Urgent help. Macbook aluminum screen flickered then no display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by nuiko, Apr 11, 2010.

1. nuiko

nuiko Member

Hi Guys,

I don't know if some of you already experience this but yesterday morning, I tried booting up my macbook aluminum and succesfully i got in to the homepage. Now what I did (and usually do), is open safari and access facebook. For some reason, when I got in my screen began to flicker (as in no exageration flicker na parang bad signal sa tv) and its causing my macbook to hang a bit.

What I did was force it to shut down by pressing the power button kasi non responsinve na sya. And when i turned it back on, it did.. i heard the chime, and looks like the volume is working and there's even a backlight pero wala na talagang lumalabas sa screen (until now).

I tried taking it to an apple service center here in singapore and we did the reset pram/vram thing and there was no result. So the only way for them to check it is to have it diagnosed and I don't have that enough time to leave it there since I'm leaving for KL tomorrow.

And here's the sad part, I don't have an apple care plan for it so no warranty already. :(

Is there another troubleshooting (aside from reseting pram/vram) process that I can do on my own to check if it will work again. I hope its not the logic board (Please God one year and 2 months palang to).

Also, just in case I need to have it serviced , san mas maganda magpacheck na center sa manila? and hopefully sana free lang check up and pay nalang kung ipapaserviced talaga. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much guys in advance!!!

2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Out of warranty best place to bring it is Ynzal in Sct, Rallos st. , QC. They have extensive experience servicing Macs. That sounds like a mechanical problem. I wouldn't push my luck turning that on and hoping it will be miraculously fixed.

3. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I agree with Mad Mac. It looks like a hardware problem.

Could be graphics card, LCD panel, or LCD signal cable.

If you still want to troubleshoot, connect your MB to an external display. If it works, then it's not the graphics card.

Hopefully it's just the signal cable. If it's the LCD panel, prepare to shell out some serious cash to have it replaced.

4. hilaga

hilaga Member

When you turn your computer on after you hear the chime, do you see faint images on the lcd on certain angles?

I had the same problem with my old powerbook. It turned out to be a simple problem with the lcd flex cable.

I hope this is the same case that you're experiencing.

Hope this helps

5. RC

RC Active Member

I'd assume that it has something to do with the LCD cable...

Funny how from your story the technicians "only" did a PRAM test.... they could at least hooked an external display or something visual for the customer to see...

Anyhow.... aside from the other suggestions that may be posted here....Try bringing it back to the place that you bought it from!

6. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Go for mad mac and natsgo's suggestions.

7. peppers

peppers Member

Try to run AHT, its included in your System HD invisible if it was not yet reformatted, otherwise its also inside your system disk that comes with mbp. Also ask the Singapore tech to run hardware and software diagnostic...It would be good to ask all of this test before.EVER opening the mbp..These are all nondestructive test..

Gudluck..

8. nuiko

nuiko Member

Thanks Guys.. maybe when I get back to the PI tska ko nalang ipapatest. I bought it nga pala sa digital hub so sana matulungan din nila ako (calling Charlie :) ) haha anyway, tinatawanan ko nlng kasi nandun lahat ng work files ko haha

Thanks much for the suggestions!