Warning for those who will buy Apple products in Greenhills

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by omarsytan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Scammers are working double time at this time of the month. Probably to pay off their utility bills or apartment rent. Anyway some schmuck was selling off fake AirPods at ridiculous prices in one of the stalls and unwary customers were snapping it up like pancakes.

How fake are they? First they don’t have the AirPod cases they should be in. They’re sold off as replacement earbuds or extra ones hence no case. They come in white boxes with an Apple logo complete with documentation and Apple stickers. They look completely like the original AirPods, but you'll actually notice the fakeness of its built.

Do they work? Well they do. They connect to Bluetooth fast. They work on both iOS and Android. Best of all, Siri is Chinese-sounding. That’s the giveaway, unless we’re unaware Apple has already included a Mai-Ling as a voice option.

The caveat? Of course, no case. No warranty. No way of knowing it’ll work after an Apple update.

No pics. No displays. This is under investigation already. But be aware that they’re sold fast and that they do transactions word-of-mouth.

ronjet, raypin and shaft like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

How much are they selling the airpods? Version 1.?

3. hitme64

4. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^madami na talaga ng knockoffs na yan sir, the latest they have incorporates the "W1 chip" daw, well sort of, since the splash screen is similar to original airpods. Of course quality is you get what you pay for.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. jomarr

jomarr Member

Can vouch for this. I bought my MBP with him last year. Warranty check.

6. eag

eag Well-Known Member

When you check the serial number on the Apple site, what result is supposed to come up? Looking at iPads in Greenhills, and when I checked the serial number it said “Unable to validate your products purchase date”.

7. hitme64

There’s this rumor that the NBI is surveilling 3 Apple resellers in Greenhills for alleged theft and violations of the anti-fencing law. Apparently they arrested a person who pointed at a group of resellers doing the same thing and are likely behind the series of bogus online transactions of failed Apple items and services. Sting operations are in place so a word of warning and advice: be careful with who you’re dealing with. Not because they may have a legitimate shop does it mean they do legitimate businesses inside. They may, and they may not. Be vigilant and report immediately any unwarranted transactions.

While I may not tell you where and how, a number of stolen Apple items were recovered from one reseller but those who may have lost one or two before may as not yet recover them because they are likely evidences against the culprits. Besides, my source says most if not all have been stripped of parts, i.e. screens, keyboards, hard drives, even panels.

Ok, thanks and you’re welcome.

8. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Parang kotse lang yan... cant sell a stolen car in one piece... hence, chop chop.

By the way, some of those low lifes are here in PhilMUG. Alam na nila to eh :)

hitme64 likes this.
  9. hitme64

Uy kilala ko yan ah (y)

cybersniper likes this.
  10. galaceuriel

galaceuriel Member

Where’s the best place in Greenhills to have my iPhone unlocked?

11. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

Same question here. But is it really possible to unlock iphones here in the philippines? I tried gpplte on my max but when i turn on the dual esim it say sim not supported. It works but you need to turn off the esim.

12. galaceuriel

galaceuriel Member

Where'd you buy it for and how much? Would you recommend it?

13. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

Bought it at lazada. It will work. But if you plan to use it with active esim, it will not work. You have to disable esim.

14. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Re: Warning for those who will buy Apple products in Greenhills

In other news... "Water is wet"...

15. hitme64

There’s a stall here that allegedly sold an Apple Watch Hermes edition Series 3 with Double Tour bracelet for less than 10k. The stall in question is near Mercury Drug, also sells Class AAA designer bags, whatever that means. So I guess the AW is either counterfeit or a real one being sold at rock bottom price (likely stolen then). Beware.

16. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

You can buy the bands off Amazon for less than $20

17. hitme64

It’s the knock-off Hermes Edition watch not the bands that’s selling for that rock-bottom price.

18. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

around 7K

iSk8er likes this.
  19. yehey9

yehey9 Active Member

AS a legitimate warning for those who will buy gray-market apple products or mobile phones from Greenhills, make sure that the iPhone or phone is NOT a unit from Japan or Korea. You will not be able to mute the camera shutter sound. An officemate learned this the hard way.
    SKorea and Japan has laws that phones must have a shutter sound every time the camera is used, to curb voyeurs, I guess. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8579659

Good thing is that the seller she bought it from is an honest-ish one and replaced it with a US unit. The seller did not also know that you cant turn off the shutter sound. The seller's supplier said that when the Live photo is on, there wont be any shutter sound anymore. But after checking with different units, there is still a faint click sound.

Problem now is if there are weird US laws on iPhones too. hahahah! Haven't asked my officemate yet if there are still kinks with her US iPhone. hhahah

20. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

Also, if you value Facetime, don't buy the Dubia iPhones. :)