is starting to fail.

12. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

That's a logic board problem. Have a friend with a 20" ALS with a similar problem.

13. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

i have the same problem on my late 08 macbook. Good thing it's still under warranty. however, i cant bring it in to the apple service center yet... Planning my brother's wedding who is outside the Phil. Having this beside me is really important.. But i can see that it really worsens overtime. I started with a single straight line. Now, i have 4 lines to deal with.:( Since it's still under warranty, what if logic board is damaged? or the lcd? do i have to pay a price?? i'm pretty sure i cant get a replacement. didnt buy it from the stores... so..?

#53 hqvq_jen, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. sohcboy

sohcboy Member

i also have the same problem with my imac, good thing my applecare will expire on april. though i haven't bring it to micro warehouse because i don't have time yet to backup my files.

15. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

if it's still under warranty, they are obliged to fix it, either by replacing the busted component or, if you're lucky, replacing the whole unit. suggest you bring at asap.

16. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

lapit na april!

17. kattan

kattan Guest

A very well known problem with all iMacs manufactured in China.
    Check your serial, most probably it starts with W8.
    The first time I got this I was under Apple Care and they replaced the LCD for free. After just 2 weeks of Apple Care expiration date, I got a nice one inch white vertical line on screen. I went to Apple service and they asked for about $600 to replace the LCD !!!!:mad:
    Save your money, you can buy a mini-VGA to VGA adapter and the best 20" LCD monitor from LG or Samsung for much less than that (Around $200 at most).
    Then, you can "mirror" the display on the new external LCD.
    If you like to "extend" the display, you would need a special patch since Apple have disabled this feature on iMacs :slanted:. Get the patch from:
    http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

If you have the money, you can also get the LCD from eBay. Yet this is still no easy since you have to replace it yourself. If you are willing to take the risk, make sure that it matches the one you have. Why? Apple have used different components parts for the same line of iMacs. So even the same size, an older iMac G5 (non-iSight) will probably not work on an iSight iMac. The best way is to check the part# on the back of the LCD.

18. hqvq_jen

hqvq_jen Member

so is this a logicboard problem? or lcd? ... we'll know for sure... when i get my mac tested.. FINGERS CROSSED!!! i want a replacement badly:(

19. kattan

kattan Guest

I really don't know if it's a problem with the LCDs they used or the why the interface with the logic board! Those LCDs are really expensive. You can find new ones from component sellers that sale for $500 a piece (for a quantity).
    Regardless of what is causing it, I'm sure it is a design glitch from Apple. So many people have this very same problem with iMacs specially those manufactured in Shanghai-China (Factory W8).
    I paid lots of many to get my iMac. In fact, I could have purchased 2 new PCs for the price of one iMac. Yet, the screen which is the most important thing failed twice.
    I like Apple computers, but I really hate how arogant they are. They will never admit a design fault in such a case.

20. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

We just got our 17" iMac back last week from the shop due to a busted power supply. Then yesterday afternoon, two vertical lines appeared. :(

Sure enough, I checked the serial number and it begins with "W8".

I've read that someone in the US filed a class suit against Apple regarding this problem. Does anyone have an idea how long such cases take and if Apple loses, will they replace the problematic displays worldwide?

Here is the article from AppleInsider: Apple sued over defective iMac Displays