Wacom Tablet?

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by dinxcarin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Congrats on the Wacom tablet, xthine!

You can visit the Wacom website for tips and latest reviews plus demos. They sometimes hold online demos/workshops.

Here's another site that you may find useful!

Been planning on getting a Wacom Tablet for my daughter, too, but she's still doing fine with her iPad! And she still enjoys freestyle drawing with pencil on paper. Then she either scans the drawing or takes a photo so she can add color on her computer.

2. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Aaawww thank you! I'm sure she could teach me a lot...I need to work on my stick figure drawings hehe :). I added some apps in the Bamboo Dock and I looks like there are a number of ways to share her art, she likes that a lot...she has over 1800 followers worldwide on Flipnote Hatena.

@MyKolant - Thanks for the link, I'll show it to her when I get home. I love how there are so many ways to create and draw these days... Traditional pen and paper, iPad + stylus (which my daughter wasn't keen on), Wacoms Bamboo tablets, Nintendo DS Flipnote Studio etc.

3. keouie

keouie Member

I had the first version of the pen and touch since it was released. The tablet is still working but now I found out that the pen isn't. Anyone know where I can buy the pen for it that wouldn't cost almost the same price as the tablet? I'm effy about letting go of my things especially when its still working :( So if I can stay practical, I'd rather just buy a pen than buy a new one altogether.

4. Mykolant

For great deals on Wacom tablets and accessories, check out the sale items from Ynzal, now holding its Year End Sale.

5. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Hello guys, I'm new here. Quick question about the Wacom Tablet. I have a dual monitor setup, a 27" and a 19" mounted on portrait mode. I'm planning to buy a Small Wacom Intuos. How will the proportions be divided in the tablet's active area? Plus, does the intuos 5 touch support the Mountain Lion gestures? Thanks!

6. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

guys help please! i have an old (bought in 2010) wacom bamboo tablet, and i still like using it.

but now i bought a new Mac, and i cant make it work bec i lost the installer cd for the wacom pen tablet! where can you download one ?

thanks a lot in advance :)

7. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

8. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

9. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Just want to share my experience with the Wacom Bamboo Pen and touch. Now I can answer my own questions. At first I thought that the small tablet isn't enough for the 27" iMAc with an extended monitor, but to my preferences it was just right. It's intelligently mapped on both of my screens so when I draw a circle on the tablet, it is still proportioned. The touch feature works with the OSX gestures like scrolling with 2 fingers, zooming in/out, rotating and expose with four fingers. All of those work except for the side swipe gestures. I'm satisfied with the Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch. I saved 70% rather than buying the intuos 5. Great for everyday use, but when it's time to edit videos I take out my handy magic mouse.

10. ReddVFX

ReddVFX New Member

Ok my bad, the side swipe gesture works!

11. knowsnomac

knowsnomac Member

Hello to everyone.

I plan on getting a Wacom Cintiq. From reading a bit of this thread I have found out that Ynzal sells them. How is your experience with buying from them?

Also, who else are the official sellers of Wacom Cintiqs here in the Philippines? Just want to have more options.

Also to those who use Cintiqs, how often does the nib last before needing replacement.

And do I need a screen protector?

Thank you very much for anyone who can share anything. Much appreciated.:)

#411 knowsnomac, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  12. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

hi guys! like Knowsnomac, i am also considering buying a wacom cintiq. been using my old bamboo fun for 3 years and i feel i need to buy a new one, and since i am now committed to pursuing my passion - which is drawing.

just some questions if i may -

how much is the cheapest wacom cintiq ? is it worth the expensive price difference compared to an intuos ?? and for drawing, would you say i can get by with an intuos or do i really need to get a cintiq ?

13. mnx

mnx Active Member

the 12 should be on inventory sale at this point with the 13 out... i hear ynzal sells them for less than 50k now...

yes, it's worth it...

14. Mykolant

Yes, the Cintiq 12 is now just P47,000 at Ynzal! Call first to check if they have enough stocks left.

15. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

Thanks! Can i ask though - is the only main difference between a cintiq and an intuos, the ability to draq directly on the screen? Im still undecided if the huge price difference is worth it..

Thanks guys

16. mnx

mnx Active Member

Try both and see which works for you...

17. airmax32

airmax32 Member

I'm thinking about buying a tablet instead of settling on the mouse.

18. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

I played around with the mouse function of my daughters tablet and I thought it was decent. I'm not sure if she uses her tablet as a mouse that much (or at all).

19. Adamson

Adamson New Member

In my opinion you should go for Intuos 3 although it's expensive but if you buy graphie 3 or 4*5 then you will feel problem when you sale it because it don't have resale value and intous 3 will help you a lot and you can use it for next 3 years without worrying

20. ultraracingph

ultraracingph Member

Saw this thread and hopefully this may help answer some future questions about these products. First of all, before purchasing the more expensive Cintiq I'd like to ask if you have used an Intuos tablet? If not then I suggest you try one first. In terms of drawing on your computer or editing with Photoshop, using a tablet compared to using a mouse is like comparing using a pencil as opposed to using a brick. Once you've gotten the hang of using a tablet it will just make sense. You'll probably realize what you've been missing all this time and probably kick yourself in the butt for not investing in one sooner. Personally, using a tablet cut my editing time for photos by 50%. It is that efficient. Period!

Now, assuming you've had the experience of using tablets and now want to upgrade and use a Cintiq. My analogy to this is like using a mirror to draw on a piece of paper. At least that's how it feels once you learn and get used to working on a Cintiq. You'll probably be kicking yourself again for not investing in one sooner. A Cintiq cut my editing time by 75%...it is more Efficient.

My advise...baby steps. Get a tablet first, learn how to use it and seamlessly incorporate it into your work flow. You'll find it is an amazing tool. If you have the experience already, the Cintig is worth investing in. If you just have money to spend, heck get the Cintiq and get it over with! At least until the next version comes out which you'd want too! He he!

Hope this helps!