Warning for those who will buy Apple products in Greenhills

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by omarsytan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. abcerase

abcerase Member

How can we verify if an mbp has already been opened/modified? I saw a 17" mbp i7 2.4ghz yesterday in one of the stalls in GH - at only 85k (enclosed in a box). I asked the seller why the very low price - he said it's because they get it "directly" from the supplier (I know it doesn't sound convincing at all)

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Sounds fishy. Don't get it.

Leo

3. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Better go to an authorized Apple reseller.

omarsytan likes this.
  4. buffy

buffy Member

it's always better to check the serial # to verify the history of the item.

5. Gesh

Gesh Member

If its too good to be true, it probably is...

6. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    to add to this:

The peso you save today, will be less than what you pay for later.

I only buy a few things in G'Hills tiangge:

1. Cheap shirts/clothes to give to our school bus/carpool drivers, household help, and other pang-regalo. Sometimes, i get some for me, too, coz they're cool din naman. :rolleyes:

2. household items, furniture, etc.

3. thermal underclothes, baby clothes, etc.

NEVER electronic devices, especially not Apple products. Go to iStudio or Digital Walker in V-Mall instead to be sure.

7. hearken

hearken Member

Anyone know if I can find a 2nd gen apple tv in greenhills? Around the tiangges and whatnot.

8. alfa

alfa Member

This is so true and not only for apple products but for other electronic products as well like cellphones, PSPs, XBOxs etc. If you want to get from Greenhills get from a store with a permanent puwesto and not the floating stalls in the tinges so the chances for fraud are minimized.

Several years ago i got a Nokia communicator as a loyalty rewards and exchanged it for a supposedly "new" Nokia N95. Turned out the case was replaced with a class A unit, the charger conked out in a year, the keypad faded, the case paint chipped, the phone would hang in infinitum. The phone, it turned out, was cannibalized for original parts then sold as the real deal, with the parts sold as replacement parts for other phones.

An older phone a Nokia N73 from globe which came 2 years earlier than the communicator, today still looks spanking new, does not hang and the only thing broken is the battery. Bottom line these thieves and crooks strip the electronic items for the genuine parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the adaptor for the iPads have been replaced, the sun cables changed and other parts cannibalized for a separate sale.

9. Pupkin

Pupkin Active Member

I was in Greenhills tiange last week before X-mas to buy iPhone 3Gs i noticed that most of 3Gs their selling has already been replaced with fake back housing, and it's not hard to noticed at all because the apple logo at the back of the phone are imbosed! And some of the stall are selling monster beats product as authentic so i check it and i know for a fact that it's fake. Yes i know cause i owned most of the authentic beats headphones. What breaks my heart was ang daming bumibili na customer not knowing that what they bought are fakes! And it's not cheap, sample: their solo hd is around 8.5k studio 16k pro 25k. Tsk tsk:(

10. mactrix

mactrix Member

i noticed that too. they claim its 3GS pero very slow ang response ng touchscreen. i had the ipod touch 2nd gen 8GB before which came out with the 3rd gen ipod touch 32/64GB. ganun ka-slow ang 3GS na binebenta sa greenhills and suppose to be the 3GS should be as fast as the 3rd gen ipod touch (both having the same processor, video processor and memory)

11. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

Thanks to what I learned here in Philmug, I used my phone to check the serial number written on the box online. I was shocked when I saw that the warranty was already expired and the serial number was for an Ipad 1.

how did you know that it was expired and it was for an ipad1? do you have the list for checking? please send me the link too. :)

12. mystavros

mystavros Member

Go to the Apple website, there's a link there that will lead you to where you can input the serial number

13. fr.ankie

fr.ankie Member

Maybe next time they will try to sell iphone 4 units as 4s unit na? But as of now it can be distinguished as the 4s have siri.

14. himuramaki

himuramaki Member

been there the other day, i was surprised to see that almost everyone there are selling lots of iPhones, Macbooks, BB, DSLR... only very few Nokia's, Sony Ericsson, Samsung... I guess their profit margin is bigger with all these premium products.

15. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

You just need to look at the black bars (plastic separators) on the metal antenna band. 4s has 4, ip4 has 3.

16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I have an apartment near GH so I visit the Virramall Tiangee often to window shop the used laptop tinge at the second floor. You will immediately spot red flags such as missing box, chargers and installers. If any one of these are not included, I suggest you thread carefully as these MAY be stolen items - there is no way to verify. If somehow a persistent owner was able to track his unit and you bought it, be prepared for huge hassles and be legally obligated to surrender your newly bought Mac aka the Ryan Soriano (haha not me) incident. (I wonder what happened to that case?)

As for the price, their rates are really similar with asking prices the Philmug marketplace but they seem to have more abundant stock and choices. Here in Philmug you only have a few sellers offering their Macs at the same time. You may indeed find a good deal once and in a while. However, the risk involved maybe too much.

#76 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  17. Pupkin

Pupkin Active Member

No, i think sellers in greenhills will never try to do that as far as i know.

18. mactrix

mactrix Member

the 3gs can easily be disntinguished thru many software apps built-in to the 3gs, like the compass, the crosshair for the camera and others. but i was warned that Greenhills tech was able to install this apps to a 3g iphone since most iphones sold in Ghills are jailbroken

i won't be surprised if they can pass an iphone 4 as a 4s with Siri on it lol.

19. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

There are physical differences between ip4 and 4s people :)

As for the 3g being passed on as 3gs, just look at the video recorder inside camera app. Without it, it's a 3G ;)

20. John H

John H Member

Speaking of the devil. A little OT but may I ask what happened to his case? Did he eventually return his stolen Macbook Pro? I'm a bit out of date but very curious.