user accounts preferences gone

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by loungeroomlizard, Jun 2, 2008.

1. loungeroomlizard

not sure if i'm in the right place but this is kind of an emergency :eek: for some reason, i cannot find the accounts preferences on my macbook.... where could it have gone?!:confused: I tried looking for it in spotlight,topics about it come out but when clicked on, wouldn't open... i opened systems preferences but still not anywhere there...i go to help in finder, same thing... i really have no clue as to how this can happen:( its always been there and never had a problem. now that i want to add another user....gone gone gone is my accounts preferences. someone please help!:redface:

2. macychic

macychic Member

can you post a screenshot of your System Preferences?

3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

click the apple on the upper right hand, and click on system preferences. once the system preferences open, go to the system section, and click on the accounts. when you are in accounts, click on the plus sign at the lower right-hand corner.

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@dj,

From what I understand the OP, he can't click on Accounts in System Preferences because Accounts is no longer there.

5. loungeroomlizard

yes...gone...still gone...even when i click under the user name on the upper right hand, where ACCOUNTS PREFERENCES is still written under LOG IN WINDOW, all it does is open the systems preference but user accounts or account preferences nowhere to be found...:confused: help! what best to do?

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is your userid an admin account?

hmmm...now this is tricky. If you can't do an Arhive and Install option here's what I suggest...

create a new user.

It may be specific to your userid only. To create the new user, follow this link and look at a comment from Ivan dated Nov. 21, 2007 2:59AM as that's the closest that works for Leopard. Due to my office' websense filter here I can only see this one article that can create users thru the terminal.

Login with the new user and see if the Accounts Preference pane shows up. If yes, then your original id settings may be whacked. You may migrate to this new userid then. If not, archive and install would be the way I guess.

Use this option only if you're desperate to keep all your settings. Else, backup to an external drive and reinstall the system.

Any other options from long time Mac gurus?

7. Primo

Primo Member

There is a quick fix, you can just find someone with the same version of OS X as you. Copy off his or her Account.prefpane file from System > Library > PreferencePanes and then copy it to yours. Should fix the problem quite easily.

Weird that someone or something moved or deleted that file. I'm currently running 10.5.3... You have to look for someone with the same version of OS X as yours for this to work. Should save you the trouble of reinstalling the OS. Just run a permission fix if necessary, but you should not have to...

8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think Primo's suggestion is way better than mine :) I looked at it in the UNIX perspective. hehe. Strange indeed that the preference pane disappeared.

9. loungeroomlizard

thanks guys i will try all suggestions. its comforting to know that we are not alone in this complex (at least to me) circuit....like life in general;) yes it is weird that this thing happened although, i just learned that my 10 year old niece used the macbook.....but shouldn't matter if he is ten or ten thousand years old, how could he have caused the accounts pref pane to disappear!.:eek: will update you guys soon as i sit down to try fixing again. i'm on the road right now so will wait til i land and find a solution, hopefully...