View problems with SL + other concerns

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by wolfpuppet, Apr 2, 2010.

1. wolfpuppet

wolfpuppet New Member

Hey, guys. I recently moved from my old MacBook to a MacBook Pro running SL. It's a lovely OS, but there are some glitches I can't seem to fix. Hope to get some advice regarding the following issues:

Icon View in Finder won't show image thumbnails.
    All I get is the generic file icon. This is a big problem since I rely on Icon View to organize my photo libraries. I really need to fix this one.

This mainly happens to files which I moved from the MacBook. They were okay in my old computer; the problem arose when I transferred them to the MBP. Could they have been damaged "in transit"?

Exposé animations are choppy.
    The Exposé animation in the MacBook was smooth like melted butter, even with multiple windows open. Now, in my "better" unit, the animation is choppy and jumpy. It's a big annoyance. Like a bit of food stuck between your teeth. ;)

Also: is there a way to make it work like the old Exposé? It's disorienting when everything is sized uniformly.

View Options defaults don't work for pre-existing folders.
    This is a minor problem. The defaults work when I make new folders. But do I have to manually tweak all the folders I brought over from my old notebook? I'm reeeeeeeally OC about my folders (and life in general, lol). I want everything set just the way I want them. :)

Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to wipe the slate clean and reinstall Snow Leopard? I got the MBP from the office. I'm the first owner, but it was tinkered on by our IT department (who admit to not knowing much about Macs). I myself don't know a lot about the inner workings of SL, which is why I can't help but wonder if they did something wrong or breathed on it the wrong way.

Sorry if this got a bit long. I tried doing my own research online, but couldn't find the right resource.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

2. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

^ As for your Exposé issue, 10.6.3 was supposed to fix it. If you haven't already updated, try doing so. :)

Sorry I can't offer any help with others. Good luck!

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

That's just what I did recently. I saved my personal data (documents, pictures, videos, songs etc.) to my external drive. After which, I clean installed Snow Leopard on my MBA and updated the software. Then manually transferred my data back to the relevant folders. Now everything feels as snappy fast as day one.

4. wolfpuppet

wolfpuppet New Member

(facepalm!) how could i have missed the latest update? and i thought i was updated. lol. thanks for the heads-up. will download as soon as my interwebz connection behaves. :)

thanks for the feedback. at least i know i can nuke it if all else fails. :)

5. wolfpuppet

wolfpuppet New Member

Finished the 10.6.3 update. Exposé is indeed smoother. Thanks for the tip.

Anybody have some advice for the icon problem? I only want to reinstall Snow Leopard as a final option.