Using Notes in Mail

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by HardCharger, Mar 6, 2010.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

Anybody use the to-do list and notes found in the Mail app?

I've got a few questions on them.

1. How do you make the To-Do items disappear once you check them?
    2. Is there a way to make the notes just appear when you click on the note icon much like with what happens with To-Do? Currently the messages appear on the inbox window together with the email and I'm afraid that if I delete the inbox or mail account for whatever reason, I will loose my notes.
    3. Are the notes synced with the iPhone note app?

Want to know the answers to these questions before I continue adding stuff to the so that I don't eventually waste my time and effort if it doesn't work out the way I expect.

Hope to hear from y'all on this soon. :)

2. m0nd

m0nd Member

2. run mail app -> click mail (upper left beside the apple logo) -> preferences -> choose mail account -> mailbox behaviours -> uncheck show notes in inbox
    3. yes they get synced with the iphone note app

enjoy!

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Just press Delete key to remove To Do item. Check them if you want a record of things that are done. Notes sync well with an iPhone or Ipod Touch. To Do list syncs well with a Nokia phone.

4. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi Mond!

That did it for the notes!

Thanks!

Hi Mad Mac,

Thanks for the tip. I guess that's how it's gonna have to be then.

:)

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I just wonder if there is a To-Do app for the iphone that will sync nicely with the Mac.

6. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

1. Create a Smart Folder and in the drop down boxes, choose "to dos", "all". Then in the box below, choose "To Do is incomplete". I use the same thing to manage my to do list in my Mail.app

@Mad Mac, I haven't found a nice app that syncs To Dos from the Mail.app. You could try another To Do app though, I think Things is a very good alternative since it has both a desktop and iPhone app.

7. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

I recently ran into a little issue, when I sync, I get blank notes for some reason and stuff that I deleted from my notes in the iPhone keep coming back. Why is this?

If I order the program to save my to do stuff in Gmail, does it really get backed up in Gmail? Would saving everything on the Mac be the better option in this case?

I actually lost 2 new entries I did and they didn't get backed up either. A real hassle.

Can anyone help me out with this?

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Review your iTunes sync settings for Notes.

9. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

There are sync settings?

I just checked sync notes and that's it.

Where do I find the other settings?

I just realized that the lost notes were placed on the aforementioned blank notes but did not get saved. I was hoping that when I wrote notes on those that they would no longer be blank later on. Bugger.

I think these were the blank notes I created but then deleted when feeling my way around things since this is my first Mac that I'm syncing my iPhone with.

Thanks in advance.