urlseek.vmn.net in Firefox

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by dakilang_waiter, Mar 9, 2008.

1. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

We have an iBook G4 using Firefox. It keeps redirecting to urlseek.vmn.net. Searched in Google and it said that this was malware. However, couldn't find a solution for removing it and most suggestions were for Windows PC's.

Help!

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

From Yahoo Answers:

It's a Malware

To remove from Firefox try:

- Type about:config in location bar , press Enter.
    - type keyword.URL in filter.
    - If its value is not “http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe... then right click on then preference reset .

Should remove urlseek redirect. For me, it worked only temporarily, then it was back again…

Another thing to check is any software application toolbars installed which make use of it. In my case, I had installed & enabled the UltraEdit toolbar. Removing this toolbar also removed the urlseek redirect. Changing the options for redirect, as the instructions advise, did not have any affect.

3. berniej

berniej Active Member

an alternative fix is to first save all your bookmarks and take note of all your add-ons, then delete the preference files of FireFox. Then restore your bookmarks and add-ons, taking note the exact instance when the urlseek problem returns.

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

yeah, forgot about that, that will work. :D

5. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

@ rdy0329
    That answer from Yahoo! is also the one I found and tried first. It didn't work though.

@ berniej
    Thank you for your suggestion. Although from what I understand, there are a lot of preference files involved so that would mean checking each one.

Before I was able to read your replies, I uninstalled Firefox, deleted its associated files, and just reinstalled it. That worked. :)

Thanks for your replies! Hope this helps some other poor soul who gets infected by this malware. I don't even know how it got into the iBook in the first place.

6. cipals15

cipals15 Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

vmn.net is a good website but unfortunately there are programmers who tried to use it in their spams and malware.