VPN Routers

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by LeoCastillo, Dec 25, 2017.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi guys! I'm wondering who are currently using VPN Routers, and successfully able to use it to manage region requirements, such as with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Can you share to us your setup?

Leo

2. angelo

angelo Member

Hi, I have a TPLink Archer C7 which has gone through 2 alternative firmware flashes - DD-WRT and Gargoyle. Both have VPN client support.

I have a VyperVPN account that I use for Netflix US and Hulu. Setup is a bit involved but once it’s done, you don’t really have to touch it again.

Occassionally when Netflix blocks the IP, all I do is disconnect and reconnect the VPN to obtain a new IP and everyone is happy again.

3. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

how is speed with VPN enabled? normally i only get like 1mbps for my 50mbps fibr thus i disabled it.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm using a Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16). It's been up 24/7 for almost 5 years.

It's not doing anything else (WiFi disabled) other than function as a gateway for all my devices that needs to be on the VPN. Everything still needs to go through my main router (pfSense).

5. angelo

angelo Member

My 50Mbps Sky Broadband connection drops to 5Mbps when I’m on VPN.

6. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I have the same router what would you recommend? DDWRT or Gargoyle?

7. angelo

angelo Member

There’s not a lot a guides specific to Gargoyle yet. I’m currently using it for other reasons (per device bandwidth monitoring).

That is why I recommend you flash with DDWRT.

Make sure to check you hardware version before flashing as flashing the wrong firmware can brick your router.

8. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have used DDWRT in the past, but I like the Bandwidth Monitoring of the Gargoyle. Yup havent seen a lot of reference for it. I’ll just go safe with DDWRT. Thanks!

9. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member