Video Lighting

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by dvsadvocate, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

LED video lights

Been looking around for affordable video lights lately. Saw some LED video lights around the web from local suppliers. This is new tech for me and I havent had any experience using them. I was wondering what set can i use to replace the Arrilite 800 im used to light all sorts of subjects from people interviews to product shots. Or should I look into something else?

2. chizbol

chizbol Member

LED video lights

Better if you can get some hands on with it so you know the throw (bato) its softness, color temp etc. I know of many award winning DOPs that have their own diy favorite kits

3. imabs

imabs Active Member

Re: LED video lights

why do you need LED set anyway? affordable? portable? you'll still be needing a light stand, some color gels, diffusers and in some cases, it's bluish.

4. wrkshy

wrkshy Member

Contact Aperture. Falcon Eyes have LED lights. I saw it from their brochure.

5. briareos

briareos Member

6. Nerdtantra

Nerdtantra New Member

do you know where to get them? the most affordable?

7. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

These Tayhua lights (and most low cost LED lights) are more or less 5500K, but have a greenish cast. Its recommended to use a less-green or magenta gel with them.

These particular lights are also the lowest cost LED you can find (even on Ebay), but they are an older model. The newer ones are lighter and throw farther.

I'm seriously considering replacing all my lights with LED, but the reason why I hesitate is because my redheads allow me to get great color all the time, and with no hesitation. I'm not that confident with LEDs because there is a great variation among LED manufacturing batches (especially with cheap China LED).

As someone mentioned here, some are bluish, some are not. And some are white, but have a green spike.

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Reviving this thread because I am a newbie videographer in search for fog lights. ;)

But seriously, any good local finds lately? Given the date of the last post on this thread, have LEDs progressed to suitably replace redheads, or whatever you were previously using?

And any links to local video lighting vendors would be welcome. Thanks! :)

9. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Video Lighting, what to buy and where to buy

Hi everyone! Newbie DSLR video person here with already a few projects under her belt. I'm beginning to discover the importance of proper lighting and starting to study it but I'm more of a learn by doing person so I wonder what you wiser and more experienced cinematographers and videographers can recommend some sort of starter light kit/set for total newbie like myself. I do interviews and some short film projects outside so portability is a plus!

So what kind of lighting kit can a newbie like me use and where can I purchase it, for hopefully a reasonable price! Many many thanks Philmug! :confused:

10. Sh8ks

Sh8ks Member

Buy some portable LED's it will help you.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Video newbie myself. :)

I have a couple of general purpose LED flood lights (photo below), which I typically use in the garden, garage, and other uses around the house.

[​IMG]

I repurposed them for video by covering them with shoot-through umbrella and/or bouncing off standard reflector umbrella.

Last week, I bought Ledgo B308CT LED video lights from Pixel Pro Megamall (sister company of Henry's). Variable color temp 3200k-7200k and dimmable. I don't remember the cost because its cost was dwarfed by other more expensive purchases. :D But it's somewhere between 5k and 8k, I think. There are smaller lights in the 2k/3k range.

As with anything, much depends on your requirements/usage context and budget. Mine have been fill-ins mostly, so minimal so far. But I'm sure, I'll level up over time. :D

Read up and be enlightened! :)

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Beat me to it Aurie! :)

Since this is quite connected to the topic, I would like to ask advice from the video gurus too. I'm helping out a bunch of students a major school project and a scene involves interviewing people besides a big campfire. Question, what kind of video lighting do we need for this odd lighting situation? Many thanks Philmuggers!

13. chizbol

chizbol Member

Try to match the exposure of the talking head with the campfire. You can use a reflector if lights are not feasible. A small led diffused lightbank would do.

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^^I would probably bring a small LPG-powered barbecue grill and use that as fill-in light. You might as well bring marshmallows, hamburgers and hotdogs too. :D

15. dvsadvocate

Basically you need three light sources. Key, Fill, and Back lighting. I swear by "Blueheads" from Arri. Just make sure you use the right gels for proper white balance. They're pretty expensive though, so it might be better if you can just rent it out from all these grip rental houses like Balicas, Griptemizer etc.

16. Salaryman Ryan

Many thanks. I read a lot of good things about Arri lights, where can you purchase Arri lights locally?

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Meron akong Arri, but my wife won't let anyone else touch it. If she only knew. ;)

18. war1

war1 Member

you can buy arri at mq lighning at polaris makati.
    u can also want to consider kino flo diva light

19. dvsadvocate

@rbenzon, Im sure no one would want to borrow, much less rent your Arri! Lol!

Im not sure if Aperture Trading still sells them. From What I recall about 8 years ago they were in the 25k range per head already. No stands pa.

20. Salaryman Ryan

Haha I don't think you will appreciate it if we clamp your arri on lighstands. :)