Warning: iMac 17" LCD single vertical line issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by booblanco, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

had this problem with our 1st gen iMac intel. luckily it manifested 2 weeks from purhcase (july 06), senco replaced the unit in 3 days. i hope iMac Als don't have this issue.

2. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

[​IMG]

Happened on the 13th month. No AppleCare. :(

Anyone with a cheaper solution than 30K? (aside from the 9,000 purchase of an external LCD Monitor?)

3. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

@ bagwis

that's exactly how my display looks now, but on the right side of the screen. that black and white area will disappear after about 15 minutes' use, but will reappear almost every time the iMac wakes from sleep.

4. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

@boo

I almost gave up on this Mac. First this, then days ago, it was having kernel panics here and there. Ynzal diagnosed it with a faulty logic board and damaged LCD.

I tried resetting the PRAM and tried to rule out Bad RAM for the hanging ang random restarting. Did the usual. Zapped the PRAM. Removed the memory from the slots and plugging them 1 by 1 with power ons in the middle. Guess what? It was indeed a case of a defective RAM Module. It is now running on straight for 2 days and so far, no hangs or random restarts. I replaced the defective 512MB stick with a 1gb RAM module and so it is now running on 1.5gb of memory. So far, so good. (fingers crossed) A day more of testing, afterwhich I'd be getting an LCD monitor if doesn't hang nor have random resets.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

its not just an apple issue. its an lcd issue. My 12 month old 22" AOC lcd displayed a solid vertical line (abut 3 pixels thick). Tried all sorts of remedies....

It is a manufacturing issue since LCDs are very difficult to manufacture. To keep prices down to affordable levels, manufacturers allow a small number of units with dead pixels to be sold in the market. Hopefully, with newer manufacturing techniques, this peculiar problem (which was never an issue with old technology CRTs) will go away

6. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

@bagwis,

Your screen issue was caused by bad RAM? Or was it only just for the issue with it getting stuck? Please confirm. Thx in advance.

7. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

Sorry if I misled you, ricpac. It was the kernel panics and the random restarts that was caused by the bad ram. You see, this was still usable with an external monitor until the kernel panics and the random restarts came.

BAd RAM had nothing to do with the LCD problem.

8. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

so your LCD still displays the vertical lines and graphics distortion?

9. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

Yes, boo. Same problem with the LCD, but no more problems with the kernel panics and the random restarts.

10. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

rather than plunk down P30T+ to replace my hosed iMac screen, I decided to get this nice 19" Vertu W9007s yesterday. i think it still goes well with my white setup but i now have to use the old iSight.

for ports and superdrive access, the iMac has been faced to the wall in the background. not bad for a P7.5T solution until the next system upgrade.

[​IMG]

#30 booblanco, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  11. bagwis

bagwis Active Member

That's really classy, Boo! May I ask you where you got it?

12. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

@bagwis

PM sent to you

13. mac_kid08

mac_kid08 New Member

sad thing is, my warranty just expired last month, august 11. i bought this unit in Asianic SM NEdsa. What should I do? there is a vertical white block in my display. How much is the LCD replacement if ever? I hate it, i was not able to purchase an apple care plan for this unit.

14. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

oh my, that is not good. i intend pa naman to get an iMac this christmas.. :(

15. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

hi boo, i'm one of the guys that started one of the threads on the discussion forums and i've done a lot of reading on the subject. my imac 17" g5 w/ isight developed its first line on its 14th or 15th month. unfortunately, i didn't have app. now my lcd is peppered with over 100 lines and a couple of thick black lines. not sure if the logic board is already affected, will have to test it by connecting an external monitor. (for the rest, one-pixel thick vertical lines point to problems with the lcd. thick white or black lines point to logic board problems. the only way to resolve it is to replace the defective items.)

anyways, how's the quality of the vertu monitor? how much and where'd you buy it?

16. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

i don't think that yours is a logic board problem. i've got thick black and white lines all over. in fact, 1/2 of my iMac's screen is hosed.

the vertu is matte great, i can't complain. buy yours at the PC shops along Aurora Blvd near PC Options. i don't remember the store or the price anymore, but it's lower than the branded ones.

you may also want to look at the HP monitors at the MSI-ECS sale.

17. brianmend

brianmend Member

^ That is a great alternative, it will be helpful for those whose imac's are also busted.

The LCD issue is all over the world, including the powerbook 17"
    The 1st gen aluminum imacs are going through another issue worldwide.

Now I'm scared to get a new mac because of this, when they are only relatively recent models.

18. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

what's the issue?

19. gidnitacs

gidnitacs Member

what's the input? dvi or just the standard monitor port?

20. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

VGA. i think the DVI and HDMI HP monitors on sale at MSI-ECS look like a good deal if you're not after the vertu's white casing.