Upgrading to Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by sparrowhawk, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Hi guys, I'm still a newbie here. So, the thing is I want to upgrade my macbook pro os into leopard. So, i borrowed my friend's macbook installer disk (which is already a leopard version) and I tried to installed it in my laptop. however, a message appears that i can't do it?

Why?

2. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

It's a macbook installer disk(that came with the macbook). It isn't the retail version of Mac OS 10.5. Which means, the only guy who can use that disk is your friend :D

3. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

oh.... That's harsh. So, I can't just rely on any other installer disk.. So, I really have to get a copy of the Leopard installer itself then. Thanks! :)

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

yeah, COPY..... and Get in a sentence :D

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's right. The install discs that are included with a Mac is usually model-specific, it will only work with Macs that are the exact same model. What you want is the retail (boxed) version of Leopard, it's what you need to upgrade any Mac that did not come with Leopard in the box.

6. alistair

alistair Member

You might be able to 'work around' this if the old MBP model you want to upgrade has the same/similar specs (as in, video card, etc) with the new MBP model that came with Leopard.

NOTE: Blah blah blah... we do not condone piracy... blah blah... terms of use... blah blah.

Now that's aside - I had a 1-year old 2.4 GHz MBP that came with Tiger when I bought it. Got a new MBP a month ago, same 2.4GHz model but it came with Leopard.

Before giving away my old MBP I thought about installing Leopard on it. In short, it is technically possible. I don't know if it violates any EULA (which are legally controversial anyway) or whatnot.

The trick isn't even that obscure. Basically, it's the same way to (re) install OS X on Macs that do not have DVD drives (such as the Macbook Air). Hint: firewire target disk mode.

7. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Posted a similar inquiry earlier:
    so if the OS X that came with your MB is hardware specific, that must mean the installers for the hardware (iSight, Mic, Video card etc.) are in those discs. then how would the commercially produced and sold versions match all models, since every model comes with at least one upgrade form the previous one? does that mean the commercially available OS's also come with specific specs?

Apparently:
    The commercially available Leopard disc contains all the package installers for all the models that can support leopard hence the need for a dual layer dvd disc.

8. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

sorry i don't get it...so if i borrow the installer disc from a friend and we have exactly the same spec...the installation will work?

tried it out but it won't...

9. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

I don't think both your computers are exactly the same, if it was then the installer disc should also be the same, make sense? Sometimes the specs looks very similar like in the case of the MBP late 2007 ver 3 and the early 2008 ver 4, they have the same clock speed of 2.4 (but the processor is different, sta rosa vs penryn), the video card is the same, superdrive is the same, but since they are of different version (or generation) install disc of one wont work with the other and vice versa.

10. busrider

busrider Member

have you tried using the Software Update feature of mac?

11. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

I think mizizlim is attempting to upgrade her Tiger installation to Leopard. In this case, software update cannot do this as she needs a separate Leopard installer.

@mizizlim: I think you should just purchase a DVD Installer of Leopard from one of the resellers (or from the Philippine Apple Online store) to avoid issues and for the sake of legality.

12. mizizlim

mizizlim Member

ok, crystal clear....

off to the apple store tomorrow...