VoLTE : Smart & Globe

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by josephjahred, Jan 26, 2020.

1. josephjahred

josephjahred New Member

Any idea sa details and updates on Smart VoLTE and Globe VoLTE?

2. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

VoLTE for Smart is currently available to select postpaid customers in select areas in Metro Manila.

3. Juicecasmot

Juicecasmot Member

Is this different from regular LTE? I have VoWifi. Tried it and was able to make calls to globe numbers on airplane mode, able to send and receive regular texts too on airplane mode. DA83A816-B2EC-449A-A99E-46D57EDDAF2C.jpeg

4. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

You’ll know if you have VoLTE if you make a call on LTE (i.e. WiFi is off) and your signal indicator does not switch to 3G/EDGE.

5. Juicecasmot

Juicecasmot Member

Yep found it. I think it’s enabled na.

BB9A2589-6F7A-4904-B2A4-5AE1149DC42A.jpeg

6. neilrg

Even if it’s enabled in the settings app, your carrier account must be provisioned for VoLTE. Try making a call and see if the signal indicator stays on LTE.

7. josephjahred

josephjahred New Member

I wonder why Globe has taken so long to implement VoLTE and VoWifi, when in fact they were one of the few mobile network operators in the world to implement esim when it launched and if rich countries like the us and third world countries like India has already VoLTE & VoWifi then why can’t we?

8. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

This is their response to my Q

upload_2020-1-27_10-7-9.png

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...even if you have voLTE active and working on your handset to enjoy HD audio, it is useless unless the other party you are calling is also on voLTE active status.

voLTE and voWIFI are much more useful in non-urbanized areas (no voLTE/ no voWifi) than in highly urbanized areas like BGC where cell and data signals are superior and these new techs are not really needed (superflous).

greta87 and XeNo13GrIn like this.
  10. joethemobile01

VoLTE is useful especially when you’re in a call and you do internet surfing.

Now if they will rollout to all subscribers, majority of the new phone capable of LTE has VoLTE capability its just they (carriers and manufacturers) have to enable them then everyone will experience HD calls and faster connect time.

You won’t really appreciate these features if you haven’t really tried them and whenever its useful.

11. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

VoLTE got me in trouble last night, zero incoming messages from FB Messenger all was delayed, not just last night but sometimes no internet connection even if it's Full Bar LTE signal. I assume it's jumping towers with and without LTE (note this is always in a moving vehicle)

At the office in BGC where I am at, VoLTE is not available.

Until it gets stable I probably will just permanently turn it off and try once in a while.

12. neilrg

Globe is now trialing VoLTE for selected postpaid customers. Only some Samsung, Huawei, and Nokia phones are eligible as of the moment. Those with iPhone in their accounts are not yet included.

rdy0329 likes this.
  13. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

SMART subscriber here. Anyone having problem with sending sms or calling when you're connected to LTE or Wifi? I just observed I need to turn off/on Airplane mode to be able to send one

14. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

Yes, when Wi-Fi Calling is on. Turning it off solved the issue for me.

15. joethemobile01

16. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

17. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

I saw someone post that you can now manually have VoLTE and VoWifi provisioned on your Smart Postpaid account if it still isn't activated. Just call their hotline *888. I haven't personally tried, still waiting for my retention device to be delivered lol.

18. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

UPDATE: Called in earlier at around 10AM. They just asked what device I'm using and they'll walk you through how to activate both VoLTE and Wifi Calling. I told them I've already enabled the toggles but looks like my line isn't provisioned so he went ahead and checked my profile settings on the backend. After a minute long wait, the CSR informed me that they've already adjusted my profile and see if it's okay na. After the call, the carrier name changed almost immediately. No problems making calls and texts both to Smart and other networks, even in Airplane mode.

I called in using my non-Signature line so I assume any postpaid plan will work hehe. I'm also using an iPhone 6S for this line which isn't on their official supported devices list.

[​IMG]

neilrg and Shinahashirome like this.
  19. neilrg

Does your phone maintain an LTE signal when making a voice call when wi-fi is off?

20. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

Here in Scout area in QC, no. I heard Smart VoLTE is rolled out by area eh. :(