VMWare Fusion Newbie

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ice, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi there, I have just received this new app as a gift (Christmas).

Can someone here just help me with some questions I have…

• I have read that to un-install an OS (as of this time I have installed a 30 day trial XP, I want to change it to Vista) all I have to do is DELETE the VMWare Folder in my Documents Folder. Is it really that easy?

• I have read that it’s also possible to install Linux, will it be possible for me to install 2 different OS at the same time?

• I am using the White Macbook, will I be able to play games with it? (I remember playing C&C Generals on my Old Desktop even if it did not have a Video Card.)

• I tried to plug in my Flash Drive, my OSX can detect it but my Windows cannot, how do I make my VMWare recognize my USB Devices?

• Do I need to “Shutdown” my Windows before I quit the VMWare?

• When I installed my Windows XP, VMWare informed me that it will use 512MB of Ram and 40gigs of Hard Disk. Is it possible to increase the Ram (to 1gig) and reduce the Hard Disk Space (to 10 gigs)? I am not planning to run OSX apps while using VMWare anyway.

Thanks in advance, I will post additional questions once I start using VMware more often.

2. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Hi ice,

Please see my answers below.

Best regards,

csc2ky

All you have to delete is the corresponding file to the VM within the VMWare folder and it is gone. Cannot be any easier.

You can install as many VM as you wish and have space on your hard drive. XP, Vista, Linux etc. All at the same time. If your hardware would allow it you can also run them at the same time, but with a MacBook you have some limitations there.

Games will or will not run. Since you have either the GMA950 or X3100 integrated graphics chip from Intel it is more likely that most games will not run very well or at all. Depends on the game really. Older ones might be fine. So, trial and error.

Shutdown your VM with Windows XP and in the VMWare Library Window highlight it and click on the button Settings. There you can setup how VMWare handels your USB devices. Default should be that when you plug in any USB device the VM should be able to utilize it. If it does not work, let me know and we will figure something out.

You do not need to perform a "Shutdown". VMWare will put your installation into a "sleeping/suspend" state, that you can quickly restore for further usage. When you are in window mode, you can see the Play/Pause style button within the toolbar of the VM. Just use that instead of doing a "Shutdown" through the Windows menu.

Same like before, shutdown your VM and go into the Settings of it to increase the allocated RAM to it. Depending on how much memory your machine offers, you can assign more to the VM. IF you have only 1GB, you should not take more away from Mac OS because everything is gonna be slow responding. I for one am not doing too heavy tasks under my Windows XP VM and with 4GB RAM on my MacBook Pro, I let Windows have 1GB. Do not know about Vista, but I have read that it is more hungry in this case so maybe 2GB will make it run better.

Also the space allocation for your hard drive can be set there. Usually you define a maximum by default, therefore your VM will take up only what it really needs and is growing according to your installations within it. Within the settings you can define how it is precisely handled.

Shoot your questions, the community will help for sure. :)

3. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I second the answers given above, this is coming from a person that has evaluated VMware for datacenter systems. goodluck!

4. ice

thanks

Ill play with my new app at home later!

5. ice

I just want to clarify on this part.

If I install anything (lets just say Firefox) on my XP/Vista, once I delete the corresponding file in the VMWare Folder everything will be deleted. No need to search for the Firefox Files. Is this correct?

I think something went wrong with my installation since I used an XP version that was suppose to be installed to a Compaq Desktop only. I'll try it again once I get a Vista (after the 30 days XP thing)

thanks, just upgraded my RAM to 1gig

I just found out that the minimum HD space is 40gigs.

6. ice

*Burning CD's*

if I install NERO on my VM, will it recognize my Mac's built-in CD Drive?

Will I be able to make a bootable CD with it?

7. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

Hi!

I was hoping to install Sun Solaris OS 10 on my MBA but I wasn't sure whether I needed VMware Fusion 2 or VMware Workstation to make it happen. Please advise. Thank you!

8. alistair

alistair Member

Everything, including Windows, will be deleted.

Here's an easy way to think of it: a virtual machine is an entire hard disk.

Deleting the VM file is like throwing away the hard disk.

No more Firefox.

No more Windows.

No more anything.

9. alistair

alistair Member

I haven't tried it, but it is possible to configure the CD-ROM drive to be 'attached' to the Windows VM, so this is possible.

My question is: Why do you want/need to install Nero?
    Booting what? Windows? Linux?

If you have a bootable ISO image, you can just as easily burn that to a CD using Disk Utility and the resulting CD will be bootable.

10. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Yes, I've used VMware in that manner and it recognizes all the hardware of the Mac as long as you turn it on in the settings. I've successfully installed an Ubuntu distro to a USB while booting a Ubuntu CD using VMWare before and I imagine you can burn bootable DVDs as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.