Viber App

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by Shinrai, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

2. berrybianka

berrybianka Member

Re: Viber

I encounter this too. I have missing contacts in my Viber contact list. They are already Viber users but it doesn't reflect. I always include+63 in all my contacts so @Alucard's suggestion is not working for me. Any suggestions?

3. Viber

Viber Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    These days we are in the early stages of developing this future premium service, but naturally, we are still not sure of what it is going to look like, or even how it will perform.

Once we have updates, we will fill you in.

4. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Viber, I am so impressed with you today. I made a sequential number of calls to several people (who are also on Viber) from all over the world today. And 3 things became apparent to me:

• You are the THX of voice calls. Whatever technology you guys are using, it's something that Apple should definitely considering as worth buying, developing on their own, or stealing from you guys. (Facetime can definitely use you guys! Or, do you guys happen to have the grand design of becoming the 3rd-party Facetime?)

• I've chatted for hours and hours on end, with different people, successively, and battery life is amazingly fantastic! Barely a dent!

• And how come the iPhone doesn't heat up? Despite the fact that I've been basically chewing other people's ear off for hours, and burning the WiFi connection with an endless tennis of chatter, the iPhone didn't burn my palm, the way it does during typical cellular voice calls? Do you guys practice voodoo or something?

5. Viber

Viber Member

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're happy you enjoy Viber :)

- We are actually using a proprietary VoIP protocol, but we prefer to not reveal its name. yes, the sound quality is very good, and it even got better with Viber 1.1

- the secret to low battery consumption (and thus iPhone not heating up) is the fact that Viber uses relatively low bandwidth. Viber uses only 240KB/minute, which is about 1MB every 4 minutes!

6. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

And, Viber, did I tell you that all the hour-long or so calls I made today were all free? :)

7. Viber

Viber Member

Yea, we heard Viber calls were free ;)

8. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

@hungryalien

You obviously don't get my point. Please read @Wils' post above to see exactly what I meant.

For your info, what they're doing now (connecting you to whoever you're calling via VoIP) requires you to log in. However, in an innovative way. Whether you like it or not, you're logging in through your mobile number as it is always going to be unique to your phone only. Its not because they're FREE or whatnot. From that logic, wouldn't it be similar to skype or ym or any other log in process (user name, password etc etc)? Thus, differentiating from the paid and unpaid subscribers might be doable. I'm not a technical person, I don't know how to do the nitty gritty. Which is why I was merely airing out my thoughts and suggestions in hopes that the smart people in Viber might figure out a way.

In summary, let me repeat again. I DO NOT WANT VIBER TO CHANGE TO A LOG IN SYSTEM. I'm asking (politely and humbly) that they offer this service in a subscription basis for those of us who wants to. Again, similar to skype...you can call skype to skype all you want. But if you want to call landlines, you pay subscription. YM also does this, so does other VoIP services. But Viber makes everything more transparent, thus I prefer using it over skype or YM. I hope that makes it clearer.

I heard Chuck Norris uses Viber. True story.

@berry

Its sort of a hit and miss. Just the other day, I helped install viber on a friend's iphone. I was right beside him when he registered and yet my contact list didn't update. I changed the number to +63 again, and a few minutes later (around 10), it appeared. And then a few minutes after that, push notification came up that my friend was registered to Viber (yes it was late but hey). Overall, don't fret. I think I can blame that to the poor 3g/GPRS service that day for the delay.

9. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

Viber

You are missing entirely my point too. All am saying is why ask for a paid version if they are offering the service for free.

And also i did mentioned that i dont mind paying for a paid version (one time pay/reasonable priced) but not on subscription based (monthly/annually). If ever they do decide on charging for usage.

10. Viber

Viber Member

I’d like to reiterate the five commitments we made when we launched the company:
    1. The Viber software will always be free.
    2. Viber for iPhone (and soon Viber for Android) will never display any ads.
    3. Viber to Viber calls will always be free.
    4. Viber to Viber text messages (coming soon) will always be free.
    5. We will never sell, rent or in any other way abuse your personal information.

to conclude: The basic Viber service - Viber to Viber phone calls, and soon text messages - will ALWAYS be free.

11. Wils

Wils New Member

Whoaw, clam down people.

Different strokes for different folks.

As it is, I'm happy that this app is free, but for some other people, I understand that they have other needs. Like a friend of mine. He uses Skype for free calls, but also avails of it's paid services to make international calls to landlines. Something that is not free.

And some of you can attest, the Iphone does heat up using Skype calls. I guess that's what Alucard is gunning at. Paid calls to international phones (without a Viber acct), with less hassles of a log-in (hopefully) and our Iphones, not heating up and saving battery life in the process.

@Viber: Any plans on releasing this for the desktop/laptop platforms? I understand that this app was initially made for mobile devices. But it would be nice to contact friends who don't have smartphones and only have desktops/laptops with them. A move that would increase my contacts considerably

12. Viber

Viber Member

It's definitely on our list, but it's still very early to talk about release dates.
    Once there is concrete news, I'll be sharing them officiailly.

Viber.

13. -Octate-

-Octate- Member

when will the iPod touch and iPad versions be out? can we get some lovin' as well from u guys ^_^

14. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Viber - Viber = FREE
    Viber - mobiles/landlines = paid

Wils has explained it better though.

@Wils - laptop/desktop Viber would be so cool. Anything, ANYTHING to get me more contacts!!! TALK TO MEEEEEEE!!!!

Here's how to use Viber on ipod Touch or iPad. Hope this helps.

15. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I love this app. It's like CDMA calls all over again.

16. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

How do you pronouce "viber"?

A client of mine pronouce it as veeber or (Justin) Bieber. I pronouce it as Vy-ber.

17. liv_m

liv_m Member

i guess its more like the second one.

18. Viber

Viber Member

aha nice question!
    Viber is pronounced Vy-ber, like "Viper", just with a 'b' :)

19. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

I think Viber is still exploring earning options. just like what the movie said, we don't know what it is yet or what it can be... We only know that it's cool.

20. slikr

slikr Member

viber tried it once and deleted it after